Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 06:02   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Well, by golly, the Americans should just pay to clean up every mess the rest of the world flushes down their rivers.
Old 20-12-2015, 06:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
you could get similar graphs by plotting the number of tire revolutions in a month.

Or the number of diapers produced. Or nails driven. Or Reebocks worn out. Or in fact anything.

And of course those graphs are produced by totally objective people......
whose livelihoods just happen to depend on people buying their snake oil.
Well, I don't think you will see graphs like that for things like new species evolving or for natural resources being replenished. Do you?

Please explain to me how someone's livelihood could depend on extinction rates going up? I would think the contrary for anyone living on the planet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	115353  
Old 20-12-2015, 06:07   #18

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Climate change won't matter in twenty years because we will be too busy worrying about more immediate concerns, like how screwed up the environment got while we were too busy worrying about climate change and ignored the myriad of other ways we were destroying our planet.

Want some swordfish tartar to go with your northern white rhino steak? Good luck with that!
Your view mirrors my own. I am somewhat agnostic about the "dangers" of climate change and the extent to which it is anthropogenic. But I am absolutely damn sure we are causing direct mechanical damage to our planet in so many other ways it makes me dizzy just thinking about it. I worry that the focus on CC causes these other, far more immediately pressing and obvious problems to be ignored. How much of Borneo will be left in 10 years, much less 100, for just one tiny example?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 20-12-2015, 06:09   #19

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Funny, the rest of the advanced world except for the Republican Party believes in climate change. I guess everybody else is wrong
Real science isn't a democracy. The most revolutionary scientists are always outliers in their own time. Fortunately we no longer physically burn them at the stake but their current punishment is severe nonetheless.
Old 20-12-2015, 06:10   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Ken,

Thanks for finding the article. I am directly involved in this research. If the world does not lose its resolve then fusion power will be a reality before this century is over. The US should increase its commitment to this project. One would think that the present government would be a strong advocate but sadly the other countries involved such as India and Korea are much more committed than the US. I read about India being maligned in the media because they rely on coal for their increasing energy needs. But they are one of the strongest players in fusion research. They know that the sooner fusion becomes a reality the sooner they can dump coal.

For example: L&T dispatches first consignment of ITER cryostat - The Economic Times

Wind and solar are for dreamers. Unlimited energy that does not pollute, does not clutter the landscape with huge windmills that need constant maintenance and does not require millions of flying creatures to die every year. The math is clearly in favor of fusion.

How do we know fusion works? Answer: The sun comes up every morning.
Another excellent post. I am all for nuclear in general. What is your opinion on pebble bed reactors?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 20-12-2015, 06:16   #21

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Another excellent post. I am all for nuclear in general. What is your opinion on pebble bed reactors?
I have devoted about 20 years to the fusion side because I believe that is the truly unlimited energy resource. Uranium based fission systems are ok but they don't have the long term potential of fusion. We have plenty of petroleum based energy reserves to last another couple hundred years and efficiency improvements may be able to extend that to 400 years. We should use that cheap energy and invest in the end game which is fusion. The solar system is after all fusion powered. I find it kind of pointless to argue with mother nature?
Old 20-12-2015, 06:35   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I have devoted about 20 years to the fusion side because I believe that is the truly unlimited energy resource. Uranium based fission systems are ok but they don't have the long term potential of fusion. We have plenty of petroleum based energy reserves to last another couple hundred years and efficiency improvements may be able to extend that to 400 years. We should use that cheap energy and invest in the end game which is fusion. The solar system is after all fusion powered. I find it kind of pointless to argue with mother nature?
Both pointless, and impossible. It would be interesting to consider whether, having begun, like the stars, with Helium to Hydrogen, we may one day, like the Novas, fuse the heavier metals and other elements, perhaps creating altogether new ones? Meantime it would be nice simply to be able to use the vast hydrogen resources on the planet, and to allay the fears of helium depletion
Old 20-12-2015, 06:37   #23

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

In the greater scheme of things climate change really doesn't matter, as pollution, over-population, et-al are not destroying the planet, but merely changing it; the planet doesn't have a problem, just it's population.

These changes brought about by the human animals will eventually - probably sooner rather than later - render the earth uninhabitable for themselves, or at least in the large/urbanised populations which we have currently and more sadly, for the many other species too; perhaps fortunately few if any of these other species have the cognitive powers to realise/worry about what's heading their way.

However, the planet itself is not going to be destroyed, it will continue to spin and remain sustaining for some forms of life; there may even be a small population of the more resilient and self-reliant humans remaining, who will no doubt begin the whole cycle once again? But the planet remains safe.
Old 20-12-2015, 06:54   #24

I prefer the notion of Transhumanism over Artificial Intellegence dominating the post-human world but maybe I am just sentimental.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.png
Views:	292
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	115356  
Old 20-12-2015, 07:04   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and what is it that the govts are trying to change?? change?? or the thickness of their individual wallets.
planet changes all the time. its/our only constant is change.
humans are not the root cause of change.
get over it, arrogant bastids. hell, there is even a beer named for ye. only thing gained by govt alleged intervention with planetary change is money in pockets of fat cats causing the troubles in the first place.
sheeple. ptuey.

yeah ignorants throw trash. trash. isnt cause of climate change--is proof that folks are bar none, the rudest most arrogant animals on this planet. that is all.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:14   #26

Zee, luv ya. Reely due! Butt if ewe thnkn humenz arent responsilly for the deklin in world shark populations then their reely iz no hope.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...eatened_sharks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	329
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	115357  
Old 20-12-2015, 07:15   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Because we want be around by then?
I still plan on being around in twenty years.... giddy up!

Just cruising around on a 32 year old boat.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:19   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Funny, the rest of the advanced world except for the Republican Party believes in climate change. I guess everybody else is wrong
99% of all climate scientists believe that climate change is occurring.
100% of sheep do not.
Old 20-12-2015, 07:23   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
100% of sheep do not.
What if 99% of your climate scientists are revealed to be the sheep?

Meanwhile... I'm going to enjoy the unusually warm weather we're experiencing here in New England this winter which definitely helps to forget the record cold and high snowfalls of last winter. The forecast is for 65 degrees on Christmas!
Old 20-12-2015, 07:26   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
100% of sheep do not.
Nobody really disputes that it is occurring. The disputes are centred on whether and to what degree it is mediated by human activity. I belive it is, to some degree. I also believe that it is, as Delancey has been trying to point out, very far from the most pressing environmental issue we currently face.
Closed Thread