Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 04:15   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Tropical Storm Sally

Tropical Storm Sally approaches near Destin, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tropical Storm.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	223386  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:00   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Tropical Storm Sally

That's impressive. Why are people still on the beach
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Why are people still on the beach?
Can't fix stupid.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:27   #4

Quote:
That's impressive. Why are people still on the beach
Every time we have a hurricane, you are guaranteed to see surfers out riding the only good waves we ever get here!
Old 14-09-2020, 05:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

That is going to land this side of the pond in about 2 weeks, just as I take a week off to go sailing

The US needs to do something about polluting the N Atlantic with all these storms, it's just not acceptable.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:32   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Can't fix stupid.

LittleWing77

Those big fronts make some of the best beach and surfing weather.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 05:47   #7

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Can't fix stupid.

LittleWing77 [emoji3]
The storm is forecast to turn towards land another 200 miles west, unless something drastic has changed since midnight.
However I resemble that remark!! In a previous life in the center of a Cat1 the news showed a live map and track and I realized the eye was imminent. I proceeded outside, in boots, a duster and a cowboy hat (nothing else) and experienced the unbridled power of mother nature. The fury of the storm, especially the leading and trailing eyewalls was amazing, and the absolute silence in the eye itself was deafening. Stupid, yes, but an experience one will never forget.
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 06:40   #8

Many times when you see like colored lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach they are from a hotel right off the beach.

So, many of those folks may be able to just grab their stuff and walk up to their hotel or the beach bar at the hotel and watch the storm come in.
Old 14-09-2020, 06:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
The storm is forecast to turn towards land another 200 miles west, unless something drastic has changed since midnight.
However I resemble that remark!! In a previous life in the center of a Cat1 the news showed a live map and track and I realized the eye was imminent. I proceeded outside, in boots, a duster and a cowboy hat (nothing else) and experienced the unbridled power of mother nature. The fury of the storm, especially the leading and trailing eyewalls was amazing, and the absolute silence in the eye itself was deafening. Stupid, yes, but an experience one will never forget.
When I was in Pensacola, Cat 1 hurricanes were usually turned into party times since work would be closed, power was out, and those of us (mostly sailors) at my apartment on the beach/bayou would usually meet on the first floor breeze way, drink beer most of the day, and watch the boats that were anchored in the hurricane hole some called our bayou.

Problem was though there was a low bridge just to leeward of the anchored sailboats and usually during each storm one or two of the boats would drag anchor and end up slamming their mast against the bridge until the mast finally came down and the boat would be "flushed" under the bridge.

Usually there was some old salt there that had been out helping folks anchor properly. He would give us his idea on what boats he had seen that were anchored as if only for a lunch break or a short time fishing in a spot

This was in the 1990's before we started getting the big storms one of which put our party spot under 8' of water. (Cat 3/4 Hurricane Ivan Sept 2004) and all but one boat in the hurricane hole was destroyed during that storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Landing.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	223389  
Old 14-09-2020, 06:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

we have surfers here that think the same thing....but the seas from an approaching hurricane are so big, confused and rough and so completely unsurfable as to be a joke...but that doesn't stop them from trying....if they can even make it out beyond 50'.

....you get bragging status ..."oh yeah, you should have seen me surfing those hurricane Irma waves".....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:01   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
That is going to land this side of the pond in about 2 weeks, just as I take a week off to go sailing

The US needs to do something about polluting the N Atlantic with all these storms, it's just not acceptable.

Pete
Well you had better batten down the hatches, there are currently seven systems in the Atlantic. Fortunately only four or five have a chance of heading your way.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
When I was in Pensacola, Cat 1 hurricanes were usually turned into party times since work would be closed, power was out, and those of us (mostly sailors) at my apartment on the beach/bayou would usually meet on the first floor breeze way, drink beer most of the day, and watch the boats that were anchored in the hurricane hole some called our bayou.

Problem was though there was a low bridge just to leeward of the anchored sailboats and usually during each storm one or two of the boats would drag anchor and end up slamming their mast against the bridge until the mast finally came down and the boat would be "flushed" under the bridge.

Usually there was some old salt there that had been out helping folks anchor properly. He would give us his idea on what boats he had seen that were anchored as if only for a lunch break or a short time fishing in a spot

This was in the 1990's before we started getting the big storms one of which put our party spot under 8' of water. (Cat 3/4 Hurricane Ivan Sept 2004) and all but one boat in the hurricane hole was destroyed during that storm.
When Frederick (Cat4, 1979) came through, (Were you *Ready for Freddy? LOL) after the storm Florida changed all building codes. Our home could no longer be insured. New home built to new code. Ivan came along and took the concrete and brick garage 2 streets over and deposited it in a canal. Ivan destroyed many lives, Florida courts ruled insurance didn't have to pay out on policies. ::still bitter:: :'(
Old 14-09-2020, 07:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
When Frederick (Cat4, 1979) came through, (Were you *Ready for Freddy? LOL) after the storm Florida changed all building codes. Our home could no longer be insured. New home built to new code. Ivan came along and took the concrete and brick garage 2 streets over and deposited it in a canal. Ivan destroyed many lives, Florida courts ruled insurance didn't have to pay out on policies. ::still bitter:: :'(
Apparently in Florida many roofs were not attached at all to the house structure, nothing but gravity to hold them on. Works OK until there's a big wind. After Freddy I had to go in my attic and take photos of the rafters to show mine were attached to the walls with metal plates to keep my insurance.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 07:20   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well you had better batten down the hatches, there are currently seven systems in the Atlantic. Fortunately only four or five have a chance of heading your way.

GFS 10 day models showing nothing makes it to the east coast. hoping things slow down in October
as they usually do
Old 14-09-2020, 07:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Apparently in Florida many roofs were not attached at all to the house structure, nothing but gravity to hold them on. Works OK until there's a big wind. After Freddy I had to go in my attic and take photos of the rafters to show mine were attached to the walls with metal plates to keep my insurance.
That I was not aware of, due to storm surge, the home (no damage from Freddy whatsoever) was too low to be insured. There was one room 3/4 underground and that violated code. We had to rebuild with a min 4ft clearance from the ground to 1st floor level on the water side. (Approximately 6ft above extreme high tide under normal conditions - roughly an 8ft storm surge)
Market value before Ivan was $1.3m. When the courts ruled insurance didn't have to pay out, 1,000's of families were ruined. It was once a very high class area, now it looks like a sardine town. There are three homes packed on lots that used to hold one, and the one had more square ft than the three combined. Makes me want to get off land and never come back.

Tags
cal