Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2008, 08:49   #16

Boat: B24
<I remember ... watching the submarine races...>

Them's the ones...
Old 20-02-2008, 16:31   #17

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
Odd idea i've occasionally had bouncing around in my head. Don't mean to drift the thread but I don't think it warrants a new thread.

Take an old diesel U-Boat. Add amas to make it a Tri. Add a sail rig.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 15:49   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Good idea about fresh new challenges, but we can't stop pushing the envelope. We would have never hit the sound barrier, crossed the Atlantic, climbed Everest, let alone the MOON, and the list is HUGE!. It is the risk takers that spring us forward.

Some explore from the armchair, and some explore with their lives on the line. I guess you shouldn't send an ambulance to a poor house with a heart attack victim, because us taxpayers will pay for that too. I am sure we pay for more ambulance rides than boats saved in $ amounts.

One of the best sailors on S.F. Bay died a few years back right on the bay. Because he couldn't get his boots off. RISKS are everywhere on every corner. Let's not shut down the human spirit.

I almost bought a BOC boat that was a couple of years old before I bought my cat. I bought the cat, because I met my wife. You think Hassler, and the others wouldn't have used a radio if they could, or taken a GPS? They like Magellan left with the best technology they could afford. Still today you need to be resourceful to try, and save your own butt. How many of you have On Star system? Shame on you if you do, or are you just taking advantage of today's technology.

I say let the HUMAN SPIRIT thrive, and the rest of us will reap the rewards. Pushing the envelope makes for better developement. No one is forcing you to single-hand the Southern Ocean. STAY ON YOUR LAKE, YOUR BAY, or where ever your heart desires, but never hold those back that in some way we benefit from. just my humble .02 cents
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 16:17   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Let's not shut down the human spirit.

How many of you have On Star system? Shame on you if you do, or are you just taking advantage of today's technology.

That is sort of what I was thinking.
Technological advances......well........Some can afford it earlier than others.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 01:47   #20

Re: Why Sponsor and encourage Bad Seamanship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
In my early days, I remember my girlfriend and I watching the submarine races on many a starry night.

My condolences. I, too, attended the odd submarine race with my missus, but I never got the chance or inclination to look out the windows. Much better view inside the car.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 04:31   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

9 year dead thread and a response to total thread drift. That's some necro-posting!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 04:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
9 year dead thread and a response to total thread drift. That's some necro-posting!
They really need to highlight posts older than 3 months in a different color. I was ready to respond.

Oh what the heck:

1) Greenest....before we can do that we need to define what is "green". I've seen far too many "green" products that are anything but...
2) If the goal is to encourage safety and proper seamanship, single hand by definition, violates the requirement to have a watch at all times.
3) Now that would be a good one but how about a submersible with tow-able solar array. You could have say a 100kw array with umbilical that you tow powering the boat but during storm conditions, both would submerge (even 20-30' depth would get you out of the worst of a storm). When conditions get better, you resurface and continue on. In port, it might be a bit of a hassle though.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 17:26   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Ahh, the good old days.
SV, how ya doin'?
Pelagic - same
Stu, I see you are still here.

Ahhh....