Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:04   #76

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Where and how do you get the money

The wonderful thing about this world is the endless options we each have. And that there are as many opinions as there are people...Although some people think that's a bad thing.

If you think you might want to retire from sailing one day, or if you decide to come back home and be a local sailor, or whatever you choose, there's certainly no shame in it. Don't let the BS scare you Whether you sail around the world, or simply cruise the Bahama's every winter for the next 40 years, it's entirely up to you. It's your life, the trick (in my opinion) is to go ahead and make those decisions now, so you can effectively set goals and make realistic plans on how to accomplish them.
This is how us arrogant noobs are appropriately capable of "knowing" we're going to sail away indefinitely (or whatever your choice is). It's called a plan...Of course, we all know that plans rarely turn out exactly how we imagine, but if you don't plan for something you can't expect it to happen.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33   #77

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
. . . I'm already considered elderly. The scariest thing in the world for me is dying watching a tv gameshow in a nursing home or a rooming house scaping along on social security and food stamps. My life plan is to make sure that doesn't happen.. . .
And I would submit the above is an accurate statement of the fear shared by most long term elderly cruisers. World cruising allows you to regain total control over you life and how you live it. Giving that up to return to a nursing home or hospital where you no longer have any or much say in your existence really is terrifying.
- - There aren't many really old long term cruisers out there but those that I have met are solidly of the opinion that choosing how and when you depart this existence is strictly your own business and not the business of governmental or medical committees and boards who are influenced by political pressure groups.
- - And the only way I know of maintaining total control over your life is to live elsewhere away from such places. Cruising gives you the opportunity to visit and experience places where human dignity and self-determination is still legal.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:14   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I have to take issue with that "first honest answer" stuff.

I admire your honesty in admitting there may be a time you'll want off the boat. For you, the obvious answer (obvious to me at least) is you need to work more than some others so that you always have a stash of dough for that what if. I think most of us are more worried about that heart attack the day after you get the gold watch.
I apologize. I can see how that could look bad. I was more referring to the after sailing question that like you said, everyone side stepped.
No doubt I’ve put things into perspective. The thing that I have that some don’t is it doesn’t take me a brick in the face to realize I need to do or change something. Between reading other threads and this one, my time frame as extended. But it’s ok, when it happens I’ll be set for what I think I need.
You are right, for me it’s working a little longer. Pay off debts and save. But I have to admit that the last of you comment worries me too. Getting paid and being unable to spend it would suck.
Lifegoal2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01   #79

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Most long term cruisers that I've met don't have lots of money. They live frugally. I don't have enough money to do this but I'm going to do it anyway. We'll make some money writing and some fixing boats and we'll be broke in exotic locations around the world.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26   #80

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - And the only way I know of maintaining total control over your life is to live elsewhere away from such places. Cruising gives you the opportunity to visit and experience places where human dignity and self-determination is still legal.
And where, pray tell, might that be? Certainly no place in the rapidly spreading western hemisphere.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:28   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
And where, pray tell, might that be? Certainly no place in the rapidly spreading western hemisphere.
Try the South Pacific islands
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 15:59   #82

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I'm in my thirties, own a home, own a boat, did it myself - as full time farmer. Bank owns my boat, but I get to sail it wherever I can in my time off. I do not agree with only buying a boat if you have cash, but at my age I don't have that kind of cash. When we take off for longer cruises, I'll use my skills to make some money, so will my wife. We'll rent the house out and have our retirement and equity to come back to if we want to come home. As far as what is after, I think I remember you saying something about assisted living. That's a whole nother world that I have given little thought to but something that faces us normal people. Keep doing all the basic things, building credit, equity, love your kid, and keep your eye on the ball. Worry about growing old later, despite having some bail-out contingencies if you want to come home. In general I think you just have to want it bad enough and hustle. Good luck-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 16:42   #83

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Yea but you could always by the house later and cheaper.
Not in Australia house prices have not stopped going up for over 20 years, But my reason for never selling my home is I could rent this house out corporate and get $500 to $600 a week, yes its worth over a mill but a huge block close to the city so value will always be good.

So after expenses thats how I could fund my life mixed with my savings. But op I had to work hard for 20 years to own my life, I did achieve this by my own business & property making boarding houses to be exact.

I have no problem with debit!!! but I say there are 2 kinds good and bad.
Good debit will produce more money in than it costs to pay the debit off.

Bad is personal stuff that produces no benefit to making money
As one guy says back in the thread when people are fearful start buying any good income producing property, business if it can do good in bad times it flys in the good.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 17:09   #84

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
In the western hemisphere just about any country - other than the USA & its territories and probably also Canada. Folks seem to think that the world stops at the borders of the USA/Canada. Not so, once you have lived outside for a period of time you get a perspective that is totally alien to those still living "inside." It is both refreshing and sobering.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 18:51   #85

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Where and how do you get the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Not in Australia house prices have not stopped going up for over 20 years, But my reason for never selling my home is I could rent this house out corporate and get $500 to $600 a week, yes its worth over a mill but a huge block close to the city so value will always be good.

I have no problem with debit!!! but I say there are 2 kinds good and bad.
Good debit will produce more money in than it costs to pay the debit off.

Bad is personal stuff that produces no benefit to making money

I used to work shrimp boats in TX, and I told a Captain I was buying a boat and would have it tomorrow. Next day I asked him what he thought about the blue boat over there.

The blue boat over there?

Yeah.

How ya gonna make any money with that? It's a freaking sailboat!

Heh.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 19:38   #86

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
In the western hemisphere just about any country - other than the USA & its territories and probably also Canada. Folks seem to think that the world stops at the borders of the USA/Canada. Not so, once you have lived outside for a period of time you get a perspective that is totally alien to those still living "inside." It is both refreshing and sobering.
That pretty much sums up my experience so far living in Thailand! Sometimes its really hard to get your head around something but it really is worth it in the long run. Living in a developing country will definitely expand your mind and world outlook.
Old 11-06-2011, 20:09   #87
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

sctpc-
"But my reason for never selling my home is I could rent this house out corporate and get $500 to $600 a week, yes its worth over a mill but "
But you enjoy tking a loss on your investement?

One million dollars at 4% per annum would be about $759 per week, every week, in interest income. And you can get more than 4% on a million dollar investment, while your corporate rentals surely also have costs and vacant weeks to consider.

Unless I've slipped a digit in my math, as has been known to happen.

So how does the new math work? You're taking a loss of $259 (plus operating expenses) per week on a million dollar property ? And that loss pays for sailing?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:17   #88

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
sctpc-
"But my reason for never selling my home is I could rent this house out corporate and get $500 to $600 a week, yes its worth over a mill but "
But you enjoy tking a loss on your investement?

One million dollars at 4% per annum would be about $759 per week, every week, in interest income. And you can get more than 4% on a million dollar investment, while your corporate rentals surely also have costs and vacant weeks to consider.

Unless I've slipped a digit in my math, as has been known to happen.

So how does the new math work? You're taking a loss of $259 (plus operating expenses) per week on a million dollar property ? And that loss pays for sailing?
I've learned that Aussies are not very logical when it comes to real estate. They seem to feel immune to the concept of asset bubbles that the rest of the world has been experiencing.
Old 11-06-2011, 20:19   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
I had to work hard for 20 years to own my life, .
Work hard. Hard work. Work Hard.

Thats the common thing said by people who have 'made it'.

Yet if you look at this thread too many have thoughts illegal, or the lottery, or just think anyone who worked hard for it is filthy rich. Like it was some accident their bank account filled up. Bank Error in your Favor Collect a Beneteau.

So in the years to come those cruising enjoyably will still be those that have paid their dues.... have worked hard.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:24   #90
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I've learned that Aussies are not very logical when it comes to real estate. They seem to feel immune to the concept of asset bubbles that the rest of the world has been experiencing.

No. Boofhead. Its because our laws are different.

The realestate in Australia is NOT taxed anually like UK and US housing and only investment real estate is once the land value is above $390,000 (NSW).

Real estate in Australia has had a steady increase over half a century. See Below.

If you want to invest, chuck some money into real estate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	houses.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	28389  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money