Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 22:18   #16

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
Pick a job doing something you enjoy and you'll never work a day in your life
Nah, it's a bit like eating. I love chocolate but if I ate it for every meal I would soon get sick of it. You need seasons (good and bad). To appreciate the good things that come by you need some bad things to show how good the good is
Old 10-02-2008, 03:28   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

6 months on and 6 months off (albeit never exactly) worked for me for many years (though sans boat).......for 6 months I was quite happy to work the hours. and sometimes even to work hard

For me it made an amazing difference mentally (not that you would notice?) by removing the thought that I was stuck doing the same old same old until I "retired", which for me was simply soul destroying. Plus really great that I alway start work with an exit date and have to make a decision to stay more at the place of work, rather than make a decision to leave.

Of course the old bank manager has a few regrets - and I am presently planning (or at least thinking about) putting in a few years of (solid) hard graft on the £££ money front.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:57   #18

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
If I only worked 9-5 that might be a different story, unfortunatly I work more like 0500 to 1830 or later and often at least 6-7 hours over the weekend. I run a business that operates 24/7, it is very demanding industry, the money is good, the hours are not. However, are plans are to stop this spring, we should have enough money put aside for two years or so.....Im done with the rat race, at least for now.

And by the way Seafox you are correct. I was a competive weightlifter all of my life. Back in the early 80s I opened up a gym and spa, that only lasted 4 years, I got sick of it. I would take people through personalized workouts everyday, I got sick of listening to them tell me they want to just get toned, they didnt want to look like Arnold!! Like they had that to worry about...The one good thing about crusing is that it is a lifestyle, not a job....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:10   #19

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Best of Both Worlds

Thankfully we have been able to manage to do both...cruise and work.
At 33 and 34 it is unrealistic to think of "checking out" but we do get to set our own hours and still liveaboard full-time.
We put together a 10-year plan and worked insane hours for 7 years. Three years ahread of schedule we bought HP, sold everything, and moved onboard.
We run South By West Press, an independent publishing company, from the boat. In the summer we cruise north to the Chesapeake and in the winter south to Fla and the Bahamas. Learning to work with Awl-Grip was one of the best things I did. Glass-work and refrigeration has also been profitable work. Also, being 5'5" and 145lbs helped in competitive rock climbing pre-cruising, so working aloft comes all too naturally.
I have the best office view in the world...dolphin and manatee swimming around right now...it may cut back productivity a little but I have all the time in the world and I set my deadlines, so I can extend them.
We realize just how lucky we are and are conscious to be thankful every day.
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 16:15   #20

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Truly the best of both worlds; very nice website too!