Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 11:24   #76

Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Here we go again with another useless argument.
So glad you could join us. We just need Third Day, and we'll have quorum.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:28   #77

Huh, go figure. Overall funding for denial follows a familiar tend.

"Dark Money" Funds Climate Change Denial Effort - Scientific American
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	195
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	115375  
Old 20-12-2015, 11:37   #78

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
WATERWORLD!!!
I love those clips ! Oh and the Kevin Costner movie too...

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...global+warming

Ayn Rand
Old 20-12-2015, 11:38   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
and to move onto guns too
In all fairness to Ken I brought up the subject of guns.

Mainly because I was thinking about how, as essential natural resources become more scarce over the next twenty years, the likelihood of armed conflict across the globe will naturally increase and our chances of surviving the next twenty years will of course naturally decrease.

Because you know, humans aren't capable of changing our environment. Only nature can do that, naturally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	115378  
Old 20-12-2015, 11:42   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Probably because it's slowly evaporating in the sunlight.
After all, it started as hydrocarbons.
Snowblind white. Never saw anything so white!
Old 20-12-2015, 11:44   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the lil man has yet to be taxed for it, is exactly why.
the govt merely needs to find an excuse to tax our usages of air and sun and moon and co2 use and such..is taxation on breathing. want that?? you are actually requesting that be done.
i hope i am dead before your govt intervention begins.
Fun facts - US corporate taxes as a percentage of GDP have dropped by half since 1946. Top US dividends tax, capital gains tax, top rate on personal income... all near historic lows since 2003.

How has the US economy been in the last 15 years?

So, whenever someone says lower taxes spur investment, I laugh in their face. Where's the friggin investment?

Someone needs to pay some more taxes; I don't think it's you zeehag, or most of the rest of us who have seen their situation languish or worsen while a very small slice of the top enrich themselves.

When the pigs threaten to eat up all the corn, the farmer needs to put up a fence or two.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:51   #82

Boat: Gemini 3200

I look forward to motoring through what used to be the streets of Miami and diving the remains of Key West....as long as our robot overloads allow us.
Old 20-12-2015, 11:57   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassabossa View Post
I look forward to motoring through what used to be the streets of Miami and diving the remains of Key West....as long as our robot overloads allow us.
As a biological myself I have an obvious bias towards Post Humanism. That said, when I am honest with myself, I just don't see where biologicals have a chance against the machines.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	115382  
Old 20-12-2015, 12:01   #84
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

woooohooo--my personal bucket list has only one item-- to be able to sail with my deep keel OVER THE TOP of the fort lauderdale condos from sky rise hell. whooot.
unfortunately that will prolly be met in a different lifetime, as the predicted 6 to 8 inches aint gonna cut it. damn i was hoping for more.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:02   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Funny, the rest of the advanced world except for the Republican Party believes in climate change. I guess everybody else is wrong
The story here is more about people tripping over this issue, and any issue, for political gain than about the actual issue.

Never let a crisis go to waste, right?

There is compromise for the public good, and then there is the use of an issue to call your opponent "stupid". From what I can tell, both parties play it for all it's worth.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:05   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Huh, go figure. Overall funding for denial follows a familiar tend.

"Dark Money" Funds Climate Change Denial Effort - Scientific American
Where do I apply for funding.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:08   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
The story here is more about people tripping over this issue, and any issue, for political gain than about the actual issue.

Never let a crisis go to waste, right?

There is compromise for the public good, and then there is the use of an issue to call your opponent "stupid". From what I can tell, both parties play it for all it's worth.
This is CF, not the UN. Well-off, older, white westerners with boats, mostly. You were expecting maybe openmindedness, compromise, and moving forward in mutual respect and goodwill?

...but it is coming up to Christmas for many of us. Not a bad thing to wish for.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:11   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why is it folks need to play a party politix card with such topics as the changing climate. like one party is gonnabe able to do anything the other cannot. divisive politix does not a strong nation maintain.
tellm e this--when the axis of earth decides to change, and boston becomes new north pole, who is gonna be in the lineup of folks trying to change the axis shift??? and who is gonnabe preaching this bs to sheeple -- what party willbe able to actually change the axis??
this didnt start as a political party bashing adventure.... there is already enough of that bs.

well off??!! speak for self, amigo--i am a disabled brokeass woman who bought a rather awesomely decent formosa for waaay tooo little dough
Old 20-12-2015, 12:11   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

So, I haven't bothered to read through all the posts. We all know where this discussion has gone, and where it's going. No one will be convinced of anything b/c we all come to this discussion knowing what we know.

A few thoughts:

#1. Climate change, per se, is not the issue. It is the effect of a rapidly changing climate on ecosystems that support critters like humans. The planet doesn't care two hoots. Climate has always change and always will. What should be of concern to everyone (even if you don't think humans are the driver of climate change) is the impact climate change is already having on our global civilization.

Civilizations have come and gone, and the research shows that in most (perhaps all) cases, a changing climate was implicated in the declines. It would be the highest arrogance to think we're now so advanced that our civilization is now immune to these forces.

So the real issue is not directly climate change. It's the social implications of a rapidly changing global ecosystem that is the real issue for humans. Wars, famine, drought and the related mass migration of refugees are the direct problems.

#2. There are many other issues that are of more immediate threat, especially to us in the well-insulated rich nations of the world. In many ways we can buy our way out of the direct climate change problems. But there are other issues, not all of which we can't buy our way out of: resource use and depletion, drought, population, food production, pollution, etc. The Earth doesn't subdivide the issues. They are all intermingled and co-related.

#3. Controlled nuclear fusion is needed, and will likely be achieved eventually. It will be a huge boon to our civilization, although will no doubt come with unforeseen consequences as well. But harnessing fusion will likely be as important to human civilization as the fossil fuel age has been.

Sadly, fusion has been one of those technologies that is "right around the corner" since at least the mid-1970s. Why this is the case is certainly beyond me. Given this track record though, I would not bet the farm on fusion to be our civilization's white knight.
Old 20-12-2015, 12:23   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
why is it folks need to play a party politix card with such topics as the changing climate. like one party is gonnabe able to do anything the other cannot. divisive politix does not a strong nation maintain.
tellm e this--when the axis of earth decides to change, and boston becomes new north pole, who is gonna be in the lineup of folks trying to change the axis shift??? and who is gonnabe preaching this bs to sheeple -- what party willbe able to actually change the axis??
this didnt start as a political party bashing adventure.... there is already enough of that bs.

well off??!! speak for self, amigo--i am a disabled brokeass woman who bought a rather awesomely decent formosa for waaay tooo little dough
hey, you went off on that "taxing the little guy" tangent. That's pretty divisively political...

I did qualify my 'well-off' observation with "mostly" btw... but if you own a nice Formosa, that's a notch or two above broke-ass...
Closed Thread