Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 09:30   #1

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Veterans Day Greetings to all Vets

Yesterday was the birthday of the USMC, my alma mater, born 234 years ago at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia on Nov. 10, 1775. I'd like to take this opportunity to give a shout out for all us Vets who've seen combat and lived to tell the tale (tho' most don't) and especially to those who didn't make it.

I'd also like to say, I've learned a few things about the way this country uses its military, and find myself in agreement with the former Commandant of the Marine Corps, Maj.Gen. Smedley Butler, the most decorated Marine in history. They don't teach this in schools so you have to learn it through experience.

Quote:
“War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
Smedley Darlington Butler (July 30, 1881 – June 21, 1940), nicknamed "The Fighting Quaker" and "Old Gimlet Eye", was a Major General in the U.S. Marine Corps and, at the time of his death, the most decorated Marine in U.S. history.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28   #2

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Happy Veterans' Day, Speakeasy. Up here and in many parts of the world, today is Remembrance Day - has much the same meaning, but it's the anniversary of the Armistice. War to end all wars - if only that were true. I think, as the number of Vet's from WWI and II declined, the meaning of Remembrance Day was disappearing from the collective conscience. With our current conflict, I think it has come to be more meaningful. Here's a link to a powerpoint montage - the music is a bit cheesy, but the images have quite an impact: http://www.hdiron.com/ADifferentView.pps

Lest we forget.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:38   #3

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Thanks for your post Speakeasy... Thank you to all the vets and to my two sons, between them they have been in Iraq and Afganistan 5 times. Thanks to all who serve....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:49   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Thanks to all for the well wishes and to you Speakeasy and all others who have served. While a Navy Chief I got to go to a Marine Corps Birthday Celebration Ball in Stuttgart, Germany. A truly wonderful experience. I do appreciate the Marine Corps and all the other services including non U. S. just as much as I appreciate the U. S. Navy and its mission.
Kindest regards,
Old 11-11-2009, 13:50   #5

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Thanks, Gents. Just one other thought, not to be maudlin about it, but though this is a normally upbeat and genial gathering there are times to be serious as well. Not all the soldiers and sailors that didn't make it are among the many dead, there are an amazing number living on the streets, in the mountains, in jail and those others living normal lives minimized by their experiences in war. They, of course, should be cared for by the government and people who sent them through the emotional meat grinder.

But further, IMHO, it would be a big step forward for our country and it's security, if we managed to reign in the impulse in our leadership to send more young bright souls into harms way to achieve an economic goal for large corporate interests in the future. The cost is high for the young warriors, who go, and do and see things that make a normal productive and imaginative life quite difficult or impossible thereafter. But, I think, the cost is even larger in scale for our or any nation in the loss of talent & brians, social cohesion and cultural continuity.

The oil is running out so we best just get on designing and building the already available alternative energy sources into viable grids for delivery. Then we can sell it to the rest of the world. I feel sure that is a much better way toward the future.

If you need it, take it MODS.
Old 11-11-2009, 13:54   #6

Boat: Ohlson 38
I want to thank all veterans for your service. Hang in there guys, I'm praying for you.
And now I'm going to get my free dinner at Applebees rest. provided to anyone who can provide proof of service. Yahhooooo! I love free meals!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
veterans war