Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 19:18   #991

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Direct, referenced quotes, my friend. They are called evidence.
Yep, direct quotes, which made statements L-E said were not made, which was the point, which you seemed to have missed.
Old 02-01-2016, 19:19   #992
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Jack personally I have no horses in any race but if people make statements I know are false I will point it out nothing against anyone on this or any other forum. LE just stated something that was an untruth . At least I didn't list all of t posts that said t train was powered by solar and wind or any other renewable power source. We all know that is not strictly possible as long as it is connected to the main power grid.
Old 02-01-2016, 19:22   #993

wikipedia:

Quote:
Facts

In 2001, the CTrain became the first public transit system in Canada to claim all of its electricity from emissions-free wind power generation. The electricity is generated by Enmax operating in the southern Alberta.[13][14] The trains are powered from the same power grid as before; however, an equivalent amount of electricity is produced at the southern wind farms and "dedicated" to the CTrain. Under Alberta's deregulated market for electricity, large consumers can contract to purchase their electricity from a specific vendor.
Well, da-yum... you're wrong!

Making a 4-page mess over such a small, stupid point, AND getting it wrong... do you begin to see why some of us regard such anti-AGW/anti-green arguments as less than credible?
Old 02-01-2016, 19:25   #994

Kenomac's OP suggest Climate Change won't matter in future years because of advances in technology.

This article suggests AI and humans working together will have super intelligence, and will be able to solve currently intractable problems.

‘Superintellingence’ of AI and humans working together could solve climate change | Daily Mail Online

Do those who think dramatic action is necessary to "solve the CC problem" agree that AI should be employed to come up with solutions?
Old 02-01-2016, 19:27   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Kenomac's OP suggest Climate Change won't matter in future years because of advances in technology.

This article suggests AI and humans working together will have super intelligence, and will be able to solve currently intractable problems.

‘Superintellingence’ of AI and humans working together could solve climate change | Daily Mail Online

Do those who think dramatic action is necessary to "solve the CC problem" agree that AI should be employed to come up with solutions?

Don't change the subject.
Old 02-01-2016, 19:32   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Don't change the subject.
Errr...it is the subject...

Just noted that your previous post had to do with a comment re solar powered light rail vs wind powered light rail...excuse´moi.
Old 02-01-2016, 19:39   #997

Quote:
Just noted that your previous post had to do with a comment re solar powered light rail vs wind powered light rail...excuse´moi.
Um what?

Or are you possibly now acknowledging that maybe you guys harangued JD for pages, for what turns out to be a misunderstanding on your parts?
Old 02-01-2016, 19:48   #998

Quote:

Wishful thinking and band-aid solutions from a British tabloid.

The problem is the excessive CO2 - the solution stop using the atmosphere as a waste dump.

I should point out that in my previous career I was a tech guy, which leads me to understand its limitations. For those who wish to take a look at the technological imperative I would suggest:

The Technological Society: Jacques Ellul: 9780394703909: Books - Amazon.ca
Old 02-01-2016, 20:18   #999

Quote:
Um what?

Or are you possibly now acknowledging that maybe you guys harangued JD for pages, for what turns out to be a misunderstanding on your parts?
No...
Old 02-01-2016, 20:19   #1000

Thanks for the link.
Old 02-01-2016, 20:22   #1001
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Um what?

Actually a marketing misrepresentation by the Calgary city government or the chamber of commerce or whom ever wrote the article jack originally referenced. But now like we all should do back to the topic of this thread. Why cc wont matter in 20 years.
Old 02-01-2016, 20:25   #1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually a marketing misrepresentation by the Calgary city government or the chamber of commerce or whom ever wrote the article jack originally referenced.
Actually Stu quoted the article (actually he quote mined it) , but did not reference it.
Old 02-01-2016, 20:36   #1003

Quote:
Actually Stu quoted the article (actually he quote mined it) , but did not reference it.
Yes, he did...but you chided him for not including the portions that included the propaganda about the LR system being powered by wind turbines, which is what the extended discussion has been about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale

Why did you not bother to post the rest of the web page? Nor post a link.

Quote:
Then in 2012, Calgary went all-in on renewable energy, purchasing 100 per cent renewable power for all of the city’s operations. This investment meant two wind farms got built, totaling 144 megawatts of installed wind capacity.

While the CTrain is still 100 per cent powered by wind, the city’s other operations use a mix of renewable energies: wind, hydro, biomass and solar power. The power purchase agreement totals 450,000 megawatt-hours a year or the equivalent power demand of over 65,000 Calgary homes.

This is one of the killer apps of electrified rail transport: the ability to choose cleaner, greener options. By purchasing wind power, Calgary Transit reports they are saving 56,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.
115. Calgary’s wind-powered LRT an incredibly successful system: Nenshi | Green Energy Futures
Be a man...own it. It's on record.
Old 02-01-2016, 21:00   #1004

Quote:
Yes, he did...but you chided him for not including the portions that included the propaganda about the LR system being powered by wind turbines, which is what the extended discussion has been about...

Be a man...own it. It's on record.
The author of article that Stu quote mined owns it; I referenced it. The lack of manhood belongs with with the quote miner.

"Propaganda" - really? I do not share your cynicism. And I am far more skeptical; I verify sources.
Old 03-01-2016, 00:16   #1005

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
The author of article that Stu quote mined owns it; I referenced it. The lack of manhood belongs with with the quote miner.

"Propaganda" - really? I do not share your cynicism. And I am far more skeptical; I verify sources.
You continue to try and mislead for some reason, but it has apparently worked on L-E at least. You also neglected to mention in your comments (quoted in fryewe's post above) that the vast majority of the energy produced & consumed by the city of Calgary derives from fossil fuels. Instead, you made it sound as if they were using 100% renewables. This just hurts your own credibility and thus the argument you are trying to advance.

Here is L-E's Wiki quote from a few posts ago:

In 2001, the CTrain became the first public transit system in Canada to claim all of its electricity from emissions-free wind power generation. The electricity is generated by Enmax operating in the southern Alberta.[13][14] The trains are powered from the same power grid as before; however, an equivalent amount of electricity is produced at the southern wind farms and "dedicated" to the CTrain. Under Alberta's deregulated market for electricity, large consumers can contract to purchase their electricity from a specific vendor.

The city of Calgary can "claim" anything they want, or even "contract to purchase their electricity from a specific vendor," but the facts above state that the CTrain gets its electricity from the same power grid, and uses an amount of electricity that is "equivalent" to that which is produced by the wind turbines. As has been repeatedly pointed out, it is not possible for the electricity feeding the grid from the turbines to directly power the trains, or the city services, or the 35,000 homes as you have also claimed.

The fact that there is a significant but comparatively small percentage of renewables offsetting carbon emissions in Alberta is well understood, but you can express this without deceptively inflating their actual contribution.
Closed Thread