Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2019, 14:34   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB
Re: Update on Ridd Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
You deniers are gloating about minutia, while conveniently ignoring the elephants and gorillas in the room:

Satellite confirms key NASA temperature data: The planet is warming — and fast

Sigh! Yet another totally off topic alarmist post by the person who never posts about boats or cruising on CF.

Do you actually have any interest in cruising subjects or are you just another CAGW shill polluting forums?

Do you have or have you ever been on a boat?

Old 18-04-2019, 16:02   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Sigh! Yet another totally off topic alarmist post by the person who never posts about boats or cruising on CF.

Do you actually have any interest in cruising subjects or are you just another CAGW shill polluting forums?

Sigh! Yet another deflection by a person who is aligning themselves with the incorrect side of history.

Old 18-04-2019, 16:18   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Sigh! Yet another deflection by a person who is aligning themselves with the incorrect side of history.

Can you pm me next week's lottery numbers?

FWIW, Ridd doesn't deny global warming. He opposes the what he sees as alarmist conclusions to the health of the GBR corals. Ridd has stated a number of noteworthy assessments, based upon his knowledge in regard to corals in general (to paraphrase):

1. Corals will be one of the least likely of sea critters affected by warming oceans due to it's overall resilience and ability modify it's symbiotic relationships in the face of changing conditions.
2. Corals will benefit from warming oceans. His most simplistic example is the fact there is far more coral at the equator and tropics than below it.

One of the factors related to his recent court case win is that he is a preeminent expert in his field which was judged to hold considerable weight in the validity of his criticisms of alarmist research in this area.
Old 18-04-2019, 16:32   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Fair question...

Quote:
From this answer we can reasonably deduce the answer is...........NO

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 18-04-2019, 16:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I'll take that as No, Yes, No, No
Old 18-04-2019, 18:33   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

The historical parallel is the Roman churches support for the earth centric solar system orthodoxies as proposed by ancient Greek philosophers. Then Galilao came along and proposed a solar centric model. The church almost made him a victim of the very nasty Inquisition and thereby forced him to recant. Science then proceeded to prove the solar centric model however the catholic church did not remove his work from their proscribed list of publications until a couple of decades ago.

The AGW/CC church cannot put Ridd on the rack or perform other physical tortures upon him but it appears that they will do everything modern society will allow in order to achieve the same ends.
Old 19-04-2019, 01:22   #22
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
I'll take that as No, Yes, No, No
Maybe.......But NO
Old 19-04-2019, 03:32   #23

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
You obviously didn't bother to follow the link, presumably because of your bias against the site hosting it.

It IS the actual full finding by the court. First page of the 79 page linked document attached.

WUWT is the only place I have found that has made the full finding available (I wonder why no alarmist sites seems to have seen fit to do do). If you can find another link to it from a more "acceptable to you" site, please post it.
You're absolutely right. I did not, and will not, click on wuwt again, because by doing so I contribute to their brand of fear-mongering.

There's no reason for this to be promoted as anything beyond what it is; a blatant attempt of supposed victimhood in support of an extremely short-term profit-oriented goal by a heavily-vested special interest.

If you've not read nor kept up with this farrago, then you have an excuse. If you have, and you still support Ridd, then may god help you. By the way, I remember the first--altercation--we had on these issues, where a bogus graph was presented as support of an, at minimum, flawed interpretation

Until now, sadly, I'd noticed a reticence towards these extremist views...I'm certainly curious as to what precipitated the change?
Old 19-04-2019, 03:35   #24

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
You're absolutely right. I did not, and will not, click on wuwt again, because by doing so I contribute to their brand of fear-mongering.
And yet other brands of fear-mongering are OK? Pot meet kettle....
Old 19-04-2019, 05:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Fair question...
Irrelevant question.
Quote:

From this answer we can reasonably deduce the answer is...........NO
Some friendly advice for you, my friend. You would do well to avoid making the same boring logical fallacy that your mates are making. Why don't you branch out, be adventurous, and make your very own logical fallacy?
Old 19-04-2019, 06:28   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Irrelevant question.

Some friendly advice for you, my friend. You would do well to avoid making the same logical fallacy that your mates are making. Why don't you branch out, be adventurous, and make your very own logical fallacy?

No logical fallacy present, just positing a hypothesis based on all available evidence.
It would be simple for someone to disprove the hypothesis (unlike the CAGW hypothesis), but to date no such evidence has been adduced.
Old 19-04-2019, 08:31   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
And this is how you lose your argument! When you have no other recourse than to play the "incorrect side of history" card, you put yourself in the same boat as those that play the race/Nazi/homophobic cards. Snap out of it, man! Think for yourself for once, don't blindly follow the group-think. That does not mean you have to agree with any side in particular, but when you do disagree with someone, be prepared to back up your position with more than trite statements like that.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 19-04-2019, 08:44   #28

Quote:

See the attachment. 7 threads started on climate change, six closed (7th is new...give it time). Lots of gaslighting/inflammatory psychological pseudoscience jargon (including in the signature line). Employed shill vs 'enthusiast' who knows.

I agree that global warming is real, that humans contribute to it....but no idea what the motivation is for someone else to call me a denier while they simultaneously denigrating the rule of law. What would cause a person to do this??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	start.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	190305  
Old 19-04-2019, 14:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
See the attachment. 7 threads started on climate change, six closed (7th is new...give it time). Lots of gaslighting/inflammatory psychological pseudoscience jargon (including in the signature line). Employed shill vs 'enthusiast' who knows.

More telling is scrolling through the nearly 500 thread titles of the posts you get when you select "Find all posts by..."
Old 20-04-2019, 17:27   #30

I had a really proud dad moment yesterday. Took my two and a half year old to see my mother in law who he doesn’t see very regularly. Grandma showed munchkin a pillow with an embroidered butterfly on and asked the question ‘do you know what this is’? To which he replied ‘it’s a monarch butterfly grandma’

Although I have a strained relationship with the in-law she said something as a mother of 4 and person who has worked in child services for over 40 years and seen some of the worst things humans are capable of that stuck with me. She said ‘your job as a parent is to teach your kid how to think, not what to think’.

Today was a rare sunny Easter saturday in England so spent the day gardening. Munchkin failed to grasp the concept of weeding and proceeded to pick all the chamelia flowers while my back was turned, not the dandelions we’d discussed. While reiteration this point I became acutely aware that there were literally 100’s of bees and insects on the dandelions and not a single insect on my wife’s prized flowers. Guess it’s all relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
FWIW, Ridd doesn't deny global warming. He opposes the what he sees as alarmist conclusions to the health of the GBR corals. Ridd has stated a number of noteworthy assessments, based upon his knowledge in regard to corals in general (to paraphrase)
So why do you value his expert opinion over all the other expert opinions. Isn’t the phrase ‘corals in general’ a bit of a give away? Chop down all the plants in the amazon rainforest and I’ll bet that plant will grow back. I’ll guarantee it won’t look or function anything like a rain forest but thats essentially what you/ he’s saying. He’s simplified a massively complex subject geared towards an audience not knowledgeable enough to question his findings. Just Follow... his credentialed viewpoint! Feel free to link the noteworthy assessments. From what I’ve seen they’re all selectively cherry picked studies taken out of context. Not to say their not individually valid, they just don’t point towards a general ‘reef will be just fine’ conclusion.

Quote:
1. Corals will be one of the least likely of sea critters affected by warming oceans due to it's overall resilience and ability modify it's symbiotic relationships in the face of changing conditions.
Again, this varies massively between different species of corals AND different species of zooxanthellae. Yes some will adapt, most wont beyond a point. I don’t think Ridd or anyone else is arguing that things won’t change, it’s what this change will look like and the consequences

Quote:
2. Corals will benefit from warming oceans. His most simplistic example is the fact there is far more coral at the equator and tropics than below it
Do you think he’s implying corals will grow better in warmer water or become globally more widespread? Ridd cited a graph (posted in another thread) showing calcification vs temperature in porites, where the data values stop at errr 27 degrees. Here’s temp/growth data for 2 different species. They stop growing at around 28 degrees.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD010C1A-F0A6-46DD-B948-878C33D12275.png
Views:	40
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	190508

Or maybe the GBR will just migrate south to find more favourable conditions???

Don’t overlook the role of sunlight intensity and hours throughout the day and seasons within the equator and tropical regions. After all light (and other factors is arguably just as important as temperature when photosynthesis is concerned right?

Quote:
One of the factors related to his recent court case win is that he is a preeminent expert in his field which was judged to hold considerable weight in the validity of his criticisms of alarmist research in this area.
He was being judged in court by a legal ‘expert’ not a coral reef expert. He wasn’t sacked for what he was saying but how he was saying it right?

Closed Thread