Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 13:08   #76

Re: Where can I find Love on the Waves ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
nothing to be forgiven lucy

as they say all is fair in love and cruisers forum

worrying trend these days! I was only in Algeria a few weeks ago on a delivery,and have become rather attached to my head over the years

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-133541.html

sorry to hear about your mum,not good,had a woman friend who was abducted in morrcco,not a pleasant experience for her

Very interesting article actually ... I had not put much consideration into the dangers of foreign waters. living in quite unstable times ... People don't like us english much anymore . Bloody politics !! Good information.

Yeah being kidnapped was not the most pleasant experience for my mum ... Luckily a lady in a brothel helped her and she was lucky. But has made me more alert when traveling alone . Unfortunately young woman are usually targets .
(I'm still calling myself young)

And I'm happy I'm not banned from cruiser forum on day 1! Phew

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lucyloo730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 13:08   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Sure.

Free beer solves everything

Everything !!!

Old 28-09-2014, 13:09   #78

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Hi, & Welcome.
A couple of thoughts. You can always try your luck via taking crew positions on various yachts. Particularly when there's a big crossing coming up, like a rally or race. If you do that, obviously it's not a full on dating situation, but there's a good pool of gents & yachts... many of whom are in a position somewhat akin to yours, albeit they own boats.
And rally's occur/re-occur with frequency like clockwork, due to seasonal winds & weather. Ditto on races, albeit races are a LOT more frequently... several times a week in big cities. From serious ones, to kicked back Wednesday Night Beer Can Series'. And they're a GREAT way to meet folks, & perspective mates - given the HUGE pool of athletic singles who take part in the races + the parties immediately after them. As well as in relation to same.

A couple of obvious Rally's are the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC), & the Ba Ha, Ha Ha (sp?). Both of which have websites, & specific subforums for folks looking for crew, or looking for rides. And those who post on such sites are specific about what they're looking for, including romance (in some/semi-good numbered instances).
Here's a place to start looking, Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude I'm not sure if it's started yet, but right about now, there's a big flux of cruisers heading down to Mexico & points south, from Southern California, as part of the Ba Ha, Ha, Ha.
But even if it's begun, boats move slowly, & the scheduled stops & major fiestas associated with the Rally etc., are posted. So it's easy to catch up.

And given that you're in Wales, it'd also be a good time to create a Resume/CV & sailing dream sheet (I'm being serious & literal here). To start posting it in places in the UK/Europe, as the ARC & a HUGE migration of yachts leaves Europe right around the Holidays, heading off to more or less "follow Columbus's route". AKA head east for the Carribean

Also there are crew placement agencies, which may or not be worth your time. Depending on whether your priority is finding a mate, or heading out on the seven seas.

While I know those answers aren't specifically what you inquired about, however, sailing, anywhere, is a small town. And folks look after one another... in the standard manner of small towns, but also in the sense of finding dates for friends/sailing mates. Such has happened to me & some of my mates quite a lot. And you definitely meet quality people.

Also, there's a website, www.fitness-singles.com where you can sign up, & search for people based upon sporting interests. The member pool there isn't huge, but it's a targeted one, assuming that you set your search filters appropriately.

If you need more specifics on websites, POC's etc., just LMK... assuming that is you aren't overwhelmed by the volume of info which you can find online :-)

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 13:15   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Hi, & Welcome.
A couple of thoughts. You can always try your luck via taking crew positions on various yachts. Particularly when there's a big crossing coming up, like a rally or race. If you do that, obviously it's not a full on dating situation, but there's a good pool of gents & yachts... many of whom are in a position somewhat akin to yours, albeit they own boats.
And rally's occur/re-occur with frequency like clockwork, due to seasonal winds & weather. Ditto on races, albeit races are a LOT more frequently... several times a week in big cities. From serious ones, to kicked back Wednesday Night Beer Can Series'. And they're a GREAT way to meet folks, & perspective mates - given the HUGE pool of athletic singles who take part in the races + the parties immediately after them. As well as in relation to same.

A couple of obvious Rally's are the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers (ARC), & the Ba Ha, Ha Ha (sp?). Both of which have websites, & specific subforums for folks looking for crew, or looking for rides. And those who post on such sites are specific about what they're looking for, including romance (in some/semi-good numbered instances).
Here's a place to start looking, Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude I'm not sure if it's started yet, but right about now, there's a big flux of cruisers heading down to Mexico & points south, from Southern California, as part of the Ba Ha, Ha, Ha.
But even if it's begun, boats move slowly, & the scheduled stops & major fiestas associated with the Rally etc., are posted. So it's easy to catch up.

And given that you're in Wales, it'd also be a good time to create a Resume/CV & sailing dream sheet (I'm being serious & literal here). To start posting it in places in the UK/Europe, as the ARC & a HUGE migration of yachts leaves Europe right around the Holidays, heading off to more or less "follow Columbus's route". AKA head east for the Carribean

Also there are crew placement agencies, which may or not be worth your time. Depending on whether your priority is finding a mate, or heading out on the seven seas.

While I know those answers aren't specifically what you inquired about, however, sailing, anywhere, is a small town. And folks look after one another... in the standard manner of small towns, but also in the sense of finding dates for friends/sailing mates. Such has happened to me & some of my mates quite a lot. And you definitely meet quality people.

Also, there's a website, www.fitness-singles.com where you can sign up, & search for people based upon sporting interests. The member pool there isn't huge, but it's a targeted one, assuming that you set your search filters appropriately.

If you need more specifics on websites, POC's etc., just LMK... assuming that is you aren't overwhelmed by the volume of info which you can find online :-)

Hi ,
Wow thanks so much for all the information ! You have gone to alot of trouble .
Thankyou so much ... It looks like I have some work to do !
Much appreciated !
Lucy

Old 28-09-2014, 13:16   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyloo730 View Post
Very interesting article actually ... I had not put much consideration into the dangers of foreign waters. living in quite unstable times ... People don't like us english much anymore . Bloody politics !! Good information.

Yeah being kidnapped was not the most pleasant experience for my mum ... Luckily a lady in a brothel helped her and she was lucky. But has made me more alert when traveling alone . Unfortunately young woman are usually targets .
(I'm still calling myself young)

And I'm happy I'm not banned from cruiser forum on day 1! Phew

you will be fine on CF,weavis is a moderator anyway so you cant go wrong!

yes, when travelling it does pay to trust your instincts though you are generally pretty safe on a boat and generally go ashore as a group in dodgy areas.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 13:19   #81

Quote:
you will be fine on CF,weavis is a moderator anyway so you cant go wrong!

yes, when travelling it does pay to trust your instincts though you are generally pretty safe on a boat and generally go ashore as a group in dodgy areas.

Ok ... Don't upset weavis then !

Thanks and see you on a thread somewhere

Old 28-09-2014, 13:20   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi ,
Wow thanks so much for all the information ! You have gone to alot of trouble .
Thankyou so much ... It looks like I have some work to do !
Much appreciated !
Lucy

you might want to try Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers

you have to pay a bit but generally a very good resource for crew looking for boats....and you don't get the third degree like on CF
Old 28-09-2014, 13:21   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

thread drift alert:
atoll uk ebay.... Iroquois Mark 1 Catamaran 1968 .30 feet. Stripped to basic shell . New tinted Perspex window and professionally gell coated in bright white. Now ready for someone else to complete as we just don't have the time. This lovely boat has great lines and real potential. Rails and fittings ready to go back on. Sail, mast included.. Please E- mail with any queries or to arrange to view.
The boat is currently standing in a boatyard in Plymouth

Not for me but if you get bored this is open to offer under 6k
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 13:24   #84

Where can I find Love on the Waves ?

Quote:
you might want to try Yacht crew agency, yacht crew vacancy, sailing crew from Crewseekers

you have to pay a bit but generally a very good resource for crew looking for boats....and you don't get the third degree like on CF

I have actually been on those for a while ... I thought I might get more sensible advice here ..... Hmmmmm

Thanks anyway

Old 28-09-2014, 13:27   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
thread drift alert:

atoll uk ebay.... Iroquois Mark 1 Catamaran 1968 .30 feet. Stripped to basic shell . New tinted Perspex window and professionally gell coated in bright white. Now ready for someone else to complete as we just don't have the time. This lovely boat has great lines and real potential. Rails and fittings ready to go back on. Sail, mast included.. Please E- mail with any queries or to arrange to view.

The boat is currently standing in a boatyard in Plymouth

Not for me but if you get bored this is open to offer under 6k

Actually I'm warming to these thread drifts ...
Sounds like a nice boat for me ... Just need a man to help me do the work ... Hmmm

Old 28-09-2014, 13:29   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have actually been on those for a while ... I thought I might get more sensible advice here ..... Hmmmmm

Thanks anyway

east coast America and carib is just starting to come online in the next hour or so....you might get more sense out of them than us poms
Old 28-09-2014, 13:39   #87

Quote:
east coast America and carib is just starting to come online in the next hour or so....you might get more sense out of them than us poms

I won't hold out any hope !

Old 28-09-2014, 13:46   #88

Boat: a sailing boat

Do not sell yourself short. 29 y.o and can cook. Priceless.

Aim at minimum 80 feet over the deck and a budget to match.

Do not worry over the whole love thing. It is overrated.

Find the right boat, THEN fall in love.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 01:47   #89

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Word your ad something like this

Great looking younger female, excellent cook etc looking for good man with good boat for serious relationship

Send pictures of the boat

That way they will know you are serious

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 02:35   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Word your ad something like this

Great looking younger female, excellent cook etc looking for good man with good boat for serious relationship

Send pictures of the boat

That way they will know you are serious

Thanks ... That's to the point ... But I suppose you don't ask you don't get !
Any specifics of where to 'advertise' !?