Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 17:23   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The only "rules" I have found are the traditional ones that might be in Chapman's.

Over 100' long = ship. Under 100' long=boat.

Submarines, because they were always traditionally SMALL and usually carried aboard something else, remain BOATS. No matter how long they are. This is why the "Electric Boat Division" of GE builds nuclear submarines.

And, any vessel that is carried aboard another larger vessel, is a boat. Except perhaps for the "Admiral's Barge" which may be a boat--but is never referred to as such, even if hoist aboard a battleship.

Number of decks? Never heard of it. Ferries? Follow the 100-foot rule, unless they are converted submarines.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15   #17

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyRaven View Post
When does a woman become a lady?

When she marries a man with a ship!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:51   #18

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
How about the good ship "LoliPop" wasn't that a boat?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:55   #19

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Has anybody ever abandoned boat?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:05   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Has anyone ever seen the artistic sketches of the Swing under the tree. A series of sketches that show the swing from differetn point of views. Like, how the architect designed it, how the engineer built it, how the installer installed it and what the owner actually wanted.
I reckon we need an artistic person here, to come up with a series of sketches of a boat, what the designer designed(a mega yacht), what the builder built(totaly different), what the owner wanted(a modest little boat), what the broker see's(dollar signs) and what the potential buyer see's(a derilict money hungry whole in the water). Now that woudl be funny to see. I wish I was good a drawing.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 13:33   #21

Boat: NONE yet
BC Ferry = sea bottom finder

It is funny you say that as a ferry in VA ran aground to keep from sinking.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:32   #22

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Charley, the Queen of the North sank a few years ago, that is what is being referred to... lol!

HelloSailer, you have better eyes than I do, I can't find it in Chapman's, at least the old one I have used the most, from 1964. But the rules refer to a motor vessel as something 65 feet or under. I have the most recent Chapman's as well, but can't locate it today....
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The only "rules" I have found are the traditional ones that might be in Chapman's.

Over 100' long = ship. Under 100' long=boat.

Submarines, because they were always traditionally SMALL and usually carried aboard something else, remain BOATS. No matter how long they are. This is why the "Electric Boat Division" of GE builds nuclear submarines.

And, any vessel that is carried aboard another larger vessel, is a boat. Except perhaps for the "Admiral's Barge" which may be a boat--but is never referred to as such, even if hoist aboard a battleship.

Number of decks? Never heard of it. Ferries? Follow the 100-foot rule, unless they are converted submarines.

This is a ship then?

The number of decks "rule" (2 or more full length decks above the waterline) was told to me by my grandfather, who served in the Royal Navy from 1939 - 1954. It's about the only "rule" I have heard that actually makes sense, and "fits" in the majority of cases.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 14:52   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
When the dinghy is so large that it becomes a boat it's a ship. The military definition is not exactly the same as a civilian definition.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 19:01   #25

Boat: Westsail 32
I always liked the distinction being that a 'ship' is designed/intended to live out its service life in the water, while a 'boat' is designed/intended to be hauled on deck or on-the-hard (as needed, seasonal, etc.).

Not a perfect definition, but works with a little imagination. A 20' CC that stays in year-round in FL is not a ship. But that type boat generally comes out in say New England or the Great Lakes.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 20:17   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't think there is a true definition. The definition I have always liked best because it is so simple is, if a boat is too large to put aboard a ship, then it is a ship. Boats are launched from ships...ships are not launched from ships...right?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 21:57   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
I always liked the distinction being that a 'ship' is designed/intended to live out its service life in the water, while a 'boat' is designed/intended to be hauled on deck or on-the-hard (as needed, seasonal, etc.).

Not a perfect definition, but works with a little imagination. A 20' CC that stays in year-round in FL is not a ship. But that type boat generally comes out in say New England or the Great Lakes.
I would have to lean towards this as a good base to differentiate between the two.

A ship is built on the land and once launched it never returns, as well can only be transported afloat. And, only in a dry dock would it ever leave the water. Where as, a boat can be hoisted out of the water and placed on land/truck or a ship and can be transported by external means............._/)
Old 04-02-2008, 19:13   #28

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Just found out the US Coast Guard considers anything over 20 meters as a Ship!
Old 04-02-2008, 21:08   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The USCG can "consider" anything they'd like, but they are required to follow the definitions set in the USCode and other legislation. Unless there is a definition of "ship" in the USC or international convention, the USCG's "consideration" of it is just one more non-binding opinion, from one more organization, that changes their formal policy statements every time they get a new Commandant.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 00:51   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I kinda thought a ship could operate independently but a boat could not.
I.e a naval ship can do an independent task of long duration such as a long range patrol. Whereas a boat, like a patrol boat can only operate within a flotilla or in a limited manner where it can be resupplied.

I feel a yacht when operating close to shore and without supplies to go far would be a boat, but when it decides to hook off and do a voyage it would be a ship.

I really don't mind if someone calls their boat a boat, ship or tub

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote