Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 23:53   #46

Re: 50 and Ready To Shove Off

You are two impressive sailors, you came in asked some questions, BAM-bought a boat, BAM-retired from working for the man, BAM-sailed away!

Awesome, I hope you have many more happy miles and thanks for the update to your thread and the new picture!
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 01:55   #47

Congratulations - keep chasing the dream and head over to Borneo! We have a few deserted islands where you can enjoy those bbqs and Mai Tais!
dryhillsjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 05:08   #48

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

We’re adding to the cruising kitty right now, we didn’t retire, just quit. I’ve got two solar panels up and working and two more to mount. The Admiral wants a water maker and I want AIS and some PLB’s that will work with the AIS so we can pick ourselves up......just in case. The taxes on the purchase of the boat was a big hit.
We’re in process of getting the Coast Guard re-documentation done.
Trying to find places to store everything is a real chore. I think we’ll need to make another trip back to Colorado to off load everything that didn’t find a home on the boat.
The water tanks have been scrubbed clean, the water heater is being replaced, the propane tanks have been relocated out of the rear lazerrette......lots more room now and we’re slowly working on all those little unplanned projects that pop up when you’re working on the planned ones.
We got a Sailrite sewing machine, wow that thing is a monster but will nearly sew through steel plates. It’s making lee clothes and a boom / sail cover right now but will soon start on the wore out bimini.
And my brother got me a magnet from one of those large windmills you see everywhere. It resides on the bow of the boat far away from the compass and navigational instruments and truly will pick up a small car. It’s been great for recovering lost tools.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 05:15   #49

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

Borneo is going to take a few years. We’re doing all the Carib islands first down to the Port of Spain. Afterwards the Panama Canal and the S Pac Islands then slowly over to Madagascar, Australia and then Indochina and Borneo.
If it works out right, this adventure will let us explore the world until we physically can’t do it anymore.......or until we find something else to fixate on.
Old 20-02-2018, 13:23   #50

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There, ya go, SSgtPitt, do it as long as it is fun and you love it.

Ann
Old 31-07-2018, 21:24   #51

Ok Ladies and Gents, it’s time. We”re making our final preparations and need some guidance. We intend to Shove Off the end of November and start our adventure.
Make no mistske, we are by no means “well off”. Just a couple of working class individuals who wish to leave this world with more memories than regrets.

Just in case Neptune calls us home, how do we go about making sure the house, vehicles, townhouse, personal property, savings and checking accounts etc transfers to our two kids with no hassle?

Do we need a lawyer, attorney, estate planner?

Our itinerary hasn’t changed; Corpus Christi to Pensacola to Dry Tortugas to Marathon to Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas and then work our way south. Six months to figure it out and decide if this is as great as we dream it is.

My company has offered 6 on 6 off as long as it works for both of us. So that’s a nice feather.

If, after 6 months we want to continue, we figure we’ll sell it all and sail off into the sunset.

What do we need to consider?
Old 31-07-2018, 21:44   #52

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'd say an internet forum is a bad place for that kind of advice. But, FWIW, I had to deal with my father's stuff when he passed and he had put everything (house, bank accounts, etc.) except retirement accounts into a living trust. With pretty much everything in the trust it was dead easy to deal with the paperwork, no probate, just dot a few 'i's' and cross a few 't's'.

The retirement accounts all had a beneficiary assigned and so those were really simple as well. Provide the trustee with a copy of the death certificate and the rest was automatic. File a last tax return.

There's a fair amount of paperwork up front to set up the trust and move all the assets into the trust, but after that it is pretty simple.

Just my two cents based on a single experience and no professional knowledge whatsoever.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:17   #53

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I'd say an internet forum is a bad place for that kind of advice. But, FWIW, I had to deal with my father's stuff when he passed and he had put everything (house, bank accounts, etc.) except retirement accounts into a living trust. With pretty much everything in the trust it was dead easy to deal with the paperwork, no probate, just dot a few 'i's' and cross a few 't's'.

The retirement accounts all had a beneficiary assigned and so those were really simple as well. Provide the trustee with a copy of the death certificate and the rest was automatic. File a last tax return.

There's a fair amount of paperwork up front to set up the trust and move all the assets into the trust, but after that it is pretty simple.

Just my two cents based on a single experience and no professional knowledge whatsoever.
I'll second this. Very similar situation with our father and similar results. Make sure the bank accounts, retirement accounts, and insurance policies all have a designated beneficiary. Then go to a lawyer and have them do the paperwork (to make sure it's right for your jurisdiction) to put everything else into a living trust. Your executor and beneficiaries should have little difficulty. Good on you for thinking ahead. Surprisingly few people do.

You've got a great trip outlined and a solid plan. Please keep us posted on your preparations and on your trip. We'll be following with considerable interest.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:35   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Also, be aware at 50, you probably will enjoy good health for some while. It is probably more comfortable to deal with this in your area in the States before you depart US waters, but cutting yourself a little slack on the timing, if you have more pressing matters, is unlikely to do harm.

Ann
Old 01-08-2018, 02:56   #55

Boat: Leopard 39

Hi There,

Do take some ASA courses through to bare boat charters, it will provide the basics and an incomplete learning framework for you to fill in with your personal experiences as you go. I would shy away from steel unless you plan high latitude sailing where ice is a possibility. Steel is high in upkeep costs, and there will be far fewer boats to choose from if steel is a qualifier. Your dreams will change, all of ours do when tempered by the world; remember, the important thing is to HAVE them, not to realize them.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:40   #56

Boat: Hunter 33

Former Marine here following in your footsteps. Bought my first sailboat about 6 months ago and taking off to the Caribbean in December for 2-3 months. If all goes well-selling everything and moving up to a bluewater boat and shoving off in 2 years when I turn 50

Great post please keep us updated on your trip
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 19:50   #57

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sarge, a book on how to sail is like a book on how to make babies.

It doesn't quite give you an adequate preparation for the real experience.

Go to sailing school. And not with the wife, but separately.

I want to emphasize your point about taking the class separately. I signed my wife and daughters up for asa 101. They were on the same small boat. It was a disaster. My wife was too busy being mom, my daughters were too busy in their roles. None of them particularly too any pleas from the experience.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 21:02   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I can't advise on the legal stuff.. but just want to say well done!
We see so many newbies with similar dreams as yours, but it is so very rare to see them realised...
Your posts are always upbeat and positive and you seem like really nice people.. I hope you continue to make the most of this adventure and keep us posted ...
So refreshing.. Thank you..
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 21:12   #59

Thumbs up Re: 50 and Ready To Shove Off

My wife and I do a lot together, she hung w me during my USMC days, we camp together, hike together, got scuba certified together, dive together, bought and ride Harleys together, travel and explore together, bought this boat together got ASA certified together and now intend to shove off and do this Waterworld adventure together.

In the short years since my first post we’ve come a long way. We sought out and purchased a strong forgiving boat and have steadily increased our knowledge by getting out and sailing, fixing everything that breaks and reading all we can. CF has been our primary source and the links to other sources keep us occupied for hours.

We now have 4 solar panels pouring the suns energy into 4 - Trojan T125’s.
Click image for larger version

Name:	70A79CB4-699E-4305-965B-9E96B195FA32.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	174805

We finally finished our Coast Guard re-documentation

Name:	D3D5423C-4279-4C49-A323-504A82DDFB9B.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	174806Click image for larger version

Name:	20EC737A-5896-45C8-93BC-1B4130C2F3A1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	174807
And will be attending to the proper renaming procedures in Sept.

Heidi has been making lee clothes for the v-berth, quarter berth and mid-ship storage. This should keep everything in place.

We have new throttle and shifter cables.... we lost all control a few weeks ago leaving the docks...scared the beejezus out of us. Only by sheer will and luck were we able to get back without running into anything.

Our Jib and Staysail have been refurbished. We beefed the staysail up and added reef points to it so it can be our storm’sl.

We bought a “Gybe Easy” and have learned to use it..... only after losing our traveler and cars to an uncontrolled gybe and having to lasso the main boom back to center and drop the main sail on the deck....sheer dumb luck we didn’t loose the standing rigging. We’ve since installed a new traveler and cars from Garhaur. Our rig was 1982 original.

Name:	8BD52EE9-EEC6-42FF-87B5-3583CFE80B6C.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	174808Click image for larger version

Name:	3F808E7E-3050-4577-94A2-1A2C836F8E79.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	174809

We have three anchors; a CQR, a new Spade and a Fortress. Unfortunately we have not anchored out yet, never anchored.....EVER!

GAWD we’ve got a lot to learn. But it’s better to die with really great memories than a ton of regrets. Here’s to really great memories

We have a LOT to learn
Old 02-08-2018, 22:21   #60

Boat: Nordic 44

If your kids are trustworthy give one of them your power of attorney. No, the kid does not have to be an attorney, just someone that is level headed and that you can trust not to cheat you or the other kid.

With the power of attorney the kid can act in your behalf on any matter that comes up.

When I went cruising I gave my sister my power of attorney. It just so happens that she is an attorney but she is a criminal prosecutor and knows nothing about business. This came in handy a few times when I was in remote corners of the world.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote