Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 22:30   #16

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
I've found that unless you have one of those $1000+ home stereo systems, the quality you lose with mp3s even as far down as 128k isn't really noticable unless I'm specifically listening for it.

This is just my opinion, but cheap speakers or headphones degrade the sound more than mp3 compression ever will.

Of course, I still use the cheap speakers and headphones, cause they're all I can afford, but I've got no problem with them, I still enjoy the music as much as the guy who paid $1000+ to listen to it as opposed to my $20-

My list:

a bit of Jimmy Buffett, of course,
The Pillows (A japanese rock band)
Electric Light Orchestra
Some Misc. Tv show and video game sound tracks(actually most of my music consists of these)
The Delgados
Some classical I've picked up at different places along the way
Some generic Big Band cd from wal mart
Some generic Celtic music cd from wal mart
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 22:35   #17

For those who enjoy The Kingston Trio and any kind of folk music, check out The Weavers. They were singing great American folk music while the Kingston Trio were still in first grade. And way better, imo.

Pete Seeger was one of The Weavers... what a voice he had back then.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:12   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
but I have ripped most of my stuff to 192 or higher and keep it on an ipod.
what software do you use to rip at 192?
Old 08-08-2006, 03:07   #19

Boat: H28

Really fascinating! As a new member, I didn't think the cruising forum would be so much fun.
On the rare occasions that we play the stereo, our tastes are classical. As well, I am an enthusiastic player of the penny-whistle. Perhaps I could post my practice schedule so you'll know when to keep a wide berth??

Joke & Chris
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:42   #20

there are tons of software that can convert wavs to mp3's, but I use Itunes, unless I am converting a ton at a time. I have on several occasions ripped a thousand tunes at a time, and I leave that up to a program like EasyWMA. Itunes is usually the best though....set your resolution in the preferences pane.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19   #21
cruiser

My CD Collection looks like a little white box with this round dial on it and a square LCD screen. (couldn't resist!) ha ha ha

I haven't owned a CD since 2000 or so.

Anyway, we have over a month of music if you put it on random and let it play 24 hours a day, non-stop.

Problem is... I'm tired of most of it. Is there any *good* new music anyone can suggest? I like 80's, 90's, folk, reggae (old reggae, not reggaeton), old hip hop (to laugh and pick up the mood when you aren't in the mood to be quiet), classical, jazz, enya stuff, etc...

I also agree with DefJef - silence is far better than the constant drone of music playing in the background. We have too many things on all the time these days - TV, music, etc. I also sit and listen to music just like Jef does.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:27   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
My cd collection looks like my cassette tape collection which looks like my album collection. It's amazing as the media changes all you do is go out and buy the same stuff over and over again. Now it looks like my laptop collection. It was just blind luck that I missed the eight track phase.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:24   #23

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco
My cd collection looks like my cassette tape collection which looks like my album collection. It's amazing as the media changes all you do is go out and buy the same stuff over and over again. Now it looks like my laptop collection. It was just blind luck that I missed the eight track phase.
i finally tossed my tape collection when we moved 3 years back, not really sure why i held onto it that long.

I run wma's in my truck and car, they seem to be a little smaller then the mp3's, but the one i bought for the boat is mp3 only. I have noticed a sound difference on some songs, but for the most part they sound find, its not like i have any high end stereo components.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:57   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Got to admit can't find the albums, they're in the basement somewhere with the turntable and the cassette tapes ended up as tell-tales on charter boats. Even lost some of my cd's. Between cars and boats don't know where some of them got to. Might get XM radio for the boat, then the infrequent guests can choose their own music and stop bitching about my taste.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:32   #25

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
You can choose lossless compression with most rippers in WMA or MP3 format and get an average 2/1 compression over PCM (WAV) without any loss of quality.

I think defjef has some good points. It sucks to be in a beautiful anchorage with some knucklehead blasting "who let the dogs out..." (a less than relished memory of mine). That said if you've got a spot all to yourself if can be kinda fun to blast some Holst, Jay Furguson or Megadeth. Everyone should also get a chance to sit in the cockpit at anchor while listening to a concert on the beach.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:31   #26

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Our boat music collection is small. Stan Rogers, Great big Sea and a CD of 80's classic Rock is all we carry. This year our CD player decided it was not going to work, so we had to hope we were in an area that had decent radio reception. Too bad, really. I missed ending the day with Stan Rogers music in the background as we sipped our Captain morgans...

Lori, rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 15:40   #27

Speaking of who let the dogs out......I have a funny that might a bit off topic, but oh well.....

I hate loud music, which is funny, because I am an audio engineer by trade. I especially hate to hear it where I live. Nine times out of ten, it is ridiculous rap that all you hear is the bass thudding thru your chest.

Once I had some neighbors that insisted on playing their radios at defcon 9 to where three houses down it rattled the dishes on my sink. Called the cops, talked to them, did everything in the book. One day I had enough and threw a tantrum of my own.

I went to work and got every speaker I could find and all the amp racks to match. I think I had a truck of about 30 concert speakers, enough to power a show for 5000. I set every one of them up in my front yard pointed towards the offending neighbors. Figuring that if rap is what they listen to, they probably hate anything else.

I found an abnoxious CD of english bagpipes, and I let it rip for about an hour. (I told all my other neighbors what I was going to do, and they thought it was funny). You know, I never had another problem out of these trashy people. My electric bill sucked that month, but it was a small price to pay. I think they later got evicted, but it is funny looking back on it.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 17:59   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

We left the dock one day playing Bach...and came back playing New Riders of the Purple Haze. Confused the heck out of the dockmaster.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote