Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 12:03   #301
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: “Why Most Published Research Findings Are False”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
I don't know if both sets of data come from the same satellite, but they certainly don't come from the same instruments. The UAH data pertains to atmospheric temperatures, while the Atmospheric Infra-Red Sounder (AIRS) data measures Earth's surface temperature.
you are correct in not all here today at hospital dad was just diagnosed with sarcoma .
The fact is still that sp Dr Spencer was involved with both projects.
Old 15-05-2019, 12:09   #302

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
No, for reasons I've explained before, "denier", which is shorthand for "climate change science denier" is more accurate than "skeptic", which is shorthand for "climate change science skeptic".
Well, for the sake of accuracy, it's based on reasons you've opined about before, as have I. You've only explained, as have I, why we each believe our respective & opposite opinions are correct. Not a nitpick, just another example illustrating the distinction between opinion & fact. In my opinion, only an irrefutable fact can logically be "denied."
Old 15-05-2019, 12:10   #303
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, for reasons I've explained before, "denier", which is shorthand for "climate change science denier" is more accurate than "skeptic", which is shorthand for "climate change science skeptic".
except for one major point . I don't deny anything as to the fact that the climate is changing . It has always changed and will continue to change for the next approximately 4.5 billion years till sol becomes a yellow giant and its corona envelops the earths orbit .
I just don't agree that man has had any significant effect on the climate of the planet .
The testing of nuclear weapons not withstanding.

We all know that has had an effect .
Old 15-05-2019, 12:11   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you are correct in not all here today at hospital dad was just diagnosed with sarcoma.
Ugh. Sorry Newhaul. Fingers crossed for effective treatment.
Old 15-05-2019, 12:11   #305

Quote:
you are correct in not all here today at hospital dad was just diagnosed with sarcoma .
The fact is still that sp Dr Spencer was involved with both projects.
Not a happy diagnosis. Wishing your father and family the best.
Old 15-05-2019, 12:13   #306
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Ugh. Sorry Newhaul. Fingers crossed for effective treatment.
waiting to find out if its malignant or benign .

Thanks for the well wishes
Old 15-05-2019, 12:14   #307
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not a happy diagnosis. Wishing your father and family the best.
thanks for that
I know we Al! Debate sometimes to much but in the end we are all sailors
And that trumps all the other stuff
Old 15-05-2019, 12:22   #308

Quote:
thanks for that
I know we Al! Debate sometimes to much but in the end we are all sailors
And that trumps all the other stuff
Oh no. We know you didn't mean to trigger anyone, but let's hope SailOar is still on his methane high. Maybe JimB can tell us how long that stuff lasts at ground level.

Hoping, of course, for you & your Dad to hear "benign."
Old 15-05-2019, 12:23   #309

Quote:
today at hospital dad was just diagnosed with sarcoma

Very sorry to hear about that. Your dad has my best wishes for a successful treatment and a full recovery.
Old 15-05-2019, 12:31   #310

Quote:
except for one major point . I don't deny anything as to the fact that the climate is changing . It has always changed and will continue to change for the next approximately 4.5 billion years till sol becomes a yellow giant and its corona envelops the earths orbit .
I just don't agree that man has had any significant effect on the climate of the planet .
The testing of nuclear weapons not withstanding.

We all know that has had an effect .
Yes, I understand that. That is why I further clarified that "denier" is shorthand for "climate change science denier." As you've stated many times you deny the conclusions of the vast majority of climate change scientists. You don't deny that climate changes.

For some of the reasons you deny conventional climate science you have a fig-leaf's worth of scientific rationale. In those few instances one might consider calling you a climate change science skeptic. But on a large number of CC issues you refuse to accept even well-documented scientific conclusions (for instance, that the heat-island effect has been properly accounted for, and that high-latitudes are warming faster than mid- and lower-latitudes). IMHO, these conclusions you've reached take you out of the climate change science skeptic camp and put you into the climate change science denier camp.
Old 15-05-2019, 13:11   #311
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. That is why I further clarified that "denier" is shorthand for "climate change science denier." As you've stated many times you deny the conclusions of the vast majority of climate change scientists. You don't deny that climate changes.

For some of the reasons you deny conventional climate science you have a fig-leaf's worth of scientific rationale. In those few instances one might consider calling you a climate change science skeptic. But on a large number of CC issues you refuse to accept even well-documented scientific conclusions (for instance, that the heat-island effect has been properly accounted for, and that high-latitudes are warming faster than mid- and lower-latitudes). IMHO, these conclusions you've reached take you out of the climate change science skeptic camp and put you into the climate change science denier camp.
except it isn't
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05/...-term-warming/

Except it isn't
The recently published paper Recent Global Warming as Confirmed by AIRS used 15 years of infrared satellite data to obtain a rather strong global surface warming trend of +0.24 C/decade. Objections have been made to that study by me (e.g. here) and others, not the least of which is the fact that the 2003-2017 period addressed had a record warm El Nino near the end (2015-16), which means the computed warming trend over that period is not entirely human-caused warming

Roy Spencer, PhD

All the relevant data is here .

See all the above and hence I am a skeptic .
Old 15-05-2019, 13:16   #312
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Oh no. We know you didn't mean to trigger anyone, but let's hope SailOar is still on his methane high. Maybe JimB can tell us how long that stuff lasts at ground level.

Hoping, of course, for you & your Dad to hear "benign."
small t = trumps
not capital T. =Trump's

There is a difference one means it takes precedence

The other means improves the American capitalistic economy
Aka snowflake trigger.
Old 15-05-2019, 13:20   #313

Quote:

Moving beyond Newhaul's particular opinions for the time being, doesn't it depend on what exactly the conclusions of the "vast majority" of climate change scientists are, and which of those conclusions somebody is rejecting? Otherwise you run the risk of putting everyone into two camps, and even you would probably agree there are more than two opinions in the science as to many aspects of the overall issue. Different scientific opinions on the role of natural forces alone is likely something less than a "vast majority," to say nothing of varying opinions on the degree of impacts. Wouldn't it just be simpler, and certainly less divisive, to say that some people disagree with [fill in blank] conclusions of CC scientists?

You may not agree and that's fine, but I for one would think it might then be easier to promote the add'l actions you desire by invoking, to cite one example, the oft-cited "precautionary principle." That way those who believe (again, for e.g.) that CC exists, that it supercedes natural forces, but are skeptical about its impacts may be persuaded to come onboard. Maybe the "actions" you guys have been clamoring for should be less about encouraging more solar, wind, and carbon taxes, and more about thinking of ways to find such areas of common ground. Leaving aside my previously stated objections to the use of such labels for a moment, I also fail to see -- as a more practical manner -- how they do anything but lose potential constituents.

So what is it exactly you believe so important (i.e. will be accomplished) by placing people into these affirmer/skeptic/denier categories? Hopefully it's something more productive (and less silly) than just some of the gratuitous insults many of us toss at each other in the course of these threads.
Old 15-05-2019, 13:59   #314

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
...Maybe JimB can tell us how long that stuff lasts at ground level...
Troposphere = surface (0) to 5-10 km (depending on temperature and pressure)
Old 15-05-2019, 14:21   #315

Boat: Valiant 42

The only purpose for labeling people is so the labeler can feel superior to those they label. Other that that creating labels has no usage and can be safely ignored by those of us who have no need to feel superior to anyone else.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, research