Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 13:51   #1

Wow ! Look at How Much I'll Have to Pay at the Southampton Boat Show !

I'm reading about Southampton boat show and it turns out that to get full benefits of the show I would have to:

a. Pay for the entrance - ok by me, all shows do that. 20 pounds at the gate is a bit steep comparing to European shows, but it's the British Isles, so higher prices are expected.

b. Pay [6 pounds] for the show map - ??? why is a customer supposed to pay extra (in addition to the show entrance fee) to find businesses they need? Shouldn't map expenses be payable by the exhibitors? After all, it's they who want customers to visit them, no?

c. Pay for boat try-outs - looking at Southampton website turns out some boat companies do paid try-outs of their boats. Did boat companies give up on the whole pre-screening and enticing customer with test sails? I'm not looking at any power boats, but seeing Princess Motor Yachts offer paid "power boat experience" at the show kinda puts them into the whole quick [cheap?] charter status. Imho, it goes against the image of rich, famous, and special that they're trying to sell.

Looks like I'm not used to British yachting culture...

Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:47   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Wow ! Look at How Much I'll Have to Pay at the Southampton Boat Show !

The last time I went to the Shouhampton Show they had a good deal for people from outside the UK. Show your passport and you got a multi-day pass for a one-day fee and a bag of goodies, including the map. I think I got a chit for the Guiness booth too...
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:52   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

£16 pounds if you advance buy over the net. You dont need the map, theres free information available and people on roller skates that look up the exhibitors.

Its a very good show, easily the best European on-water show

Dave
Old 16-09-2011, 13:08   #4

Thanks for the input! It's good to know about the signs, because I already imagined that there would be just salespeople standing on each corner trying to sell you as many show guide books as possible... "where is xxx?" "Well, this guide book will show you..."
So I got the list of all exhibitors from the website, grouped them by sections and priority, and wrote out a plan.

The international pass is not, by my knowledge, available, so I got a two-day pass and one day pass thus saving a cost of food for one day (or lunch?).

I was at La Rochelle boat show last year - it was very productive. So I'm very much looking forward to the Southampton one. Just worried that I won't have enough time to cover everything in 3 days.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 16-09-2011, 17:43   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Thanks for the input! It's good to know about the signs, because I already imagined that there would be just salespeople standing on each corner trying to sell you as many show guide books as possible... "where is xxx?" "Well, this guide book will show you..."
So I got the list of all exhibitors from the website, grouped them by sections and priority, and wrote out a plan.

The international pass is not, by my knowledge, available, so I got a two-day pass and one day pass thus saving a cost of food for one day (or lunch?).

I was at La Rochelle boat show last year - it was very productive. So I'm very much looking forward to the Southampton one. Just worried that I won't have enough time to cover everything in 3 days.

Thanks for the replies!
well I do it comfortably in one day. I mean unless you want to stop at every exhibitor.

Dave
Old 17-09-2011, 01:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
well I do it comfortably in one day. I mean unless you want to stop at every exhibitor.

Dave
I have 17 in must-stop-and-talk category with another 12 in interesting-if-I-have-time. Should be enough time to cover all.

Thanks
Old 17-09-2011, 01:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Go, and don't think about the cost -- it's worth it! Best boat show on the planet.

I went last year for one day and was sorry I didn't leave time for two. It's fun just to hang out. And there are great places to sit and rest your feet and have a drink.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 02:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Go, and don't think about the cost -- it's worth it! Best boat show on the planet.

I went last year for one day and was sorry I didn't leave time for two. It's fun just to hang out. And there are great places to sit and rest your feet and have a drink.
Thanks! On the other hand it was not very easy to find a place to stay. By the time we decided to go to the show, all conveniently located Southampton places were fully booked and the alternatives were a train ride away. After looking into it, we chose a West Cowes B&B. The travel on Red Jet is a bit more expensive, but it'll be like a show all in itself - very much looking forward to it! Do you think it's a good choice?
Old 17-09-2011, 02:53   #9
Nearly an old salt

Cowes is very cute

Dave

Tags
boat show, southampton