Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2023, 15:25   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Time Dilation?

Has anyone ever noticed the time goes by much faster when they live on a boat at anchor?

I have to say that’s one of my only big negatives right now about it.

The seasons, the years. They all go by so much more quickly when you live aboard your boat.

This was true with a partner, this is true by myself.

I guess it’s because the mind adapts to the slower cycle of light/dark, and the day it takes you to get somewhere instead of the quick hour long trip in a vehicle? Or a plane?

Does anyone else experience this? Do you have a theory as to why it feels like this?

I’ve been sitting here for five weeks waiting to get my rigging done and it went by instantaneously. Half the winter is gone.

When I am muddling around in my RV, constantly moving from place to place, having to change locations every evening and morning, I am doing so many things that life seems to go more slowly. Plus the things moving around you make it feel like a lot happened in a week or a day. So it seems like it took longer.

Anyone notice this? Or am I going super crazy out here at anchor which is also one of the side effects? Ha ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 15:48   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Time Dilation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Has anyone ever noticed the time goes by much faster when they live on a boat at anchor?
Really.

Doing nothing sitting at anchor makes the time go by faster?

You should be a salesman for a cruising boat company.

You cannot exercise as in running or cycling.

There is no decent gym.

If you are out of internet range your main entertainment are you books, repairs, swimming, climbing the mast, etc which is why I try never to be at anchor more than a day or two.

And if you aren't getting some sort of exercise you are really hurting your body and most will gain weight
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 16:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Really.

There is no decent gym.

If you are out of internet range your main entertainment are you books, repairs, swimming, climbing the mast, etc which is why I try never to be at anchor more than a day or two.

And if you aren't getting some sort of exercise you are really hurting your body and most will gain weight

Huh?

I seem to be doing OK making posts on the forum. I can watch YouTubes and stream whatever I want.

I also have a treadmill to run on if I am not going ashore to exercise.

I have been reading more books however. That’s been a nice change. Because usually I am too wrapped up with things to take the time to read fiction. I have been reading science-fiction and it’s been a great change of pace.

I’m getting my required 30 mins of cardio in.

Apparently it’s not only time dilation. I apparently I am in a different universe from you. Ha ha.

I have a hard time doing nothing at all unless I’m meditating. Otherwise, I’m always doing something.

Indeed the time does go by faster for me.
Old 25-01-2023, 16:36   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Huh?

I seem to be doing OK making posts on the forum. I can watch YouTubes and stream whatever I want.

I also have a treadmill to run on if I am not going ashore to exercise.

I have been reading more books however. That’s been a nice change. Because usually I am too wrapped up with things to take the time to read fiction. I have been reading science-fiction and it’s been a great change of pace.

I’m getting my required 30 mins of cardio in.

Apparently it’s not only time dilation. I apparently I am in a different universe from you. Ha ha.

I have a hard time doing nothing at all unless I’m meditating. Otherwise, I’m always doing something.

Indeed the time does go by faster for me.
You are definitely in a different universe than I am.

I do all or more than what you describe and also had to recently requalify as a computer tech with the Comptia thing (except I'm a manager now) and make sure all of our techs both hardware and cyber keep all our systems running at a minimum of 95% up time and have the latest antivirus software running etc..

Plus getting my boat ready for Spring and keeping the house in decent shape. (and the apartment)

This is all a big concern for when I retire.

I have ordered a climbing harness and ascender so I guess if things get slow at anchor I can go up the mast a time or two for the view and the exercise.

The thing is I understand you need strenuous exercise daily to stay half way healthy so I'll have to make a plan when on the boat

When you are going on 70 though it makes it tough.

Tomorrow is workout / 3 mile run/jog/walk day and it will be 49-50 degrees but at least the Sun will be out so that means less time running the path in the woods and more in the Sunlight
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 18:14   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I guess I can see how time can go by faster. I've always got a list of things in mind for "next time I'm at anchor with nothing better to do." But then, when I am at anchor, there never seems to be time to do them all.

Also, I don't usually sleep well at anchor. There are always things to worry about; wind shift, current, tidal change, nearby rocks, other anchored boats, etc. Of course these things always go wrong in the middle of the night. I think I sleep with one eye open, looking at the location and track on whatever chart app I have running on my phone. Being tired all day further reduces how much I accomplish. I suppose that could also make the day seem to go by faster.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 05:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Really.

There is no decent gym.

Odd statement from someone who has never cruised. perhaps you'll change your mind if you ever actually cruise.
We bicycle or walk miles for groceries, we swim every day, we work on the boat constantly (we simply enjoy it). We never get any excercise. LOL

PS. I'm 72 and have been living this life since 94' I have no trouble staying in shape ... neither does Sharon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P Wallace dive 4.gif
Views:	142
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	270561   Click image for larger version

Name:	X - Sharon Queen of the World.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	270562  

Old 26-01-2023, 05:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Odd statement from someone who has never cruised. perhaps you'll change your mind if you ever actually cruise.
We bicycle or walk miles for groceries, we swim every day, we work on the boat constantly (we simply enjoy it). We never get any excercise. LOL

PS. I'm 72 and have been living this life since 94' I have no trouble staying in shape ... neither does Sharon
Yeah. Supporting your post, this week I only use my treadmill once. Because every other day I got in more than required cardio riding my bicycle all over the place for different errands. Ha ha

It is pretty hard to get way out of shape doing this. I think it’s possible. Like if you have a car and you live at a marina. But if you are actively cruising and you anchor you don’t have much choice but to stay in shape.
Old 26-01-2023, 05:43   #8

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

google is your friend

Why does time pass so fast when you're happy?

Does time fly when you're having fun?

It certainly seems like it does! Who watches the clock when you're enjoying the company you're with? Nobody! How many times has “the time slipped up on you” at a party, and you're amazed when you realize that the clock is edging towards midnight? ��
=======================================
The passing of time is constant. What is changeable is your awareness of time. The more you are aware of time, the slower it seems to go. When you focus your mind, time will not be noticed and it will seem to have passed very quickly.

Paying close attention, whether while having fun or concentrating on something that is very interesting to you, will make time seem to pass more quickly.
================================
there is even a complicated, long almost readable "scientific paper"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...n%20they%20are.

"Unexpectedly pleasurable events boost dopamine release, which should cause your internal clock to run faster. Your subjective sense of time in that case grows faster than time itself, so that short intervals seem longer than they are."
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 05:46   #9

love those pics

ICW?
Old 26-01-2023, 05:46   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
google is your friend

It certainly seems like it does! Who watches the clock when you're enjoying the company you're with? Nobody! How many times has “the time slipped up on you” at a party, and you're amazed when you realize that the clock is edging towards midnight? ��
The passing of time is constant. What is changeable is your awareness of time. The more you are aware of time, the slower it seems to go. When you focus your mind, time will not be noticed and it will seem to have passed very quickly.

Paying close attention, whether while having fun or concentrating on something that is very interesting to you, will make time seem to pass more quickly.

"Unexpectedly pleasurable events boost dopamine release, which should cause your internal clock to run faster. Your subjective sense of time in that case grows faster than time itself, so that short intervals seem longer than they are."
I agree ! Two weeks ago I was 40yrs. old... thats when I started cruising
Old 26-01-2023, 05:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
love those pics

ICW?
Pic of Sharon is the ICW (Carolinas I think)
Pic of me diving is in the Abacos.
Old 26-01-2023, 05:56   #12

google is your friend

It certainly seems like it does! Who watches the clock when you're enjoying the company you're with? Nobody! How many times has “the time slipped up on you” at a party, and you're amazed when you realize that the clock is edging towards midnight? 💖

Old 26-01-2023, 05:57   #13

Quote:
Pic of Sharon is the ICW (Carolinas I think)
Pic of me diving is in the Abacos.
thanks
Old 26-01-2023, 05:59   #14

Quote:
google is your friend

Well, I’m not 10 and I do have a Masters in Physics, which is why I used the phrase “time dilation.” So I think I’m well aware of the old tale of Einstein talking about how fast time goes with a pretty girl sitting on your lap. Wikipedia not necessary.

It doesn’t SEEM that much different or happy living at anchor. It’s just a different way of living. That’s why it is perplexing to have time go by so much more quickly

But decades absolutely fly by when you are doing it for some reason. I think it’s because you slow down. A gnat is alive for a couple days. A lifetime of experiences in a couple days. So a couple days is an eternity for them.

When on land everything is much faster for us, so a year or a decade is an eternity in the same way. Or at least much longer feeling.

When going slowly at sea, not as much happens. You slow down. You think in terms of how many weeks or months it’ll take to get somewhere. Because you’re going so slowly, a year or a decade flies by in the blink of an eye.

Not the same as your googling produced. Your google of the topic (non-thinking approach) unsurprisingly yielded information from people stuck on “fast” as they all live in typical society

Google is the non- thinking person’s friend when looking at theoretical or philosophical things
Old 26-01-2023, 06:01   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

Agreed. I think I get more incidental exercise on the boat than I do at home by a good margin. When we're traveling on the boat we don't have our cars, so we're far more likely to end up walking to get somewhere, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote