Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 14:49   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Weight Workouts vs Aerobic Workouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
We also walked the fields in the country day after thanksgiving and didn't even hear one deer hunter's bullet whizzing by!
That's too bad - 'cause that's a great way to get the heart rate up
Old 02-12-2020, 14:55   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
That's too bad - 'cause that's a great way to get the heart rate up
Yep!

When I was maybe 12 years old some friends and I were in the woods maybe 600-700 yards behind the town and we heard "that" noise a few times.

We finally figured out what it was and saw the guy behind his barn shooting towards the woods we were in.

He couldn't have seen us.....so we hit the deck and crawled.

7 years later I could easily hit 9 or 10 bulls eyes from 500 yards in the prone position in Marine Corp Boot Camp.

Childs play after 2 weeks of training and a super tight sling.

And we didn't have the little scopes they have these days.

Windage and elevation numbers were in our little booklets so we could adjust quickly

The only problem was the guy in your platoon nearby that you wouldn't trust with your car much less with 10 rounds.

Old 02-12-2020, 15:30   #18

Boat: J/42

Completely unexpected - I noticed that my phone was quietly recording the "number of steps" I take each day. At least during those times that I carry it. Good grief! Someone's watching! Somehow this prodded me into more action.
No more, "two or three times a week." Now it's gotta be at least 10,000 steps every day.
Well, that was last year... before I adopted an Alaskan Husky. Now it's 5 - 10 miles every day. (Do you know what it's like trying to wind down for the evening in a house with an un-walked Husky?)
But yeah, gotta work in resistance training too. No more heavy lifting at my age (my heavy may not be your heavy, or anyone else's) but walking/running alone doesn't maintain muscle tone. Bodyweight exercises con cover a lot of that as well. One reason I've thought of putting up ratlines on the boat is to add the ability for pull-ups and leg lifts on board.
Old 02-12-2020, 19:18   #19

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks. I was hoping to get your input since I knew you (and Judy) worked out and were near my age.

With me though, I have to put in a 40 hour week and be totally alert and not worn down so I'm trying to find a happy medium.

My old workout which was a Wednesday lunch time 3 mile run, pull ups, push ups and stretching before hand is tearing me down.

I shower afterward with a 2 liter bottle of water, have some tangy orange Endurox R4 then go back to work......
Back when we were working we did the workouts before going to work. A little shorter (35-45 mins, and a shower) before 9:00am. It is not hard to hit a gym at 7:00, spend and hour for the workout and a shower, and still get to work by 09:00. Of course Brekkie is a problem, but swing by Starbucks for a coffee and a muffin and you're good to go.

Did I tell you about the time I fell asleep running on the treadmill and got shot out the back and scared everyone in the gym, "Hey look that old man just had a heart attack!"
Old 02-12-2020, 19:34   #20

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

[QUOTE=thomm225;3287500...I have to put in a 40 hour week and be totally alert and not worn down so I'm trying to find a happy medium...[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. Today we had a race and I didn't want to be too sleepy so I reduced my workout a little and had a small breakfast, and amazingly, I was not sleepy at 1:00PM when I needed to be getting the boat ready.

We sailed three laps which means three jib hoists, three spinnaker sets, three takedowns, and about 5 spinnaker jibes, in two hours, and I am talking the whole crew through the whole thing, and that is after 30 minutes of pre-sail walkthroughs. I went below three times and packed three kites, and helped fold the jib after the race. I'm glad I have a good alternate helms man.

It is terrific how much energy you can get from a moderate workout
Old 03-12-2020, 03:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I consulted an expert and got an explanation of the four systems that need to be exercised: muscular, cardio, balance, and the one that means you know where your appendages are without looking (don't remember what it's called).
"Proprioception"

Anyone try the 7-minute workout? (If you google it, you will find lots of YouTube videos). Basically a high-intensity workout using body weight.

My sister swears by it and does it twice/day. Because I've gotten out of shape during Covid, I'm slowly getting back to my daily cycling routine; once I've built back up somewhat, I'm going to add it.

Fair winds, All,
LittleWing77
Old 03-12-2020, 07:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I know what you mean. Today we had a race and I didn't want to be too sleepy so I reduced my workout a little and had a small breakfast, and amazingly, I was not sleepy at 1:00PM when I needed to be getting the boat ready.

We sailed three laps which means three jib hoists, three spinnaker sets, three takedowns, and about 5 spinnaker jibes, in two hours, and I am talking the whole crew through the whole thing, and that is after 30 minutes of pre-sail walkthroughs. I went below three times and packed three kites, and helped fold the jib after the race. I'm glad I have a good alternate helms man.

It is terrific how much energy you can get from a moderate workout
Yeah, that racing on a big boat with all that going on sounds like a lot. Plus the pressure of competition.

It's good that you two are still at it.

As far as my weight workouts go, we have a gym down the hall that I can used after the young folks are out of the building which is usually by 3pm.

I'd rather workout in the morning around 10 am but can't do that so I fit it in where I can.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:12   #23
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
"Proprioception"

Anyone try the 7-minute workout? (If you google it, you will find lots of YouTube videos). Basically a high-intensity workout using body weight.

My sister swears by it and does it twice/day. Because I've gotten out of shape during Covid, I'm slowly getting back to my daily cycling routine; once I've built back up somewhat, I'm going to add it.

Fair winds, All,
LittleWing77
While any exercise is good, these promote more hypertrophy and less cardiovascular. As a general rule you need to be within your 60-80% target heart range for 30 min minimum in order to gain any real aerobic benefits. Doing higher intensity anaerobic activity does not burn fat or promote cardiovascular health. Anaerobic activities utilize adenosine triphosohate/creatine phosphate stores and glucose for ‘fuel’, does not require oxygen and gives you that burning sensation in your muscles as lactic acid byproduct builds in the tissue. Aerobic utilizes fat and oxygen. When the transition occurs depends on the person. Someone out of shape with a low oxygen uptake may take 15-30 min to transition into aerobic phase while a marathon runner may take only a few minutes. Full body circuit training for 30+ minutes helps promote aerobic transition throughout the body by keeping you in your target heart range while working all major muscle groups, this promotes aerobic transition in all major muscle groups rather than just one (runners for example: leg muscles=fast transitions, arms=slow transition) Another benefit of circuits is the lack of single exercise fatigue, running for 45min puts strain on joints where circuits spread it out over the entire body while maintaining target heart rate. So while a high intensity 7min workout will promote the growth of muscle which I turn will increase your basal metabolic rate fat burning will take a back seat in that regime in turn taking longer to achieve their goals. Another big factor is routine change. Ensure you are changing all exercises and methods every few months to avoid plateauing. The human body likes to be efficient at all things and after a few months of doing an exercise it will go through the motion while expending the least amount of energy (self preservation). At that point you stop building muscle and fuel consumption is bare minimum to get the job done.
Old 24-12-2020, 03:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccod View Post
I am a cardio fan. I hate the weight room though I know it's a necessary evil. I'd much rather run or do the elliptical than weight train. Weights are just boring, and if my heart is not pumping and I am not drenched in sweat, I don't feel like I got a good enough workout. I know I can get there with weights, but I just don't enjoy it as much..
I know the feeling.

I've done two decent weight workouts since I started this thread. The rest have been aerobic. (running, cycling, walking/hiking) Plus every time I tried to use the weight room last week someone was in there

I used to do weights all the time in the 70's- 2002 but the running and cycling started to increase in the mid 80's and even more so after I quit smoking in the early 90's.

For the last two days, it's been cycling on the road and through the woods trails on my old trek 10 speed.

I feel good after a good sweat also during an aerobic workout but since the temps were in the 40's and low 50's (in the Sun), there wasn't a lot of sweating after an hour but did have a good workout.

It was nice though getting back and quickly throwing the bike etc into my Jeep and getting in to warm up.

Half the workout is getting changed with all the different clothes since my office doesn't have heat either except one plug in electric heater.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanta View Post
For my own goals, weight training is much more effective. So, I prefer weight training to cardio. I TRY to get 3 days of cardio in a week (not more than 30 minutes per day) but I have a toddler and I always choose to do a weight session and skip the cardio. I have seen a tremendous difference in my body since I started lifting weights. I will never go back to doing only cardio. Cardio kept me thin but it did not keep my body tight and firm.
Yeah you have to do the weights if you are thin.

That's where I started, but the strange thing I found out at 19 years old was just by working my body hard it would gain weight. I gained 15 pounds in 3 months of boot camp (marines) then 15 lbs. more after it ended taking me from 140 to 170 at 6' tall.

Then staying in that area until I was 40 then I hit the weights hard and got up to 182 lbs. then started running 3 - 5 miles twice/week.

This while I was racing beach cats on the weekends.

After I got tired of racing sailboats I switched to cycling and got up to 150 miles or more per week riding two days after work 25 -30 miles and the riding with the bike racers and triathletes on the weekends. Usually doing a 50-70 mile hard ride in peloton style for most of it.

My weight then went down to 174.

Right now I'm doing both Cardio long walks with a pack 3 miles, jogging 2-3 miles or so and weights plus sailing in season. I'm maybe 7 lbs over weight though at 191 lbs now but will lose that soon.

I had to stop working out for a few months though to concentrate on getting a computer tech certification for work to keep my job. (learning a 900 page book and passing two exams) I found that since I was mid 60's that I was too worn out to study hard say if I ran/jogged 3 miles then tried to study.
Closed Thread

Tags
work