Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 05:50   #61

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: 50 and Ready To Shove Off

We were thinking of the Power of Attorney. Thanks.
Our kids are great so no worries.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:35   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
50 and Ready To Shove Off

Don’t put all that responsibility on one kid, the odds of it making them enemies is pretty good, or at least ill will.
Why did Daddy not pick me?

I don’t see why a will wouldn’t sort everything out?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:35   #63

Boat: a sailing boat

Avoid older steel hulls. These are plenty of maintenance. They also tend to be heavy and sluggish.

Look towards something simple, low maint and popular. That is to say, if you want to do any reasonable sailing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:28   #64

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 40CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Ok Ladies and Gents, it’s time. We”re making our final preparations and need some guidance. We intend to Shove Off the end of November and start our adventure.
Make no mistske, we are by no means “well off”. Just a couple of working class individuals who wish to leave this world with more memories than regrets.

Just in case Neptune calls us home, how do we go about making sure the house, vehicles, townhouse, personal property, savings and checking accounts etc transfers to our two kids with no hassle?

Do we need a lawyer, attorney, estate planner?

Our itinerary hasn’t changed; Corpus Christi to Pensacola to Dry Tortugas to Marathon to Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas and then work our way south. Six months to figure it out and decide if this is as great as we dream it is.

My company has offered 6 on 6 off as long as it works for both of us. So that’s a nice feather.

If, after 6 months we want to continue, we figure we’ll sell it all and sail off into the sunset.

What do we need to consider?
We are doing the same thing but traveling down the east coast. Maybe we will meet you there! haha!
SVMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 15:35   #65

Boat: Tartan 3000

Get yourself a cheap old first boat, 30' +/-, and get on with it. Fiberglass is fine. Your first boat will likely not be your last anyway.

Oh yea, ever try to break thru fiberglass hull? Ever hear of a fiberglass hull failure? Just curious.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:34   #66

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMusic View Post
We are doing the same thing but traveling down the east coast. Maybe we will meet you there! haha!
It would be cool to run across the CF’rs that have helped, corresponded with etc and to finally put a face and attitude with my mental image.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:53   #67

Click image for larger version

Name:	D97A4C1A-1503-4BF0-95FB-A57B75BE0DB4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	174875

Just in case a couple of you jumped into this thread late, we bought a boat. This is us 4 days after Harvey. Lost some soft covers but not a scratch.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:04   #68

Boat: Hunter 33

Quote:
It would be cool to run across the CF’rs that have helped, corresponded with etc and to finally put a face and attitude with my mental image.
I can't say I have been any help to your journey but I can say reading about your journey motivates me.

I am leaving the dock in Cape Coral sometime soon after Thanksgiving heading for the Bahamas. If the timing works out maybe we can buddy boat to the Bahamas from the keys or Sw Florida. It would be cool to meet up with another CF cruiser that happens to be former USMC

Semper Fi
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:55   #69

I will keep you guys posted.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:00   #70

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Attachment 174875

Just in case a couple of you jumped into this thread late, we bought a boat. This is us 4 days after Harvey. Lost some soft covers but not a scratch.
Awesome! Congratulations.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:06   #71

Listen hard to the advice about taking some courses and doing some chartering before you go all in. Then think really hard about what kind of sailing you want to do. Because that will change your boat choices. We have been weekend and holiday sailing for 30 years in the UK, based in the Solent. We have no intention of crossing an ocean or spending more than a few days at sea without stopping. So our choice is a relatively small, fast, fibreglass yacht with an inboard diesel engine and a simple sail plan. What it does have is reasonable space for two of us to sleep.

We have never regretted spending cash on sailing schools. My wife is a Yachtmaster, and I am a Coastal Skipper (RYA qualifications) We can both do all the roles on the boat, including navigating, driving, mooring, docking, etc. We also have first aid and radio qualifications. We had on boat tuition as well in the early years.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 04:57   #72

Hello Petermjdavies, it’s too late for chartering for us, we bought a Cutter Rigged 1982 36’ Cape Dory 3 years ago and have been making small improvements and learning to sail. She is slow, sturdy, not too small and more than capable of making long ocean passages, which we are looking forward to.....off the grid, off the beaten path and away from the masses.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:35   #73

Anyone still here?
We made it to the Bahamas and back. Hauled out in Indiantown, went back to work for a year and half, spent about $20K on upgrades and improvements, started a 501C3 non-profit charity and are headed back to the boat in 3 weeks and will be working our way south to Grenada as we hand out toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss and teach the kids about dental health.
We figured it would give us a purpose other than randomly sailing around, diving, exploring, trying not to sink the boat etc.
We made some videos, SV Mingus on youtube. They’re not very good but they're ours.
Our charity is Sailing4Smiles. We’ll be posting videos of helping the kids out in 2021.
The moral of the story is, at 50 we bought a boat, never sailed before in our lives. At 54 we sailed the boat from Corpus Christi, TX, up the Mississippi River a little to Pensacola, Ten Thousand Islands, Fort Jefferson / Dry Tortugas and then the Bahamas. At 56 we’re heading out again and this time it’s going to be WAY bigger adventures....but safer and more fun with hopefully less panic.
Stay tuned.
Old 12-12-2020, 14:18   #74

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Glad to hear the update. Congrats on the pending departure.
Old 20-12-2020, 07:27   #75

Boat: Looking now!

Congrats, good luck, and thank you very much for sharing your progress through these adventures!
I'm especially interested in your progress due to a lot of similarities I see with my own aspirations.
I have a "greet" in this section titled "Greetings from Germany" or some such.

Until 2015, my family and I lived in Colorado Springs ourselves. We still have a rental home there (Stetson Hills area)
In any case. Fair Winds and Following Seas and thanks again!
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote