Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2012, 16:46   #46
cruiser

Re: What do you do for a living?

nothing....
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:52   #47

Boat: Trawler
Send a message via Yahoo to FloatyThing

Own a rental property management company and a maintenance company.
My other half is an employment recruiter.

Since we are both self employed, we are working hard on re-configuring the businesses to be remote-control with minimal input required from us while away.
I hope to post more on how we are doing that soon. (I am sure the thread will be something like "How are are living the dream".
FloatyThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:54   #48

Boat: 2001 Helsen Hunter 47-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
But that's unnatural! When stores give a sale (reduced prices), people flock to buy. The opposite is with stocks: people like to buy when the price goes higher but want to sell when the price goes lower.
Not the ones making money on their investments.
CaptainsWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 16:57   #49
SKI

Boat: none yet

Machinist / welder / business owner
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:00   #50

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Ok Sara, it's on! Bussboy, waiter, surfboard maker, landscaper, carpenter, cable tv sales, bricklayer, cab driver, roofer, boat carpenter, deckhand, dive tender, diver, computer programmer, EMT, paramedic, boat builder, family doctor. Did I win? You only get to count "mom" once.
I'll enter this contest, from youngest to present***

Lawn mower, car washer, babysitter, tree topper, roofer, x-ray delivery, photographer, filling station/U-haul/tune up/oil change/propane, ski instructor, appliance repair, inventory clerk, bartender, electronics tech, acoustic tech, owner-operator, mechanical properties tech, burn rate tech, explosive classification tech, medical instruments tech, BREAK FROM WORK~for 2nd round of college, Deck Officer Unlimited Tonnage, classic auto transporter, and last but not least, my most rewarding "job", care giver to my 92 year old dad.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:07   #51

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I'll go the full route as well. Bartender, real estate salesman, boat yard manager, firefighter, Yacht Captain (35 yrs), boat Yard Manager, Now split time between Bahamas and NC mountains. I will grow OLD but not UP!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:08   #52

Boat: Custom designed and build 52'

I started my carreer only 10 years ago, right after leaving university. I started as a sailmaker/designer after getting my masters degree in Naval architecture. I have been doing this for 4 years while sailing World championships, offshore races and many local regatta's as well as offshore cruising.

In my 3rd year at the sailloft, I got the brave plan (or stupid plan if you wish) to build my own designed 50'cruiser. With the income from the sail loft that plan would find a sudden death before the hull would be finished so I changed my career to naval architecture to see my income doubled.

Unfortunately I need to fill my time with commercial vessels due to the fact that nobody on this planet wants a good sailing boat
Anyway, our 50 footer was launched in 2009 and since that day we run a charter company specialized in Arctic expeditions.

So right now my career is 50/50 sailing and boat designing, not bad for only 10 years in the mean world that is called money making I would say .
Erik de Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:31   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik de Jong View Post
I started my carreer only 10 years ago, right after leaving university. I started as a sailmaker/designer after getting my masters degree in Naval architecture. I have been doing this for 4 years while sailing World championships, offshore races and many local regatta's as well as offshore cruising.

In my 3rd year at the sailloft, I got the brave plan (or stupid plan if you wish) to build my own designed 50'cruiser. With the income from the sail loft that plan would find a sudden death before the hull would be finished so I changed my career to naval architecture to see my income doubled.

Unfortunately I need to fill my time with commercial vessels due to the fact that nobody on this planet wants a good sailing boat
Anyway, our 50 footer was launched in 2009 and since that day we run a charter company specialized in Arctic expeditions.

So right now my career is 50/50 sailing and boat designing, not bad for only 10 years in the mean world that is called money making I would say .
I'm impressed. The folks that say their going to build their own boat, I roll my eyes and think to myself "I wonder how much time and money will be burned before the light is seen?" To design a boat I give a double eye roll, but in your case, with your education and early work experience I figure you will have a boat that is perfect for you. Most naval architects, if given a free reign, would design great boats, but instead have to cater to the market of boat charters and "old and cherished" designs.

Keep us on CF posted as to your build and innovative designs and see you out there cruising.
Old 29-03-2012, 17:34   #54

Now you really make me want to show off
I designed the boat we have now at the age of 16!
Old 29-03-2012, 17:54   #55
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Sarafina,

Where did you teach skiing? Since your just over in SF, our paths might have crossed. I taught at Squaw from 1971~1980. Could we have worked together???
I was one pass south on Highway 4 teaching cross country skiing 1978 thru 1984! So I think we prolly did not cross boards ; -)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Ok Sara, it's on! Bussboy, waiter, surfboard maker, landscaper, carpenter, cable tv sales, bricklayer, cab driver, roofer, boat carpenter, deckhand, dive tender, diver, computer programmer, EMT, paramedic, boat builder, family doctor. Did I win? You only get to count "mom" once.
I can't count that high so I don't know if you got me beat, but I am here ta say I was doing the Mom job all the time I was doing the other jobs so I hella CAN claim 'em! ; -)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
was a princess in training, but became a nurse for supporting myself in a style more becoming to me...now i am a derelict sailorette on the move with a spoiled brat maine coon mix gato as a pal.
LOL.. yeah, you so don't fit the DAR profile...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 17:56   #56

Quote:
I want you to show off. What do you think of an A-frame mast on a cat? I like that all sails can be furling and compression loads removed from the weak center of the hull.
Old 29-03-2012, 17:59   #57

I've been thinking about it and made some calculations and sketches as well. In my opinion it is a great concept, there are only two large disadvantages that really impacts the performance. First it is heavy (significantly heavier than a conventional rig) second the windage is very heigh. New topic?
Old 29-03-2012, 17:59   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I was one pass south on Highway 4 teaching cross country skiing 1978 thru 1984! So I think we prolly did not cross boards ; -)
Prior to getting the gig at Squaw, I pleasure skied at Bear Valley. BTW, you look great for almost being my age.
Old 29-03-2012, 18:05   #59

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Eric,
While we have you in a "show off" mood, how about some pics?
I wonder how old the "Wizard of Bristol" was when he designed his first?

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 18:08   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Everything I have done has been based on the selfish attitude and philosophy that:
.. my career choice must make me intrinsically happy in order for me to succeed..

I am at my happiest when on the water and since I only like people around me when they are happy, I became a watersports professional above and below the oceans and for me it continues as my personal success story.
Live! Laugh! Love!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote