Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2023, 06:01   #16

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Time Dilation?

Lean and Happy

San Blas Panama 1999

sorry,pics sideway,like me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Blas .jpg
Views:	73
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	270564   Click image for larger version

Name:	San Blas1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	270565  

davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:12   #17

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

ooops!

forgot to add a disclaimer
==============================================
FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT DETECT SARCASM AND AN ATTEMPT AT HUMOR... THE ABOVE WAS BOTH.
: thumb:

"If you don't learn to laugh at yourself, you are inviting others to laugh at you"

Eminent and Emeritus co-founder of the OFA (old farts association)and widely known in the neighborhood block I live, sarcastic and proponent of humor as the most healthy aspect of human behavior
Davil 1941... Pending!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:13   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
ooops!

forgot to add a disclaimer
==============================================
FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT DETECT SARCASM AND AN ATTEMPT AT HUMOR... THE ABOVE WAS BOTH.
: thumb:

"If you don't learn to laugh at yourself, you are inviting others to laugh at you"

Eminent and Emeritus co-founder of the OFA (old farts association)and widely known in the neighborhood block I live, sarcastic and proponent of humor as the most healthy aspect of human behavior
Davil 1941... Pending!
Ooof. My bad. Lol.

But still. An interesting discussion
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:21   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Odd statement from someone who has never cruised. perhaps you'll change your mind if you ever actually cruise.
We bicycle or walk miles for groceries, we swim every day, we work on the boat constantly (we simply enjoy it). We never get any excercise. LOL

PS. I'm 72 and have been living this life since 94' I have no trouble staying in shape ... neither does Sharon
I think you are confused.

I "cruise" locally most every weekend during the season so I'm at anchor quite a bit.

At many of those anchoring spots, there is no place to unload a bike much less ride it.

You must be referring to your living at the marina all the time rather than actually anchoring.

I try staying in shape with exercise and sailing but it was easier back in the day and the running and cycling distance were much longer

Plus the boat was a lot harder to handle.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1999-2000.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	270570   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	270571  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:21   #20

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Really.

Doing nothing sitting at anchor makes the time go by faster?

You should be a salesman for a cruising boat company.

You cannot exercise as in running or cycling.

There is no decent gym.

If you are out of internet range your main entertainment are you books, repairs, swimming, climbing the mast, etc which is why I try never to be at anchor more than a day or two.

And if you aren't getting some sort of exercise you are really hurting your body and most will gain weight

Ha, "If you are out of internet range your main entertainment are you books, repairs, swimming, climbing the mast, etc which is why I try never to be at anchor more than a day or two."

That's precisely why I love being at the anchor as much possible.
Funny, different folks different priorities.
Old 26-01-2023, 06:23   #21

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:

I "cruise" locally most every weekend during the season so I'm at anchor quite a bit.

At many of those anchoring spots, there is no place to unload a bike much less ride it.

You must be referring to your living at the marina all the time rather than actually anchoring.

This is why we (all of us) always get in disagreements on the forum.

We can only picture our own experiences on boats and we do not accurately picture the experiences of others.

Here are the ways I get cardio (and stretching) exercise in. I kind of piled them all around the treadmill.

Today, I’ll be using the treadmill right now in about 10 mins. I have Uber/Lyft errands today (getting spinnaker, groceries) so I will not use the bike for these. Too far. But almost all my errands are on the bike typically. I included the running shoes because that’s the preferred way to get exercise. Treadmill is for when I’m stuck at anchor in places like you are describing, Thomm

I’m living at anchor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB0EC661-4AA1-43EC-9E0F-D7B37A12C2D9.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	270572  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Ha, "If you are out of internet range your main entertainment are you books, repairs, swimming, climbing the mast, etc which is why I try never to be at anchor more than a day or two."

That's precisely why I love being at the anchor as much possible.
Funny, different folks different priorities.
Yes it is funny as most here are on the internet quite a bit.

The cruising/anchoring thing is simply a very slow lifestyle compared to the one most of us that are working live.

We have maybe 1 or 2 morning per week where we can start the day slowly the rest is pretty full all the time.

It's all about adjusting to that slower lifestyle which I'm hoping when I'm 70 or so I can adapt to.

After cruising my old monohull here for the last 11 years, I'm starting to adjust somewhat but I still don't stay at anchor long

Left this one by around 7 am or so

Old 26-01-2023, 06:30   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

I try staying in shape with exercise and sailing but it was easier back in the day and the running and cycling distance were much longer

Plus the boat was a lot harder to handle.....
20,000 hrs (in our own boats) and another 4,000hrs on deliveries cruising under power between Lake Superior, Honduras and Antigua since 94'. at anchor usually at least 6 months of the year, sometimes a little more than a year. Does that qualify as "living in a marina" ?

I concede that does not equate to your vast cruising experience.
Old 26-01-2023, 06:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is why we (all of us) always get in disagreements on the forum.

We can only picture our own experiences on boats and we do not accurately picture the experiences of others.

Here are the ways I get cardio (and stretching) exercise in. I kind of piled them all around the treadmill.

Today, I’ll be using the treadmill right now in about 10 mins. I have Uber/Lyft errands today (getting spinnaker, groceries) so I will not use the bike for these. Too far. But almost all my errands are on the bike typically. I included the running shoes because that’s the preferred way to get exercise. Treadmill is for when I’m stuck at anchor in places like you are describing, Thomm

I’m living at anchor.
Living at anchor!?

Good thing you have a big boat.

I wouldn't want to be at anchor too long. So far I think the longest for me has been 2-3 days max

The second video of my old boats dirty interior is what forced me to redo it. Wind had cranked up on the Bay crossing that day so I sailed way up the Severn River off Mobjack Bay for a protected anchorage.

This in 2018 I believe.

Old 26-01-2023, 06:37   #25

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Living at anchor!?

Good thing you have a big boat.

I wouldn't want to be at anchor too long. So far I think the longest for me has been 2-3 days max

Living at anchor depends as much on the places you anchor as it does the boat you're on. And also on the dinghy you have to get to shore. In some places, being at anchor is a bit isolating. In other places there's a town with supplies, stuff to do, etc. right there and easy shore access by dinghy. At that point it's not much different than hopping in your car to go grocery shopping from a house.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 06:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
20,000 hrs (in our own boats) and another 4,000hrs on deliveries cruising under power between Lake Superior, Honduras and Antigua since 94'. at anchor usually at least 6 months of the year, sometimes a little more than a year. Does that qualify as "living in a marina" ?

I concede that does not equate to your vast cruising experience.
Never said I had vast cruising experience.

Like I said I'm hoping that by the time I'm 70 or so I'll be able to deal with the slower lifestyle of a cruiser
Old 26-01-2023, 06:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Living at anchor depends as much on the places you anchor as it does the boat you're on. And also on the dinghy you have to get to shore. In some places, being at anchor is a bit isolating. In other places there's a town with supplies, stuff to do, etc. right there and easy shore access by dinghy. At that point it's not much different than hopping in your car to go grocery shopping from a house.
Yeah on my longer 4-6 day "cruises" I use my kayak to get to shore or the dinghy dock then by groceries or last time there was only a restaurant nearby so I bought a fish dinner and a few beers there.

Problem was they only sold the beer as singles so it got expensive
Old 26-01-2023, 06:45   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Living on the boat...especially at anchor, life....seems to me...revolves between sunup and sundown, which seems to make the day go by quicker. I typically get up with the sunrise.

Some coffee, read a book, putz around doing the odd thing here and there...and...

...before I know it, it's noon, and I've barely done a thing. This is followed by a little diving and fishing (or shopping ashore) and by the time I get back it's 5 pm...

Clean fish, make dinner, a sundowner or two...and it's dark....time to go back to sleep...where did the day go ??
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 07:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Living on the boat...especially at anchor, life....seems to me...revolves between sunup and sundown, which seems to make the day go by quicker. I typically get up with the sunrise.

Some coffee, read a book, putz around doing the odd thing here and there...and...

...before I know it, it's noon, and I've barely done a thing. This is followed by a little diving and fishing (or shopping ashore) and by the time I get back it's 5 pm...

Clean fish, make dinner, a sundowner or two...and it's dark....time to go back to sleep...where did the day go ??
Yeah it's the "putzing around" that some of us aren't real good at.

That being said adding solar to my boat helped first with the "regulator" I had to clamp the voltage at 14.4.

Next it was a few $12 PWM Controllers followed by a couple Victron MPPT's.

Now I have a SmartSolar Victron MPPT 75/15 Bluetooth Controller which is nice.

Next building a chart plotter with Raspberry Pi and bringing in AIS was another help for the Putzing thing

But being at anchor is still sort of slow unless you have weather coming in.....then it can be exciting but I must say I don't like the lightning when onboard

Old 26-01-2023, 07:47   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

When I have a boat to sit on, there's not enough hours in the day to just enjoy sitting on a boat. When I'm visiting relatives (like I am right now), every day seems to have 72 hours in it, and the clocks stop.