Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2013, 09:19   #91

Re: Why you should not trust the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Frankly, it wasn't the words but the spirit of it

I've seen it too many times, been recipient of, random acts of kindness that defy all cynicism. Besides, what's the worst could happen here, someone gives a guy a boat? Are we upset he might get a free boat, or that if he does, he doesn't deserve it. Gotta tell you, few in this world deserve anything, but we get it anyways. That's the beauty of it all. Don't know this guy, will never know him, but I wish him the best, just like I wish the best for you

Cheers,
Erika
One cannot solicit a random act of kindness.
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 09:37   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
After reading some of these replies, I get the mental image of the OP sitting back eating popcorn
Say its not so!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 10:28   #93

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Why you should not trust the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
One cannot solicit a random act of kindness.
Yes you can, it's called asking for help. The random part is with the giver not the receiver.

Lord, why do I feel like a do good guru( im not!) this isn't rocket science. There are many things to be cynical over, doctors who think they know what they are doing, politicians promising even the simplest of progress, all banking executives.
But this is a sailing forum, we are all here with a dream. Some come to escape, to pretend, some to disvover. Some will never see the ocean at night, see all those stars from horizon to horizon, or feel the rudder hum as your vessel screams down a wave.
But if you can't dream big here, dream crazy big, then where the heck can you?

Old 15-02-2013, 22:10   #94

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simple.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	54892  
Old 15-02-2013, 23:53   #95

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
After reading some of these replies, I get the mental image of the OP sitting back eating popcorn
I am with Tim R on this one. Way too entertaining. Pass the popcorn please.
Old 16-02-2013, 00:07   #96

Boat: Skookum 53'

I recall the OPs previous thread, and it was offering the same as it is now, excellent cruising grounds, wonderful diving, charter opportunity with no competition, inside track with local contacts. As far as I know, no one has taken him up on his offer. What I don't understand is the attacks on him for asking for what he wants. If the premise bothers you then move on, why take a dump on someone else? If you put out positive into the universe, more times than not it comes back to you, the same is true with negative, so if you view the world with crap colored glasses then that is what you will see, and most likely step in. The man has not denigrated anyone. Cudos to those who are working hard to make their dream a reality, I am following that same path as well, I am not angry that someone else has the faith to put what they want out into the universe and has belief it will come to them. My faith is not that strong, maybe one day it will be, until then I will keep making the payments. If he is indeed a scammer, then what he puts out will come back to him, ask yourselves this what if his offer is genuine? What would it cost to find out? I'd be willing to bet that if one of the nay sayers were to put half the energy in finding out, as they do in flaming this guy, they would know the truth and engage or move on depending on the results.
Old 16-02-2013, 06:05   #97

Boat: O'Day 28

If there is someone out there who doesn't know, here is the textbook. The authors are mediums that channel "Abraham", a wise spirit. Amazon has it for $10.17 +. I don't see any harm in the practice. And this is the kind of thing that has put Sedona, Arizona on the map. And as OG, and the OP have indicated, where's the harm in loving yer fellow men, and dreaming crazy big?

All CFers have used the method to get the boat they wanted when you think about it. Most of us did a little more than ask for one but the game's the same. I'll have to wish the guy well, I guess, to keep my karma happy but I think when he posted that beefcake pic, Virginia Boy's diagnosis of narcissicm was dead on. It was an unpleasant challenge and even the best do gooder knows it. He looked like a scary dude to me. And odds are, that wasn't even him. This is the Internet. As an example:
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 06:56   #98

Boat: hunter 376

I recall a news story about a reporter here in Vancouver who gave some change to a homeless panhandler, then overheard him invite another panhandler over after his "shift" for some dinner, beer, and some Playstation 2. The reporter was really incensed, because he thought he was helping out a fellow down on his luck, not a professional beggar whose income rivaled his own.
Same story.. different day.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:22   #99
Marine Service Provider

I hope none of you that has "Purchased" a boat or anything else "Begged" for a better price than the boat was offered for...of course you didnt,that would be beneath you! You pay full price on everything,its how you roll..Big shots that eat the best and throw the rest away and dare a hungry man to take the scraps out of the trash..If the wealthy dont soon start sharing the wealth they will soon share the poverty....Im sure one of the fortunate blind will come back and slam me for this...I cant wait to see what kind of boat they have...
Old 16-02-2013, 08:54   #100

Boat: csy 37

i guess my problem with the op is that it sounds just like a nigerian scam. the only thing missing is the offer of milllions of dollars waiting for me in the maldives.

i too help the helpless. i'm not an uncaring person. there are a few down-on-their-luck liveaboards in our anchorage who i regularly help out with driving them here and there and providing food and clothing when they really need it. but i know them personally and i personally know how and why they are where they are.

the op is none of that. he doesn't explain why he is incapable of providing for himself, or working a job to reach a goal. like a preacher, he's trading ******** for bucks....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 08:54   #101

Boat: Ohlson 38

[QUOTE=tropicalescape;1159885]I hope none of you that has "Purchased" a boat or anything else "Begged" for a better price than the boat was offered for...of course you didnt,that would be beneath you! You pay full price on everything,its how you roll..Big shots that eat the best and throw the rest away and dare a hungry man to take the scraps out of the trash..If the wealthy dont soon start sharing the wealth they will soon share the poverty....Im sure one of the fortunate blind will come back and slam me for this...I cant wait to see what kind of boat they have...[

I have no problem with a guy asking for a free boat. I hope he gets one. The problem I have is with a series of posts by the OP that reads like a Nigerian email scam. Some people are vulnerable, some not.

There may or may not be a fox in the henhouse, but red flags are waving.

A communities only reasonable response to this type of potential threat, is to raise an alert in order to protect those gullible few who may be lured into such a snare. The alarm has been raised, the people warned.

As is always the case, there will be those idealistic few who'll wax philosophical and defend the free spirited and enlightened OP, but will secretly be suspicious.
That's why no one has emailed him. Truth comes not from the mouth but from the feet.

From the OP:
"I have removed all limitation from my life, therefore I think big, I dream big. Why would I dream small? I don't want a boat that is "ready to sink" or someones nightmare, or discard, neglect, or collection of negative thoughts and beliefs. I can have whatever I ask for......

I know now that not only is someone going to give me their yacht, but it is going to be an awesome one far beyond what I initially imagined and for one simple reason, I have a purpose for it, a destination, a goal, and the spirit of a dream. That's all I need."
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 09:08   #102
Marine Service Provider

I understand the scam part. Maybe I missed something, but he isnt asking for money too, is he? I had a guy send me a check for $9800.00 once for an ultralight(scam) but he wanted me to send the shipper some money...I think the problem w/ the op is he is not very creative,if he really wanted a boat on the cheap he should go out to the marinas and ask them ...unless he is sitting in Africa somewhere this should work!
Old 16-02-2013, 09:11   #103
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

If there is someone out there who doesn't know, here is the textbook. The authors are mediums that channel "Abraham", a wise spirit. Amazon has it for $10.17 +. I don't see any harm in the practice. And this is the kind of thing that has put Sedona, Arizona on the map. And as OG, and the OP have indicated, where's the harm in loving yer fellow men, and dreaming crazy big?

All CFers have used the method to get the boat they wanted when you think about it. Most of us did a little more than ask for one but the game's the same. I'll have to wish the guy well, I guess, to keep my karma happy but I think when he posted that beefcake pic, Virginia Boy's diagnosis of narcissicm was dead on. It was an unpleasant challenge and even the best do gooder knows it. He looked like a scary dude to me. And odds are, that wasn't even him. This is the Internet. As an example:
I did miss something,I didnt see the photo of a "beefcake"...
Old 16-02-2013, 10:26   #104

Quote:
captain58sailin;1159692]I recall the OPs previous thread, and it was offering the same as it is now, excellent cruising grounds, wonderful diving, charter opportunity with no competition, inside track with local contacts. As far as I know, no one has taken him up on his offer.
Go back and read the op's posts carefully and you will see that he is in no position to offer that opportunity.

Quote:
so if you view the world with crap colored glasses...
I view the world through polarized glasses. That way you can see the bottom feeders very clearly.

Quote:
Cudos to those who are working hard to make their dream a reality
thank you
Old 16-02-2013, 10:47   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why you should never give up on dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
I view the world through polarized glasses. That way you can see the bottom feeders very clearly.

YooHoo.... Hellooooooo...
Nice glasses...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote