Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:03   #31

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbendaly View Post
no such thing as bug foggers here in lebanon
there are though mosquito repellents , a green coil intended to be lit at one end then put out and left to smoke... will it help ??
- - No, bug bombs are pressurized cans like paint spray cans but the nozzle points straight up and to activate you depress the nozzle and it locks open. Then you run for the doorway. There is an alternative "bug bomb" called a fumigator. It is a can like a "sterno" can that you open the lid and use a match to light the stuff inside. As it burns inside the can, it releases a cloud of bug killer fumes. Both systems require intelligent placement of the devices to avoid the release of the contents directly into a ceiling/overhead/bulkhead and something underneath to catch the sputtering as the device reaches empty. The fire/burning fumigator needs something fireproof like a piece of stone or slate underneath to protect against accidental fire should the unit tip over - which is extremely unlikely, but better safe than sorry
- - Also you could have a local "exterminator" company come to the boat and they have large hoses from the truck to blast the killer fog into the boat. You normally seal all portholes, hatches and other vents on the boat and then they "fumigate" the boat.
- - My suggestion is a 2 for 1 solution. Kill the rat - he will probably be found dead inside the cabin rather than bilge as he will be trying to escape. And also to rid the boat of roaches, ants, insects and all other manor of crawly creatures at the same time.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:27   #32

Boat: Trawler
Rats?????

Wait until you get a cockroach infestation.

One time I walk into the head and here was this rat backed off into a corner, shaking. That seemed strange until I looked up under the sink where the rat was staring, and here was this huge cockroach sitting on the drain pipe with a straight edge razor.
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 15:20   #33

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I used to get field mice in my ground floor apartment every fall because I used the patio door as my main entrance. So at some point they would get in and live behind my book cases or under the shelving in the kitchen. One nite I was sitting watching TV when i glanced up and there was one sitting on my desk, seemingly watching TV with me. the flickering lights had his attention til I moved. So I ended up putting some cheese on the desk and waited with my .22 air pistol. End of mouse problem. I tried poisons before, but the buggers died in inaccessable places. Very difficult to find and remove. This way is a bit messy but very effective. Just move slooooowly.

Sabre
86 days n a wake up.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 15:26   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The rats I have around my house always manage to evade the traps...even with peanut butter on the triggers. Smart little buggers.

The only thing that I have found to be effective is to use those green cubes of rat poison. I get mine at Home Depot. They have a hole in the middle that I run a piece of light weight wire through which I wire to something else, so they cant carry them off. The reason I wire it in place is so the dog does not get a hold of it, or anyone else's dog for that matter. Rats like to climb everywhere so placing them up high works, where the dog cant get to it. With the wire, I can also monitor which baits have or have not been eaten.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote