Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 01:10   #11161

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: The New Joke Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
....players are dressed in white pants, white shirts and usually a white cap...
Not the cap, the players on the losing side generally wear green ones.

A few years ago we were watching cricket in Antigua and I was surprised to find that there were quite a few Muricans sat near to us; I spent the day answering a whole raft of questions, explaining how/why things were happening and translating the stadium announcers interjections. I like to think that I managed to teach them a lot, so making their day more enjoyable. All went great until around 16:00 when the game was stopped by the second or third rain shower of the day and as the players were returning to the field there was a long announcement regarding the run-target adjustment to be made in accordance with the Duckworth-Lewis Rules; half a dozen quizzical faces immediately turned in my direction...

I did my best and consoled myself with the thought that amongst the thirteen players and two umpires out on the field, there probably weren't above three or four of those who could answer the questions either.
Old 17-06-2020, 01:30   #11162

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I can't see Capt Blacks pics either - Firefox on PC running XP.

Just checked other browser. Can see them on Chrome, so maybe is an FF thing
If I could upload from my laptop harddrive I would be ok with changing the format in Paint, then reuploading, but any more effort than that I can't manage just for the minority that can't see the pics, sorry. If anyone has an effective solution that isn't harder than that I will try it.
Old 17-06-2020, 01:31   #11163

0/10

Old 17-06-2020, 02:01   #11164

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
...Measurements on finished lumber is based on the original rough sawn board before planing and finishing. So an actual 2x4 is cut from a log but before it's sold the rough cut board is planed and sanded smooth leaving a 1 1/2 x 3 1/2.

...as I understand it, in the metric world they have 5x10s (cm). Are those really 5x10 or do they cheat on the metric lumber as well?
UK/Europe do the same, though to add to your confusion, the timbers are specified/ordered in millimetres rather than centimetres so a 4" x 2" would be a 100 x 50mm.

What you describe as 'cheating' also depends on the timber too and is likely the same in both Europe and North America and in theory isn't really cheating:
A 'sawn' softwood or hardwood 4x2/100x50 timber, which you might use in a roof or stud-wall (carpentry) is, subject to a slight cutting tolerances 'full sized'
A 'wrought' softwood timber which you might use in a door frame (joinery) would be around 1/2" or 12mm smaller than the stated size as you need that 1/4"/6mm on each face to plane the timber smooth/square.
Whilst a 'wrought' hardwood timber should only be around 1/4"/6mm smaller as that planing allowance is reduced - finer/denser grain, so you shouldn't need to remove as much timber to get it smooth.
This in the UK at least is/was as dictated by the RICS & RIBA and as a fresh faced (well, actually a bit spotty) Quantity Surveyor 40 years ago, that's how they'd measure.
With better and computer controlled tooling in the 21st Century, one could probably expect those tolerances/planing allowances to reduce, but the reality is that it's gone the other way: Wrought softwood timber sizes are unchanged, whilst wrought hardwood timbers are now generally the same size as the softwood ones. In any single piece of timber that saving's miniscule, but the saving of 1-2mm on every board, plus an additional 6mm on hardwood board, adds up over the course of a year to a huge saving for a lumber company.

Sorry, I almost forgot about this being the joke thread: As a teenager I had a good friend who was and indeed still is, known to all as 'Forby', but only those who were at school with Steve know that this nickname is not an abbreviation of his surname, but is more correctly spelt 'fourby' because he was as thick as a four by two.
Old 17-06-2020, 02:28   #11165

For those who might question the humour/interest that test cricket can provide, I would commend this commentary (it begins at around minute three): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4uewlx

It even takes a pop at Tasmanians.
Old 17-06-2020, 02:50   #11166

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i thought a test match was 5 days ?

cheers,

I think I fell asleep after four.
Old 17-06-2020, 03:08   #11167

Worth it
Old 17-06-2020, 03:15   #11168

Not really a joke, but I thought it was funny - I watched a YT video of some rich yachties on their Atlantic crossing. They had an issue with a bolt on their wind vane pilot constantly coming loose, but never once did they think of putting a second nut on it to lockdown the first. Instead they were hanging over the side everyday to tighten the nut. Being stupid is hard work.
Old 17-06-2020, 04:44   #11169

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Not the cap, the players on the losing side generally wear green ones.

Ooooooooh. Mean.
Old 17-06-2020, 05:08   #11170
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

in cricket...a player that does not score any runs and is bowled out is said to have scored a "duck"....
probably the most embarrassing thing you would hear about a player...." oh, so and so scored a duck"...this is a head hanging moment, a cause to stand in the corner kind of thing...
well, as they say in good 'ole UK..."that's cricket for you"...
Old 17-06-2020, 05:17   #11171
Marine Service Provider

as a sport, it has it's dangerous moments....back in the day, you, as the batter would face a bowler trying to hurl a rock hard ball at you with all the speed he can muster...the ball must bounce on the ground first before trying to kill you...
wearing a crotch protector was mandatory...and you think this is a wimpy game...
nowadays, players wear full body armor, helmets similar to football players, so the ball won't demolish all your front teeth, but back in my day, it was risky business...and that's no joke !!
Old 17-06-2020, 10:58   #11172

Boat: Westerly Typhoon 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Cricket, comparative semantics, sigh. Can we get back to some proper jokes soon please :-)
Old 17-06-2020, 11:06   #11173

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaver View Post
Cricket, comparative semantics, sigh. Can we get back to some proper jokes soon please :-)
Old 17-06-2020, 12:06   #11174
Marine Service Provider

little Johnny and little Janie are playing in the park, bragging about different things..
Johnny " well, my dad has a bigger house then your dad....
Janie " well, my dad has a bigger car....

This goes on and on and in frustration Johhny pulls down his pants and says " well, I've got one of these and you don't"....Janie goes home crying as she knows she is beat on that count...

Next day, Janie meets Johnny at the park and whips down her drawers and tells Johnny "well, my mother sez I've got one of these, and with one of these, I can have all of those I want"....
Old 17-06-2020, 12:16   #11175

High quality bait...

Tags
boat