Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 12:18   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Wealth ! . . . How Yacht Owners Are Perceived

what wealth....what yacht....i have a sailboat. thank gods is large enough to go some where in and also be my home. i do not need space out of water--careening is fun, as long as ye keep her upright.....

cant be a yacht--not only is it not shiney but it also doesnt have a helo....not even a toy one.....
is DEFINITELY what your country will do to you........and your bank account.... and your personal....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 13:07   #92

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
I think it would be fair to say that most boat owners have made other sacrifices in their consumption patterns in order to allow for the costs of boat ownership. I see a growing willingness in the US to demonize those who seem to have more than others without any regard to HOW they managed it or what sacrifices were made.
Mike
Exactly!

I usually read it all before comment but only made it this far.

We didn't go to movies, on flying vacations, or buy new cars (I have paid cash for every one of mine) etc. etc. I now have more money than those in the same profession and many "at work" know I have a boat - and took a month off. I am looked at askance regularly now.

They just don't know how to save. Too bad for them as we all made the same money for the last 25 years. (except for the last five - I started a business).

I remember weekend canoe trips where I borrowed or rented the canoe. I looked at those 17' Grummans with awe and envy knowing it would be forever at $2.50/hr before I could ever get one.

Sometimes it embarasses me a little but then I am the one that worked 50 to 60 hrs a week for 20 years and over 340 days a year for the last 5.
Old 21-08-2011, 14:47   #93

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
I would never go into a hardware store anywhere in the world and say "I need to buy a bolt for my yacht".

I went looking for one for my "boat". They had it in the right size. No one else had it around my area. It was plain steel of some kind. I went to WM for the right steel. Did it cost more - Duh.
Old 21-08-2011, 22:41   #94

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Were more or less liveaboards in a marina that your not suspost to be living aboard full time so we say we recreate lots.

To us we think folks that afford a yacht and pay moorage for full time slip and only go out 2 weekends a year just to say "I own a yacht" in the bars and belong to a 'dress up social yacht club' are the folks people first think of when they think of as Wealthy Yachters, unless those same folks can't afford the gas for there twin 454 v8's ( or bigger ) and come to the marina and set in there boats in there covered moorage where it's legal to booze it up and cool out of the sun.

Here on the river almost every one that wants to be on or in the water is already having a blast and wealth has nothing to do with it, But that's my point of view as a small yacht owner

Tags
yacht