Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 02:52   #61

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Re: Why Are they Shooting Sharks in Australia ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Runner View Post
Culling of sharks is an asinine solution to this. You enter the water you are in their territory and assume that risk. I am an active diver and spearfisherman and have had my share of shark encounters but that is the risk. I saw a great video that other day and had a chance to meet with Guy Harvey and speak about sharks and it has been shown that an attack on humans is always accidental as they have no interest in eating us any more than a bear in Yellowstone does; but it does happen. Now I study Marine Sciences in Grad School and can attest that sharks do not have small brains and in fact their brains to body mass ratio is higher than most other fish and is comparable to many other vertebrates, including some mammals and they show signs of high intelligence; their eyesight however is limited comparatively. It's always sad when this happens and I feel for the loved ones but that is nature and we are a part of that; though we seem to forget that sometimes.
The original post has gone missing, so maybe you missed it. The OP was asking why they are shooting the one that attacked and killed the guy in Australia - no one was talking about culling sharks.

For me (and thankfully many others) the answer to the orginal question was pretty obvious - it was to stop the shark repeating the attack.

IMHO that IS being part with nature.........'forgiving' it for a 'mistake' and allowing it to maybe repeat the attack is simply bonkers.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 27-10-2011, 09:28   #62

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Runner View Post
I saw a great video that other day and had a chance to meet with Guy Harvey and speak about sharks and it has been shown that an attack on humans is always accidental as they have no interest in eating us any more than a bear in Yellowstone does;
NOPE sorry, to the shark we taste just like a seal. And the bear will eat you too if it thinks it can get by with it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 10:09   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Start feeding sharks with humans in their presence and sharks start associating humans with food.

You can't really blame the sharks if they start eating more humans.

Maybe it is better to stop feeding the sharks?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 13:44   #64

These kind of things really burn my ass! I have just a few words as it just disgust me that any human thinks for one moment they have a right to walk into someone or something's natural habitat/environment and take it over. YES that is what actions like killing sharks for revenge is. They are creatures of their domain and man has a right to go in and wreak havoc. Idiots. I would bit their asses too.
WarmBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 14:17   #65
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in 1967, someone was shooting sharks in sheepshead bay long island, ny near belt parkway. a bullet ricocheted off the surface of the water and killed a gal who was driving a chevy camaro with a rear window open. her name was nancy. she was not yet 19 yrs of age and had recently graduated high school from garden city, li, ny. was a very sad day.
hopefully there will be none of that kind of accidental death with others shooting sharks somewhere else in world.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 14:22   #66

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Goddezz View Post
These kind of things really burn my ass! I have just a few words as it just disgust me that any human thinks for one moment they have a right to walk into someone or something's natural habitat/environment and take it over. YES that is what actions like killing sharks for revenge is. They are creatures of their domain and man has a right to go in and wreak havoc. Idiots. I would bit their asses too.
It actually burns my ass a little more that someone seems more concerned about the life of a sharp toothed fish rather than protecting other people from a repeated attack. Just chill my friend.

And while you're chillin can you explain what the donkeys have done to deserve a biting also....

JOHN
Old 07-11-2011, 15:05   #67

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
It actually burns my ass a little more that someone seems more concerned about the life of a sharp toothed fish rather than protecting other people from a repeated attack. Just chill my friend.

And while you're chillin can you explain what the donkeys have done to deserve a biting also....

JOHN
ROFL.... now at least that part makes sense

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 16:47   #68

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:

I'm kinda in the middle on this one. On the one hand, we are the dominant species, and I fully support my right to eat anything lower than me on the food chain, On the other hand we go in with purse seiners and clear out all other kinds of fish, then drop in lots of fat tasty tourists, who promptly try to "feed" the sharks, an activity that is invarably successful,....
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 17:28   #69

I get quickly frustrated with these kinds of things because people are so quick to blame the species. I understand wanting to protect people, I am all for it. Repeated attacks are a cause for alarm, but also are a cause for understanding. Why is this happening? What is going on in this animals environment to cause it to do this?
My frustration lies with those who jump into an adverse reaction before understand what they are reacting against.

As for the donkey...The shark ate it.

I am also very chill..my friend.
Old 07-11-2011, 19:27   #70

Sharks can travel large distances so they cannot be sure they have the right shark until necropsy. I don't have issue getting rid of an animal that has become used to eating human but they probably won't find it. I also think it's my responsibility to not be where sharks are a real problem or take my chances. I think they are doing it for PR so tourists don't cancel trips. That isn't a good reason.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 20:40   #71

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Goddezz
Where I'm from in South Africa, Cape Town, these sharks are out of hand and largely because they are being manipulated for tourism purposes. They are serious killing machines and I personally know people who have been attacked, and have personally been on a board in the water when circled by them. I can tell you right now that when you have been in that situation, your opinion will change. I feel absolutely nothing for these menaces and would rather see them hunted down and destroyed. Their numbers are growing !
I had this debate with an environmentalist here about two years ago and told her we were going to see quite a few deaths by sharks over the next few years. She laughed at me, and now that's exactly what we have .... A growing and several number of attacks. She ..... Doesn't want to discuss it!
There is no mistaken identity when attacking ..... Simply put ..... They associate humans with food due to shark cage diving an will attack and kill humans.
Had we not had shark spotters sitting on our coast lines, there would have been many more attacks.
Personally - I'd kill every one given the chance ...... That way I know my kids would be safe surfing the waters down here!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52   #72

Boat: Custom Cutter 38

Quote:
Too bad you weren't around when the Dodo bird went extinct...

Kidding aside, when the people who HAVE a shark problem (Australians, South Africans) kill sharks is because they have exhausted all other/non violent measures and were left with no other choice. Washington, DC armchair militants cannot possibly comprehend the extent of the problem, nor would they try. Intelligent armchair militants, however, would have tried to at least argue their case without using insulting words and foul language.

Next time you see a cockroach moving across your kitchen floor don't step on it.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:16   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Sharks can travel large distances so they cannot be sure they have the right shark until necropsy. I don't have issue getting rid of an animal that has become used to eating human but they probably won't find it. I also think it's my responsibility to not be where sharks are a real problem or take my chances. I think they are doing it for PR so tourists don't cancel trips. That isn't a good reason.
Maybe if you understood the location it might help.

The attack happened of the beaches of Perth. It is shallow water right out to the protecting reefs. The white pointer which is commonly seen in groups off our s'ly coast old whaling stations, are not normally visitors to the beaches off Perth. I've never ever heard of them arriving en-mass. The waters are crystal clear with lots of sand bottom between the reefs so the chance of mistaken identity after an attacjk is unlikely to be an issue provided they get the shark at the time.

When one arrives the good viz means it is usually spotted pretty quick. Bathers and surfers are usually warned. And the shark usually monitored until it finds it's way out and back to its deep water habitat.

Sadly sometimes the shark is not seen. Or the bathers did not get warned. And the shark attacks and does huge damage. Or as in this case, kills.

It is usually then that someone blows it away. It is not culling. It is no lack of 'respect' for the shark. It's not man trying to trash the environment or anything else like that. If you lived in Aus you'd know the govt is far too eco biased to ever allow that. The reasons they are killed is because of the genetic 'memory' these killing machines clearly have.

It's that same 'memory' that draws so many back to the whaling stations (which all closed half a century ago) that could also lead them to making a return visit to the beach..........

So hope you can see why removing the shark whilst it is still in the area is not only sensible, it helps prevent mistaken identity and minimises over-reaction.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04   #74

Quote:
Too bad you weren't around when the Dodo bird went extinct...

Kidding aside, when the people who HAVE a shark problem (Australians, South Africans) kill sharks is because they have exhausted all other/non violent measures and were left with no other choice. Washington, DC armchair militants cannot possibly comprehend the extent of the problem, nor would they try. Intelligent armchair militants, however, would have tried to at least argue their case without using insulting words and foul language.

Next time you see a cockroach moving across your kitchen floor don't step on it.
Whatever. I was just voicing my feelings. You should have also read my other reply before replying to this one. I happen to have extremely strong feelings about invading the natural habitat of a species and then, as the "superior" species blaming the nature of such habitats.

If I knew there were shark attacks in a certain area, I would NOT continue to invade that area. To me it is the same as someone barging into my home and trying to change the existence that is mine. It's not right.

People do not 'belong' IN the water in a way that threatens the equal balance that should be left alone. But we do. So therefore people who do so should understand that they are putting themselves at risk as well as creating stress for those who did not ask for the invasion. (This would be the sharks etc).

I am just tired of man (no one in particular, but on the whole) deciding that it is our right to go into places, just because we can, then react with superiority and violence because we upset the ones who live there.

In areas where it is known that these species reign supreme then it should be acted upon even more so to take extra precautions in those areas.

As for my post here..It was reactionary...just like the shooting of the sharks. You did not agree with it, just as I do not agree with the power of the gun. It is called differences of opinions and wording. Nowhere did I use such foul language that was extreme. And yes, I do think that anyone that would resort to using fire arms to rectify a problem of such magnitude is an idiot.

Take care!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06   #75

P.S. There are other way to resolve/remove a problematic symptom without killing.

Tags
Australia, australia