Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18   #1

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Upcoming surgery will cramp my style

I just found out yesterday that I need surgery to fix a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. I'm not freaked out by the surgery as I have had a few to fix things broken in accidents. But I am freaked by not being able to even get on my boat for a few weeks and then for a few months I can't do much work on it let alone sail. So I am rushing to get a few projects done so I can at least get some of the boat put back together. It's actually a bigger problem than that though as I won't even be able to dress my self for a while. I'm trying to imagine what that will be like.

But no way could I do any sailing with the torn cuff as any sudden strenuous yank on the arm could tear it completely. Yikes! Don't want to go there. It makes you realize how important health and physical capability is to sailing.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:30   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Upcoming surgery will cramp my style

Ha,been there. Busted mine working on my boat !! Then had to bring boat up the Jersey shore,Hudson river and Champlain canal. I could not have done a pushup for $1,000,000. Recovery from surgery is somewhat slow and painful but it is now 100%, maybe even better than the 'good' one. Good Luck.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:35   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
It's actually a bigger problem than that though as I won't even be able to dress my self for a while.
Well that should work out well for being on the boat
Old 09-02-2016, 08:38   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
I just found out yesterday that I need surgery to fix a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. I'm not freaked out by the surgery as I have had a few to fix things broken in accidents. But I am freaked by not being able to even get on my boat for a few weeks and then for a few months I can't do much work on it let alone sail. So I am rushing to get a few projects done so I can at least get some of the boat put back together. It's actually a bigger problem than that though as I won't even be able to dress my self for a while. I'm trying to imagine what that will be like.

But no way could I do any sailing with the torn cuff as any sudden strenuous yank on the arm could tear it completely. Yikes! Don't want to go there. It makes you realize how important health and physical capability is to sailing.

Rotator cufffs aren't too bad. Had both of mine done (way too much heavy grinding overhead). Speedy recovery, grinding again in no time. But I had a torn meniscus & ACL done on my right knee last summer, and it's still awful. Take it easy on yourself if possible!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:17   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I hope the surgery and the recovery go well for you. Take your doctor's advice about recovery and don't push yourself too quickly. Do you have someone to help you with basics like dressing, cleaning and cooking for the first few days? Will you have physical therapy after to help restore movement and strength?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

To the younger sailors among us-- a word of wisdom: Do it now! Good luck on your operation and recovery.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:57   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

ExMaggie,

Best wishes for a successful procedure and speedy recovery.

Cheers!

Bill

SV Denali Rose
Old 09-02-2016, 10:11   #8

All the best on a successful surgery and recovery.

I broke my leg skiing in 2009. Spent three months recovering, figuring out how to get back on the boat with crutches!!! Figuring it out was the best part of the down time.

Last year I won a local two day three race series and am the only skipper I know of with our boat who has ever won a one design race series singlehanded.

You'll be there in no time.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:51   #9

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I feel your pain. My boat's in a million pieces at the moment, and an unexpected medical condition cropped up late last year that is keeping my wings clipped for at least the next 6 months, if not the next year. Best you can do is plug away (slowly!) at the stuff that lies within your capabilities. Oh, and hope for one of those reality show renovation teams to surprise you by turning up at the boat!

Good health is certainly one of those things many people take for granted until they no longer have it.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:04   #10

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, and for sharing similar issues. Happens to the best of us.

I have the Admiral to help with the clothes and chores. We are both dreading it LOL. I'll be cranky because I can't do some simple things and she'll be cranky because her work load just got bigger, and, she has to deal with my crankiness. No worries though, we have been through this before and we have each other's back. Good crew to sail with!

My surgery is out patient and arthroscopic so small holes in both sides of the joint (I think). In and out in 3 hours or so.

Muchas gracias
Joe
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:14   #11

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Joe, the fun part is if you are right handed and the shoulder surgery is the right one....well, daintly put...it can be interesting to learn how to wipe the bum with the left one...don't mean to be cheeky....he he
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:17   #12

Having had a few surgeries on various
joints my serious advice is to
Start Physical Therapy
BEFORE your surgery
A little bit of extra conditioning
going in makes coming out much
Easier and Faster
Good luck
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:24   #13

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

If they give you a pile of opiate painkillers,try to not use them,just aspirin.!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 14:15   #14

Quote:
Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, and for sharing similar issues. Happens to the best of us.

I have the Admiral to help with the clothes and chores. We are both dreading it LOL. I'll be cranky because I can't do some simple things and she'll be cranky because her work load just got bigger, and, she has to deal with my crankiness. No worries though, we have been through this before and we have each other's back. Good crew to sail with!

My surgery is out patient and arthroscopic so small holes in both sides of the joint (I think). In and out in 3 hours or so.

Muchas gracias
Joe

I just saw the doctor for the f/u on my rotator cuff surgery and other than the bad news of what he couldn't fix - I left it too long- in 6 weeks I'll be able to take my arm out of the sling.

The advice I've had is to follow all the rehab instructions, buy it is still a long process.

Good Luck
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:06   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Good luck with the surgery -- and a couple of thoughts as I have had surgery on both shoulders and it is more painful than maybe having a baby (I will hear about that one from the ladies)

First was my right shoulder that they went in for a torn rotator and found something much worse - ended up with 2 screws and a shaved collar bone and shoulder blade. I did not sail at the time but did recover and got most of it back with a lot of pt

Second - in November 2015 we were in our winter home in Tunisia and I was changing out anchor chain and did a dead pull of the anchor and chain with my left hand while leaning over the railing holding on with my right hand - ripped my tendon in my left shoulder apart. And I do mean tore it in half. Had surgery in Tunisia and 2 screws put in to hold it together. Had it strapped to my chest for 45 days and everything got stiff. A lot of pt and in May we set sail. It is not as flexible as I would like but it works and we sailed over 1,800nm with 40 ports of call last year so I guess it works ok.

We are hauling out this year and I am going to have to hire someone to sand as I physically can not do it in a timely manner.

OH a few tips - if you have a recliner that is where you will want to sleep. On my right shoulder I slept for about 2 weeks in a recliner as there was some support for the arm. In the boat I slept sitting up in the settee with pillows under the elbow for support.

By the way I am 70 years old and recovering does take a bit longer at this age.

Good luck with it
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ramp