Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 06:25   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Weight Workouts vs Aerobic Workouts

So for the last 10 years or so I have been putting more emphasis on aerobic workouts like running mostly and some cycling, but now I'm thinking for those of us 60 and over, weight workouts may be more beneficial.

My goal until a month ago was to complete at least one 3 mile run a week and doing 25 push ups, 5-8 pull ups and some yoga stretches before the run, but now I'm thinking all that running may just be helping gravity pound away at my old body.

So maybe weights 2-3 times/week with a 2-3 mile walk on the weekends then maybe a 2.5 - 3 mile run/jog once a month.

Anyone else over 60 have a regular workout routine?
Old 02-12-2020, 07:13   #2

Re: Weight Workouts vs Aerobic Workouts

Not addressing your question, but do be familiar with at least one phenomenon that you might already be familiar with. Consider where the red of your muscle attaches to the white tendon (that itself inserts into a bone). As we get older the elasticity of of this junction, and the white tendon itself, decreases. This means easier to tear (even if only minor causing one to be sore, maybe laid up for a few days).

Problem is, in our mind we're always 19 years old. We might be in a good workout routine but, if distracted/unable to exercise for a few days, we are prone to getting back at it "full steam" where these ~microtraumas occur, laying us up for a few days, rinse and repeat. A good percentage of people end up feeling sore all the time NOT because "it's normal to have pain in old age" but because their activity level swings so, with associated consequences.

So the practice around the world of stretching routinely/daily is paramount. Stretching after/between exercises is ideally routine, like brushing teeth a couple times a day, even if for less than a minute. Consider that "primitive living humans" basically 'work' every day until they die, such that they don't need to stretch, because they never need to exercise, because they always have an active lifestyle (and don't feel the pains of aging so much, believe it or not).
Old 02-12-2020, 07:27   #3

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

light weights combined with aerobic exercise is what your body needs, moderation in all things, no matter what you do you won’t get your younger body back, you can only hope to slow the aging process. My Ninety one year old father is an an example of a fit guy for his age, he does the light weights and aerobic exercise routine. Don’t get silly.

Fair winds,
Old 02-12-2020, 07:33   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Not addressing your question, but do be familiar with at least one phenomenon that you might already be familiar with. Consider where the red of your muscle attaches to the white tendon (that itself inserts into a bone). As we get older the elasticity of of this junction, and the white tendon itself, decreases. This means easier to tear (even if only minor causing one to be sore, maybe laid up for a few days).

Problem is, in our mind we're always 19 years old. We might be in a good workout routine but, if distracted/unable to exercise for a few days, we are prone to getting back at it "full steam" where these ~microtraumas occur, laying us up for a few days, rinse and repeat. A good percentage of people end up feeling sore all the time NOT because "it's normal to have pain in old age" but because their activity level swings so, with associated consequences.

So the practice around the world of stretching routinely/daily is paramount. Stretching after/between exercises is ideally routine, like brushing teeth a couple times a day, even if for less than a minute. Consider that "primitive living humans" basically 'work' every day until they die, such that they don't need to stretch, because they never need to exercise, because they always have an active lifestyle (and don't feel the pains of aging so much, believe it or not).
Good advice. Thanks.

It explains a lot of the problems I have been experiencing.

My son has preached and preached stretching, but I do a minimal amount then hit it!

And since I'm old/older it takes 3 days to recover after one of my 3 mile run workouts plus the pre run exercises. So sometimes after 3 days or a week I'll do it again and this probably hurts more than helps since back in the day I'd run 3 miles every couple days and do cycling in between plus a weekend 50-70 mile ride with the triathletes and bike racers so my body stayed used to it then.

Btw it takes at least a mile of running/jogging for my body to even approach a comfortable running style due to joint tightness/age these days.

These days though I might ride 10 miles every few weeks.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
light weights combined with aerobic exercise is what your body needs, moderation in all things, no matter what you do you won’t get your younger body back, you can only hope to slow the aging process. My Ninety one year old father is an an example of a fit guy for his age, he does the light weights and aerobic exercise routine. Don’t get silly.

Fair winds,
Thanks.

I have already switch to light weights now I just need to do that more often plus add in more stretching
Old 02-12-2020, 09:34   #6

With careful reservation I encourage learning about controversy surrounding testosterone replacement, if not done so already.

I might describe 2 ideological extremes on the subject, using silly language:
Anti-TRT folks "It's normal that men's T level goes down...giving T may cause several problems...besides, many guys think it's the fountain of youth, solution to their problems."

Pro-TRT folks: "What kind of airplane mechanic sees a plane with a trajectory crashing towards Earth would just take a photograph every 1,000 foot during the crash and not call it in. There's minimal evidence that TRT is harmful and men should make their own informed decision....besides, with respect to female HRT, TRT is where female HRT was 50 years ago....seriously behind the times."

Indeed all the testosterone clinics promising youth with testosterone are a big problem. But legitimate athletes who are low AND suffering (e.g. prolonged recovery from ordinary exercise) I suggest ought to inform them-selves about the subject, from all angles. THAT said, I certainly don't think it's prudent to use T to stay as active as a young man, rather to just make modest exercise more tolerable and enjoyably. Indeed "civilization man" has more reasons to have low T that could cause problems vs "primitive living man."
Old 02-12-2020, 09:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988

YES on stretching for us over 60ers, I add balance exercises, push ups/sit ups (am and pm) and 8 lb weights for resistance work (mostly because I am not a fan of aerobic exercise.. )

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
Old 02-12-2020, 09:54   #8
rbk

Boat: T37

Talk to your doctor first then see about getting a personalized strength circuit designed for you. If you don’t have a heart rate monitor already get one. Calculate your target heart range 220 minus your age, that is your theoretical max heart rate (don’t go above this, also fitness level and pre-existing conditions can effect this so again speak with your dr) once you have that squared away calculate your target heart range (60-80% of your max HR) with your weighted circuit ready to go in perfect form you will do a weighted exercise preferably 15-20 reps (light weight) for each major muscle group (chest/tri’s/back/bi’s/delts/legs/calves/abs) from one to the next with little to no rest keeping your heart rate in your target heart range throughout. You will complete two to three full circuits (45m-1hr). This method encourages bone and muscle density while keeping your body in a state is aerobic activity (like lifting weights while running on a treadmill) so you’re also burning fat and promoting cardio capacity. The weight selected should reflect your ability to complete the full amount of reps while keeping perfect form. The idea is not to push your body too far into anaerobic exercise but keep it just on the cusp of anaerobic/aerobic exercise. A good trainer will include some full range weighted exercises that also act as a stretch. As mentioned above stretching is just as important as exercising. If the above isn’t for you I highly recommend yoga as an alternative or supplemental to the above type workout. Not all yoga instructors are spiritual gurus looking for enlightenment and all that stuff, most just realize the benefits of yoga. I do a circuit three times a week, yoga, stretch or cardio on off days each being 45m-1hr a day. I do not include my hobbies as daily exercise, skiing, hiking etc. Try and dedicate an hour a day to fitness, don’t try and use daily life to excuse yourself from dedicated fitness routine.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Talk to your doctor first then see about getting a personalized strength circuit designed for you. If you don’t have a heart rate monitor already get one. Calculate your target heart range 220 minus your age, that is your theoretical max heart rate (don’t go above this, also fitness level and pre-existing conditions can effect this so again speak with your dr) once you have that squared away calculate your target heart range (60-80% of your max HR) with your weighted circuit ready to go in perfect form you will do a weighted exercise preferably 15-20 reps (light weight) for each major muscle group (chest/tri’s/back/bi’s/delts/legs/calves/abs) from one to the next with little to no rest keeping your heart rate in your target heart range throughout. You will complete two to three full circuits (45m-1hr). This method encourages bone and muscle density while keeping your body in a state is aerobic activity (like lifting weights while running on a treadmill) so you’re also burning fat and promoting cardio capacity. The weight selected should reflect your ability to complete the full amount of reps while keeping perfect form. The idea is not to push your body too far into anaerobic exercise but keep it just on the cusp of anaerobic/aerobic exercise. A good trainer will include some full range weighted exercises that also act as a stretch. As mentioned above stretching is just as important as exercising. If the above isn’t for you I highly recommend yoga as an alternative or supplemental to the above type workout. Not all yoga instructors are spiritual gurus looking for enlightenment and all that stuff, most just realize the benefits of yoga. I do a circuit three times a week, yoga, stretch or cardio on off days each being 45m-1hr a day. I do not include my hobbies as daily exercise, skiing, hiking etc. Try and dedicate an hour a day to fitness, don’t try and use daily life to excuse yourself from dedicated fitness routine.
Thanks.

I don't have a regular doctor, but I do the heart rate thing by getting a 10 second sample with fingers to the neck and multiplying by 6.

Max rate I could reach mid 50's was 184 bpm.

Now, it gets upward of 155 bpm just on a run on the treadmill these days (used to be 144 bpm on my runs along the ICW back on the Gulf Coast in 90 degree heat) ......when the apartment gym was still open.

I've done the circuit training on and off since the 70's so that is still a good thing.

The old school heart rate calculator is on the wall in every gym we have here in this building but it's always seemed so out of whack for the more in shape/athletic types like I used to be and still am sort of..

I don't see too many 65 year old out on the running trail running 3 miles but do see some in town.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:31   #10
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks.

I don't have a regular doctor, but I do the heart rate thing by getting a 10 second sample with fingers to the neck and multiplying by 6.

Max rate I could reach mid 50's was 184 bpm.

Now, it gets upward of 155 bpm just on a run on the treadmill these days (used to be 144 bpm on my runs along the ICW back on the Gulf Coast in 90 degree heat) ......when the apartment gym was still open.

I've done the circuit training on and off since the 70's so that is still a good thing.

The old school heart rate calculator is on the wall in every gym we have here in this building but it's always seemed so out of whack for the more in shape/athletic types like I used to be and still am sort of..

I don't see too many 65 year old out on the running trail running 3 miles but do see some in town.
Still one of the best work outs by far. Easy fast and fun. I usually finish off immediately after my circuits with a 4-5 min song switching between steam engines, jumping jacks, whacky jacks and lunges (switching every 20-30 secs) to hit my 80% hr for a good final five, then 3 min cool down and into 5 sun salutations (vinyasa’s). Stretch days include a good hour of stretching with a good 20 min on legs alone. I’ve also increased reps and circuits over a 6-12 week period every two weeks or so similar to training regimes used for military training so week 1&2 will be two circuits of 15 reps; w3/4 will be 2 circuits of 20; w5/6 2 circuits of 25; w7/8 is 3 circuits of 15 reps (seems easier); w9/10 3 circuits of 20 and so on. You can keep that increase going for a good long while (I’ve maxed out at 3@35 key is to never increase the weights and again light enough to keep perfect form while finishing all reps. If you come up with a good set of exercises you can do with weights or bands you can do your workout on the boat, hotel room, beach you name it. I used to have a plan that was dubbed the navy seal prep workout, simply consisted of push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups and cardio (preferably swimming) in an ever increasing regiment. Made it to week ten or so before it felt like a full time job.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:57   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I am 74 and Judy is 70. We exercise three days a week, for an hour each day.

Both of us do a 15-20 minute aerobic exercise, Me mostly rowing, at a quite hard pace, Judy does treadmill for stairstep, about a mile in 15 minutes.

Then we hit the resistance machines. My circuit is 13 machines, 20-40 reps with weights averaging about 130lbs. I usually do 1.5- 2 circuits. Judy is off on some other machines and I don't follow her exactly. We never actually hit the 60-80% of max heart rate any more after the aerobic part is finished.

This routine makes us feel good, we are totally winded and sweated out by the end of the hour. We know it is not exactly as per recommended but we like it and we can keep it up.

We've been doing this for 4 years now.
Old 02-12-2020, 14:08   #12

Boat: Mirage 35

I consulted an expert and got an explanation of the four systems that need to be exercised: muscular, cardio, balance, and the one that means you know where your appendages are without looking (don't remember what it's called).

For me (63 y.o.) she recommended considerably more strength exercises than I was doing, with specific muscle groups targeted based on her observations. I've been doing that (with cardio and balance) since January and I'm stronger, feel better, and have no more back spasms (which have been an on-and-off problem for years). And lifting the batteries onto the boat in the spring was a lot easier than taking them off last fall.

And you're never too old: I was chatting recently with a friend's father who was happy that his gym had reopened, and proud that even after a couple of months' break he can still press 100 lbs. He's 92.
Old 02-12-2020, 14:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am 74 and Judy is 70. We exercise three days a week, for an hour each day.

Both of us do a 15-20 minute aerobic exercise, Me mostly rowing, at a quite hard pace, Judy does treadmill for stairstep, about a mile in 15 minutes.

Then we hit the resistance machines. My circuit is 13 machines, 20-40 reps with weights averaging about 130lbs. I usually do 1.5- 2 circuits. Judy is off on some other machines and I don't follow her exactly. We never actually hit the 60-80% of max heart rate any more after the aerobic part is finished.

This routine makes us feel good, we are totally winded and sweated out by the end of the hour. We know it is not exactly as per recommended but we like it and we can keep it up.

We've been doing this for 4 years now.
Thanks. I was hoping to get your input since I knew you (and Judy) worked out and were near my age.

With me though, I have to put in a 40 hour week and be totally alert and not worn down so I'm trying to find a happy medium.

My old workout which was a Wednesday lunch time 3 mile run, pull ups, push ups and stretching before hand is tearing me down.

I shower afterward with a 2 liter bottle of water, have some tangy orange Endurox R4 then go back to work......
Old 02-12-2020, 14:38   #14

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I consulted an expert and got an explanation of the four systems that need to be exercised: muscular, cardio, balance, and the one that means you know where your appendages are without looking (don't remember what it's called).
Proprioception.
Old 02-12-2020, 14:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post

For me (63 y.o.) she recommended considerably more strength exercises than I was doing, with specific muscle groups targeted based on her observations. I've been doing that (with cardio and balance) since January and I'm stronger, feel better, and have no more back spasms (which have been an on-and-off problem for years). And lifting the batteries onto the boat in the spring was a lot easier than taking them off last fall.

And you're never too old: I was chatting recently with a friend's father who was happy that his gym had reopened, and proud that even after a couple of months' break he can still press 100 lbs. He's 92.
Thanks.

I'm hitting the weight again. I used the Smith machine the day before Thanksgiving and had 70 lbs on the 45 lb bar and did 12 reps two sets, then curls 50 lbs 12 reps 2 sets, and stretching, and machine pull downs instead of pull ups and I was still beat Thanksgiving day.

Did a similar workout today and feel pretty good.

We also walked the fields in the country day after thanksgiving and didn't even hear one deer hunter's bullet whizzing by!
Closed Thread

Tags
work