Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 00:47   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Would Like Other Cruisers Ideas for a Plan

I have a older Morgan O.I.land 33' I just replaced the head on the motor most of the boat is ready to go.

What I had in mind is that I move away from the dock to save some money to finish the boat where I can make the Great loop well half of it then do a refit there.

I have lived on the boat around 3 years now and love it, my bills will drop around $450 drop in cost. there is a great place next to this marina and can use city dock. use the dinghy but bring the boat into the dock for a day to recharge Battery's and take on water get food. There is also great parking right at the police station.

I have 1,100 AH bank so I plan to buy a used for now Generator for around $300 and Outboard for my dighy for around $300

The cost I dock the boat now is over $500 a month.

I would stay there until I can replace the lower ends of my rigging. by then start moving north motor/sail until I get to St Louis where I have a house and a great cheap slip.

At this point I am unsure over where to step the mast and cost. Any lock fees. I plan to buy a Guide Book for the Loop at West Marine so I hope it has some answers.

well any input would be nice, coukd be something I have not thought of.

Thanks Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Hey fellow outislander! Go solar, I run fridge and everything else from solar and wind. I tried the generator thing and didn't like it a bit. I carried it for two years before giving it away. I've read there's a manual crane that is used for mast stepping in the one section of the loop where its gotta come down. We live on the hook. Get good at transporting bike(s) in dinghy. Where are you starting?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Do you need to step mast now or to get around loop? When I stepped mine I found a place near a seawall where crane could set up, then made arrangements with a crane company so I caught him coming back from another job. That way he got $200 for less than an hour and I got to avoid the $400 minimum because I waited for it to be convenient for him.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:06   #4

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I am starting out at Jacksonville FL and I plan to get the Windgen next month and ask the wife to buy some solar at the same time. So the way I see it my only loss is TV and charging for the first month, but this city maria will let you dock for the day use Elect. water free. Was thinking hit it one or two times a week to shop and charge.

If I can make it the first month I will have it made, and just stock the boat for the trip. Work on my Way points.

Thank you for the advice,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote