Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2007, 18:46   #1

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII
'83 Newport 27-SII Cruiser-Newby

Hello from the Chesapeake and Magothy!

I'm canvasing the internet, absorbing everything I can about cruising do's/don't/want's,etc., and stumbled on this site while learning about Cruiseair "Carry-On" AC units.

I just traded my 1974 O'Day 22 w/new Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke, and 2-year old trailer for an '83 Newport 27-S II back in October of '06, just in time to batten down the hatches for the winter! There turned out to be nothing wrong with the 5411 diesel engine, no hull blisters, just needed new bottom paint, blocks,sheets, and battery, and I'm out to cruise! (except that pesky job keeps me leashed near home in Maryland). I've managed the north end of the Chesapeake so far, from the bridge to Havre de Grace, which is great sailing actually...but I'll be focusing on seeing how far South I get this year (South Chesapeake, I mean...HaHa!)

I guess I don't quite measure up to you true Coastal Cruisers here, but someday.....

I'm originally from Atlantic Beach, FL, so I'm thinking that might be a nice cruise I'll take one of these days.

I thought I'd really stepped up into the big-time with this 27, until I joined this Chesapeake sailing club a couple months ago...and suddenly found myself to be small-fry next to the majority of the club's 35's-45's !! Ouch....I could NOT imagine the expense of these things!!! I paid $3000 for my O'Day 22, $1800 for the new Yamaha, then traded even for the 27, so I'm happy with no bills and loans to pay off....I can buy more stuff!! .....like a CruiseAir maybe. Anybody know why the Carry-On's manual says using an inverter to power it voids the warranty?? How am I supposed to cool off while anchored in a cove on a 95° night on this big bathtub called the Chesapeake?

....Hope to learn from all of you....

Thanks,
Stenn
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 21:40   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Stenn,
Welcome aboard!! I almost bought a Newport 30 and had friends with a 27. I like them but the 27 had a lot of blisters on the hull. Have you had that experience?
I don't like AC so I won't address that part of your post. Hope you like the forum. Lots of good information.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 05:45   #3

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII
Thanks for the Welcome

Hi Skipr, .Thank you for the welcome.....

.....to answer your question about my 27 Newport, in my first post I wrote
"...There turned out to be nothing wrong with the 5411 diesel engine, no hull blisters, just needed new bottom paint, blocks,sheets, and battery, and I'm out to cruise!..."

I think I was very blessed and/or lucky, good karma, etc.

I thought I had bought an orphan when I got this Newport, since the company shut down in the 90's, but when I looked into who designed it, my manual says it was the C&C guys (before they were building their own?). There was also the designer Gary Mull somewhere in there, who I think designed the original series...and mine was the later redesign by C&C (if I have my Capital Yachts/Newport history right).

I've been on a fairly new 32 (I don't remember what make it was) that I could see sunlight coming through the hull from behind the wall-fabric, which is not the case with this '83 Newport, so I think I've stumbled on a pretty well-made boat. The only critcisms I've read about them is that they're light on cleats (originals are a bit small, and none amid-ship for spring-lines), and the cockpit drains could be bigger. I solved the amid-ship cleat issue by adding a couple of track-car adjustable cleats. I suppose I'll need to worry about how fast the cockpit drains if I'm ever out in the open Atlantic, but I can't see that being a concern in the Chesapeake, and it sits pretty high out of the water anyway.

Thanks again for the welcome,
Stenn
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 10:49   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Good deal. I guess I missed the no blisters part of your post. Sounds like you got a good one. I crewed on a Newport 27 a few times in races and found it to be a good boat. I believe the traveler on it was across the main hatch so had to duck quite a bit going down below. Is that how yours is rigged?
I added midship cleats to a Catalina 22 I had many many years ago and found myself tripping on them and stubbing my toes. I decided to not do that again. The issue with cockpit drains is if you ever get pooped by a wave the cockpit will hold a lot of water if it doesn't drain fast enough and you'll be stern down and going slower when the next wave hits. Its a bit of a safety thing and something you might consider correcting if you do decide to go out in the Atlantic.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport vessels