Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2007, 17:50   #1

My sense is you can do it with a little reserve fund if some big breaks. But it depends on where you cruise and what you do ashore that costs. No rent, small mooring fees if any, a bit for fuel and water and then you have food. That's a budget of $100/ day. Sounds doable to me.

Go for it.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 19:48   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24 Ft. Mighty Merry Too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim View Post
I am assuming by definition, you mean those who cruise full time? My husband is 47, and I`m soon to be 52, and our plan is to shove off full time in our Vagabond 42 no later than November 09. I would be very interested in hearing "approximates" in terms of how much or how little people can cruise full time.

Although our incomes and resources exceed $3,000.00 per month, this is what we think we can comfortably cruise with. If my budget is out of line, please let me know.

I don`t want to outlive my money, just want to enjoy my retirement. Should I be looking at increasing? We don`t want to stay at Marina`s all the time, but neither do we want to drop the pick .5 mile from conveniences.

Thanks!
Sounds like plenty to me but then I spent a lot of time in areas of the world where the dollar bought a lot more than it does here or probably the Caribbean. When single handed, in later years,I did pay to have some work done vs. doing it myself. After John and I got together on one boat we did almost all boat maintenance ourselves. Although we did replace the rigging for instance in South Africa for far less than we could have done it here. Over all we spent far less than the amount you are speaking of but we did enjoy anchoring where we were 1/2 mile or more from conveniences. So much of the enjoyment we found was participating with the locals to the degree we didn't feel like tourists. Just the fact you have your home with you helps achieve that, using the local transportation when available, shopping in the local markets etc. etc. and all of that usually at such reasonable prices. The one think I chuckled at in Aitutaki in the Cook Island was the natives attitude they purchased eggs shipped in from New Zealand although there were chickens running around all over but the eggs they laid should be left for the "poor people." Now that I think of it I wish I had included that in my book.
Good luck and enjoy.
Mary, the Antique Sailor
sailorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 20:55   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorm View Post
[$3000/month]Sounds like plenty to me but then I spent a lot of time in areas of the world where the dollar bought a lot more than it does here or probably the Caribbean. . . Over all we spent far less than the amount you are speaking of but we did enjoy anchoring where we were 1/2 mile or more from conveniences.
Mary, my recollection is that you did your cruising in the 70s, possibly the 80s, as well. Keep in mind, the dollar of today is far from the dollar of those times.

For instance, using the Bureau of Labor Statistics own Inflation Calculator, $3000 in 2007 equates to the following:

1970: $558.81
1975: $774.85
1980: $1186.76
1985: $1549.70
1990: $1882.39

I, for one, and many others, do not believe the government's methodology for calculating inflation is accurate - they have a vested interest in making inflation look as benign as possible. My suspicion, therefore, is that the figures above are a best case scenario; i.e. the figures above would actually be lower than they are if inflation were calculated accurately.

That said, I do admire the cruising you did "back in the day." And I love the story about leaving the locally produced eggs for the "poor people."

TaoJones