Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:15   #1

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
What Is Customary Regarding Sharing Cost with Crew and Guests ?

1) With crew, are shared costs the norm? If so what costs are reasonable? Is there a sliding scale based on how well you know them? How do you coordinate their contribution?

2) With guests (friends & relatives) coming for a long stay do you ask them to share cost of provisions and/or any other costs? When and how do you ask? How do you coordinate their contribution?

My partner and I differ in opinion. Developing an expectation and a plan from your replies would help me feel more at ease.
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:35   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: What is customary regarding sharing cost with crew and guests?

On Moon Dancer:

First there is never an exchange of cash as some countries interpret that as 'charter money'

Friends share the groceries and we pay the boat costs but most of our friends want to come back so they are usually very generous when it comes to buying booze for the boat and buying dinner.

We have 'crew' at the moment who is spending a year with us: he is getting a RYA level sailing education including a transatlantic crossing and will be a Yachtmaster when all is finished . We cover all boat, food and scuba diving costs, he pays his ashore costs but he is a licensed electrician and he does excellent work on the boat and as I write he is fixing the A/C. So by the time he has finished working on our 27-yr-old electrics he will be a qualified boat electrician too.

Many people do get cash contributions from crew.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:38   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

On our boat we never take on "crew," and guests are treated like guests on land. I would never expect them to pay for any of the boat supplies or food onboard, but I wouldn't be unhappy if they brought along a bottle or two, or took us out to dinner as a thank you.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:45   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i do not take on guests. i cannot support others in my life.if someone wishes to share my adventures, we can share costs of the trip. we can also share the work to get from one place to another. i do not do day sails, but rather longer passages.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I like that approach Kettle. It's like inviting someone over for dinner. It is not expected that they bring something but it sure is a nice touch to show their appreciation for their hosts.

Requiring that people partially pay for the cruise either through cash or providing supplies is more of a skippered charter situation. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

By the way, our typical guests are only onboard for a weekend or a few days, with the occasional stay of a week or so, but we have never had guests onboard for longer than two weeks I think. I personally always have my boat set up to be run by a couple, which essentially means that the onwatch person is singlehanding most of the time. So, there really is no advantage for us in having extra hands onboard. If my guests want to steer or help out on an overnight passage, fine, but I do not expect or require it. I find that most guests prefer to coastal hop anyway.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:55   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

I think it depends on how bad you want/need them aboard.

For example if you NEED crew to move your boat you should pay based on what they bring to the party. For example if you need a trained, experienced, licensed, drug tested professional you should pay all of their travel expenses and the going daily rate. If you just need a body to stand watch then they should cover their own travel expenses and you feed them. They don’t pay anything because you need them.

If on the other hand you have an extra bunk and someone WANTS to fill it then you can ask for whatever you want. I see lots of ads where people want so much a day plus a share of fuel and food etc. I think this is then a charter and all kinds of laws kick in if anyone wanted to make a fuss. But if someone is willing to pay go for it.

If you don’t need them to move your boat I think it is only fare for them to pay a share of the expenses they help create. Food for sure. Fuel, not if you were going there anyway. Docking/mooring what would you have done if they were not there?

If they are friends the other posts cover it very well.
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I asked a couple of friends to help me move the boat to FL so I would have to call them crew. I paid all expenses for the boat and on board food. Did not ask but they occasionally picked up the check when we ate at a restaurant. I'm not much of a drinker so they picked up their own booze tab.

Guests, would depend. For a joint trip planned for mutual fun with sailing or diving buddies I would expect them to share the costs. If a more formal situation, inviting a "guest" to stay with me for a treat I would pick up the costs. However if I am a guest I try to bring an appropriate gift and treat the hosts to a meal out.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:11   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

over the last 25 years having done nearly 3 circumnavigations where i allways took paying crew to defray expenses.
we initially charged $10/day in the 90's,on a 36 footer,then after 99 on the 63 ft we charged$20/day,taking on average 4-8 "guests"

found this to be enough to cover 90% of the expense over nearly 80 000 miles,though $30/day would be a more realistic with current fuel/food costs.

would also mention this figure does not include booze or marina fees apart from a couple of days a month that we would cover.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:12   #10

For the last 2 years we've been cruising we've had 5 guest/couples visit us per year. They stay 8-15 days. We covered everything without question and some guests graciously contributed voluntarily in some way. I really look forward to our guest visits and would love to cover all expenses if our budget could support it.

If our budget could support it I wouldn't even ask this question.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:16   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is customary regarding sharing cost with crew and guests?

It depends... if they're happy on the hook and being dinghy'd ashore... they just cover the food and drink... I'm providing loction and accomodation..
If they want to spend time in a marina where they can step on and off at will... they cover the fee's...
Don't get me wrong... I love driving the dinghy empty... get to stand up on the plane and play silly boogers... and I'm guarantee'd a one way play...
They gorra cover my loss's....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Hospitality is hospitality. When you invite people to visit you at home, to you ask them to share expenses? Why would it be different when you invite them to spend time on your boat?

In polite society, the ideal boat guest brings a few nice bottles of wine aboard, and then treats the owner to a lovely dinner at a restaurant in a port of call. These are considered gestures of appreciation, not fees paid for passage.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20   #13

Regarding crew for long passages I agree w/ CharlesFCook that we should cover those expenses we would incur anyway such as fuel and other fees.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:21   #14

Boat: Boro

I have no autohelm.

The quote from my local chanlery was $6800 for a autohelm setup.

Hence, guests are more than welcome on a "bring some beer" basis, but you need to take turns on watch.
billwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:22   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A lot of really good answers. Consider guests to be guests. I also agree with Zeehag and can imagine myself in that situation; also a very fair approach. The reality is that most people will want to do something, depending on the length of the trip and their understanding of your situation.

The weird area is folks that have either more boat than they can single hand or fear single handing, ask for crew, and then ask for money. In the US it jumps into illegal very quickly, and additionally, if paid, and something bad happens, what is their expectation?

I can't imaging wanting a boat where I needed crew. I manage people for a living and I don't care to manage them on my time. Silly.

Tags
crew