Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 09:34   #61

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Will have little or no effect on Kieth Richards!
As our dying sun slowly expands and boils off all life on earth, there will be just two creatures sround to watch it:

Keith Richards eating the last cockroach.
Old 20-12-2015, 09:35   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Another excellent post. I am all for nuclear in general. What is your opinion on pebble bed reactors?
Me too. If you go back in history you will see that Nuclear used to be promoted by the left socially progressives. I'm beginning to see that some in these circles are returning to nuclear as a solution.

For me, the new mini reactors hold the greatest excitement for solving our energy needs. We still however need to find better solutions on waste disposal. Waste coming from nuclear is probably the lowest for any energy creation source. But it is still highly toxic. We do have two super hot sources that could effectively obliterate nuclear waste. One is the Sun the other is our molten lava bellow us. Shooting rockets full of nuclear waste into the sun would work but the energy needed for this doesn't make sense. Dropping nuclear waste directly into the earths lava could be a viable solution.

There are other nuclear waste solutions that could also be viable. We should definitely be closing down the older reactors and be building the new safe mini reactors.
Old 20-12-2015, 09:36   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I think Buckley would be embarrassed by the current version of the National Review. While I often disagreed with his views, I respected his intellect.
I don't think he was intelligent at all...but rather a privileged individual educated far being his capabilities with the gift of gab. The old saying...If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bull $#it.
I knew a former crewmen on his yacht. When they came into port, it was a mad rush to get away from him. He told me he though his ear were going to start bleeding if they had to listen to him any longer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-12-2015, 09:36   #64

Ah yes. The great climate distraction continues. Meanwhile drug resistant microorganisms continue to grow. Oh course humans aren't responsible, it's only natural.

The post antibiotic age is why at least a bunch of you won't have to worry about climate change in twenty years. Dying from what used to be easily treatable infections will take care of your CO2 emissions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-antibiotic_era
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	115368  
Old 20-12-2015, 09:58   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Dropping nuclear waste directly into the earths lava could be a viable solution.
Cos big clouds of radioactive volcanic gases and ash blowing around wouldn't really be a problem. Nope.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Cos big clouds of radioactive volcanic gases and ash blowing around wouldn't really be a problem. Nope.
No problem at all. Apart from creating lower energy it would deal with the much larger C02 problem, humans. Nothing like some global radioactive clouds to lower the earths population. Less people equals less pollution. Problem solved.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:32   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Could you expand on what you think is valuable in that article?
A good friend sent me the article this morning and I thought it interesting. So I reposted it on CF, not looking to argue with folks like you...just looking to inspire a discussion on a winter day.

It also made me wonder about what I'd be doing in twenty years? Probably sailing, photography, scuba, cycling and exploring.... I hope. How about the folks worrying about political stuff and the world coming to an end? Probably still sick with worry.

I also found this cartoon today...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	115372  
Old 20-12-2015, 10:47   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
A good friend sent me the article this morning and I thought it interesting. So I reposted it on CF, not looking to argue with folks like you...just looking to inspire a discussion on a winter day.
Heck Ken, if you wanted to inspire discussion about why climate change won't matter in twenty years then you should have started out with the subject of gun proliferation!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	181
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	115373  
Old 20-12-2015, 10:47   #69
cruiser

Quote:
As our dying sun slowly expands and boils off all life on earth, there will be just two creatures sround to watch it:

Keith Richards eating the last cockroach.
I just hope he captures the event with a GoPro.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:48   #70

Quote:

I also found this cartoon today...
Gore's Law is invoked.

As an online climate change debate grows longer, the probability that denier arguments will descend into attacks on Al Gore approaches one.

Here's a hint. Al Gore could be short, evil and fond of child sacrifice. He could emit more CO2 snoring at night than Christopher Monckton does all year. And his movie could be even more inaccurate than the Great Global Warming Swindle. But this wouldn't change a thing. What matters is not Al Gore's character but science. And, in the case of climate change, it's awfully compelling.
Old 20-12-2015, 10:51   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Heck Ken, if you wanted to inspire discussion about why climate change won't matter in twenty years then you should have started out with the subject of gun proliferation!
I purchased a new Vepr AK 308 last week... They were going fast! Tried it out yesterday.... Very high up on the awesomeness scale.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:04   #72

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Here's an interesting article
I gave up - long after the point about predicting the future not being easy was made, it just kept going and going. It also assumes fuel is the biggest, if not only, issue.

Yawn.

Since our whole system is based on growth (buy more! buy newer! buy bigger!) and we're stuck on a rock that doesn't grow, nothing will really change.
It's cute they're trying to make it look like mother nature gives a fig about our climate deals tho, I appreciate the effort
Old 20-12-2015, 11:09   #73

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Funny, the rest of the advanced world except for the Republican Party believes in climate change. I guess everybody else is wrong

Here we go again with another useless argument.

Ayn Rand
Old 20-12-2015, 11:13   #74

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I crossed the Atlantic last summer. Hardly a day went by that I didn't see some trash in the water. Styrofoam is especially brilliant white when it has been floating at sea for a while.
Probably because it's slowly evaporating in the sunlight.
After all, it started as hydrocarbons.

Ayn Rand
Old 20-12-2015, 11:14   #75

Quote:

It also made me wonder about what I'd be doing in twenty years? Probably sailing, photography, scuba, cycling and exploring.... I hope. How about the folks worrying about political stuff and the world coming to an end? Probably still sick with worry.
If you weren't looking to argue... it was a funny decision to post that... and to move onto guns too.

The idea is to ... do something. If you're satisfied that things are peachy and you just want to get on with enjoying your life... by all means, please enjoy.

I don't understand why it's necessary to also sh!t on those do want to do something. That old 80% 20% thing applies. Someone has to fix this stuff. Even the NR doesn't believe in magic.

As they say... lead, follow, or get outta the way
Closed Thread