Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 08:44   #1

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
What's in a Name?

I believe that my boat's seaworthiness and cleanliness is more important than a name, but I find myself with a little idle time where I am unable to work on it, and I find myself considering a name.

I'm not here to ask for actual name suggestions, I'm asking for advice on naming criteria and conventions.

First, the boat is a '69 Coronado 25. It's old and small by today's standards. The boat appears to have never been named. There is no evidence of lettering on the stern, and none mentioned in any records that I have. Is it even proper to name a boat this small?

Second, assuming it's not a delusion of grandeur to name a 25' sloop, I believe that the name should reflect the type and condition of the craft. I'm trying to avoid anything pretentious or showy. You don't name a dirty, neglected vessel "Queen Somebody".

I have the WORST imagination when it comes to "clever" names or sayings and many of them have been taken for ship names anyway.

So:

1. Is it proper to name a boat as small as 25'?

2. A name appropriate for the class and physical condition of the vessel.

3. Clever can be good if it's original and makes sense. Otherwise, avoid it.

4. Try to select a name that is meaningful to the owner/captain, and at least marginally intelligible over VHF and telephone communications in case of emergencies.

Any disagreements? Additions?

Thanks.
Old 16-12-2009, 08:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Any size boat can named. And the Coronado 25 is as deserving as any, great boat she is. (Ok, so I might be biased as my first one was a C25).
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 09:02   #3

Boat: Cascade
Its a 69 ?

What about 69er?
Old 16-12-2009, 09:08   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Sure why not?

I believe that it is entirely appropriate to name your boat. The only boats that I cannot see naming are those made of rubber and filled with air.

Cutesie and clever names like "Wet Dream, Hot Ruddered Bum, or G-Spot" grow old quickly and do not demonstrate any level of dignity. These types of names should be avoided. Also names that can be easily confused are additionally a problem. For instance, naming your boat "PayDay" would likely cause undue excitemant when calling on the VHF and could quite possibly land you in the brig.

If unsure of a name, try it out before committing it to paint. Walk down the dock and tell a few random sailors, "I am going to name my boat ______!" Say the name with enthusiasm. If they look at you with a blank stare while slowly backing away or fall on the dock holding their sides with tears rolling down a cheek you might best re-think your choice of name.

Traditionally, proper boat names that have three of the letter "A" in them but do not start with an "A" are thought to be good luck. (Look what happened to the TITANIC!)

Of course, one should not overlook the importance of the "naming cerimony" to gain the acceptance and good favor of POSIDEON. There a number of posts that give an outline of the verbage and tenor to be employed. Keep in mind that POSIDEON doesn't at all appreciate cheap liquor and will not soon forget a thrifty regression.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 09:26   #5

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Name for a 25 footer

I wouldn't necessarily name it the "Queen Mary", but it's well deserving of a name. A 25 foot boat is not by any means the smallest boat around. It's a good size for one person.

I've even seen alot of dinghy's with names.

I am trying to come up with a good name for mine as well.... once I have her back to ship shape I am going to sail her out into the ocean to perform the naming ceremony.

Hmmm....I wonder if the Coast Guard will fine me if they see me dumping liquor into the ocean?
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 10:22   #6

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
The boat definitely deserves a name. If all I had was an innertube and a bedsheet I would name it. Especially as you spend more time on the boat, you will notice that it has its own personality. It will protect you, and you take care of it. I think that the name of a boat should say alot about it. It certainly can say alot about the captain. Typically one has to be sure that the name could be understood over the radio. Just some things to think about,
Spencer
Old 16-12-2009, 12:09   #7

Boat name

A boat name name is like a tatoo, best you love it before you put it on. Consider if you want to save the name for your final boat. My boat has a name from past owner that I can live with. If in future I decide that it is my last boat I may change name to one I have created but don't want to squander.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 12:16   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
' Whats in a name? That which we call a Rose would smell as sweet by any other name' .....Billy Shakespear.
Old 16-12-2009, 12:21   #9

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
A boat name name is like a tatoo, best you love it before you put it on. Consider if you want to save the name for your final boat. My boat has a name from past owner that I can live with. If in future I decide that it is my last boat I may change name to one I have created but don't want to squander.
There won't ever necessarily be a "final" boat for me. Theoretically, I'd be holding the name forever. Names are assigned to personalities, and each vessel will have it's own personality and accordingly, it's own name.

I'll attempt to provide a dignified name that anyone could live with. And if the boat survives to see another owner, they'll have to decide if they want to accept the name, skip the purchase or rename the boat.
Old 16-12-2009, 13:04   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
An easily understood name is important, otherwise you will quickly grow
tired of bridgetenders (and everybody else) responding "What?".
Also, when you paint the name on the boat don't paint "The Titanic", just
put "Titanic". Otherwise you technically would have to refer to your boat
as the "The Titanic".
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 13:50   #11

Boat: Egg harbor 33 named Willow Star
I spend alot of time on the docks and know alot of people from this marina.
Most of the time these people are referred by the name of the boat and less by their own names.
So "George & Lacy", they are called "Double Trouble" or he isn't "Mike", he is "Slow-Poke"

Funny how people will forget your name, but never the name of your boat.

So yeah, I would say I think the name is important.

Good luck in your quest for a name.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:06   #12

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
I spend alot of time on the docks and know alot of people from this marina.
Most of the time these people are referred by the name of the boat and less by their own names.
So "George & Lacy", they are called "Double Trouble" or he isn't "Mike", he is "Slow-Poke"

Funny how people will forget your name, but never the name of your boat.

So yeah, I would say I think the name is important.

Good luck in your quest for a name.
Its how people in Great Britain got their names in Medieval times, often being named after their job or where they lived.

Miller, Cartwright, Brewer, Smith etc

Gynecologist was more of a mouthful and was probably shortened to a four letter word.
Old 16-12-2009, 14:11   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I agree with those who eschew the cutesie names. Something dignified but not too pretentious. Try saying it three times, as you would in a VHF call. If it trips you up, or (as others have suggested) could be misunderstood, it's no good. Btw, the above test favors one-word names, or two at most, I believe.
Old 16-12-2009, 14:11   #14

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Tip-Ring, Band Width, Slack Span, T-3, Hard Short, Tip Ring Ground, OC-12, Quasi, All 1's, Send & Receive, Load Coil. Split Pair, Cross & Recross, Split & Resplit.

That is one heap of telephone lingo.
Old 16-12-2009, 14:22   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
I considered "cute" names and in the end decided it was best to go simple. So "D&D" for Don & Dana was born. Easy the say, not confusing. People in the know quickly learn our names as they want to know what "D&D" stands for.

And don't forget the bar talk side of the issue of how many times you want to explain it to someone. We considered this and figured if some drunk asked if it stood for "X" and we didn't want to talk to them we could just say they were right and move on.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote