Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 14:17   #736

Boat: Still building
Re: The New Joke Thread

The mere fact that you use the term "questionable" in your post is implicit racism.

Obama was born in Hawai'i. Honululu, 4 August 1961. Ask the delivery nurse, some CNN reporter did, for sure.

What the "questionable" implies is one of the 'conspiracy theories' going around the Far Right that somehow, after he was elected (or perhaps before) government officials (ie: white bureaucrats) conspired to falsify his date and/or place of birth, which the theory goes, was Kenya, not Hawai'i.

Sure, his Dad was born in Kenya, and he has distant relations there, plus a few uncles and cousins on his father's side, but there's no question Obama is not American.

So implying he isn't American is racist.

And the further implication is that, because he's black, and blacks don't matter, or are less intelligent than us white folks, that he shouldn't be POTUS.

So a man with two degrees and years of experience as an attorney is not worthy of being POTUS, but a wacko with fairy floss hair is somehow OK?

US politics is weird.

Let's not go there.
Old 06-12-2015, 14:20   #737
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post

US politics is weird.

Let's not go there.
You just went.....but that's OK ..... I forgive you.....
Old 06-12-2015, 14:28   #738
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
The mere fact that you use the term "questionable" in your post is implicit racism.

Obama was born in Hawai'i. Honululu, 4 August 1961. Ask the delivery nurse, some CNN reporter did, for sure.

What the "questionable" implies is one of the 'conspiracy theories' going around the Far Right that somehow, after he was elected (or perhaps before) government officials (ie: white bureaucrats) conspired to falsify his date and/or place of birth, which the theory goes, was Kenya, not Hawai'i.

Sure, his Dad was born in Kenya, and he has distant relations there, plus a few uncles and cousins on his father's side, but there's no question Obama is not American.

So implying he isn't American is racist.

And the further implication is that, because he's black, and blacks don't matter, or are less intelligent than us white folks, that he shouldn't be POTUS.

So a man with two degrees and years of experience as an attorney is not worthy of being POTUS, but a wacko with fairy floss hair is somehow OK?

US politics is weird.

Let's not go there.
Funny how you state these as though they were facts. You believe the propaganda, I do not. IF he had produced a birth certificate when it first came up, it would have all made sense. To take years to produce it makes me suspicious.

Why do you keep saying he's black? Even if his father was 100% racially pure, it would only make him 50% black. Since that's not very likely, he's almost certainly more than 50% white.

I really don't care. I'd vote for Ben Carson. I live in a black nation. Voluntarily.

What disturbs me most is watching the man doing everything he can to flood the country with moslems while simultaneously trying to disarm the people who already inhabit the place.

I guess that makes me a racist? a denier? A birther? An antidisestablishamentarianist? What kind of name do the liberals have these days for people who support the Constitution?

This is my last comment on it. I guess refusing to discuss it further makes me a racist. We need to get back to jokes.
Old 06-12-2015, 14:29   #739

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Nothing racist about the original comments. Would have been the same if he was Irish.
People are way to quick to jump to the easy excuse instead of thinking.

Whatever happened to the color blind society MLK fought for?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-12-2015, 14:43   #740
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
We need to get back to jokes.
+2

...and FWIW, a 'joke' that requires a certain political persuasion to be funny isn't really much of a joke...
Old 06-12-2015, 15:13   #741

Alas, humour has been around for a lot longer than the concept of racism, and so lots of jokes are racist, sexist, homophobic, ageist, religionist, etc etc etc.

If we went totally "PC" there'd be no jokes.

And Canibul, for the record, saying 'he's filling the country with Muslims' is also racist, or at the very least, and being kind, shows an utter lack of understanding of the phrase 'religious tolerance' which is, in fact, enshrined in the Constitution you so devoutly espouse.

More Americans are killed by other Americans than by anyone else. According to the stats there are around 300 gun-related incidents in the USA per day.

Per day.

Anyone who thinks the "right to bear arms" and the loose availability of guns this has engendered is not part of the problem of dead Americans is only kidding themselves.

Personally, I think there is merit in both sides of the gun lobby. Imagine if one of the staff at the San Bernadino county facility had been armed and trained to shoot back?

Or at any of the theatres, schools and workplaces where disgruntled and or crazy people have let off their frustration with society by murdering their "fellow Americans" with guns.

But if we *all* had guns, who'd bother debating with anyone? We'd just start shooting. Or some of us would. And that way lies anarchy, warlords and despotism. Take a look at Africa.

But religious tolerance has to be a two-way street, and iot is perfectly correct to say that *some* Muslim extremists are displaying religious intolerance, and infecting the disaffected around the world with the same *hate*.

And hatred, of anyone, by anyone, never solved any issue.

Nah. I'm with with you on your last comment. Let's get back to the jokes.

Leave the politics to those who like arguing that ****.
Old 06-12-2015, 15:16   #742

What do you call an Aborigine / Negro / Muslim / Inquisitor / Biker / Hispanic [insert whatever racial or religious minority group here] with a gun??

You call him "Sir!"
Old 06-12-2015, 15:27   #743

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

What does the 500 lb. canary say?
"Here, kitty, kitty, kitty!"
Old 06-12-2015, 15:33   #744

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Anything that highlights a person's racial differences in anything but a positive light is 'racist'.
But Shirley. any time you highlight one person's racial difference in a positive light, you are effectively denigrating all other races. So isn't that racist too?
Old 06-12-2015, 15:50   #745

Now that I'm older, here's what I've discovered:

1. I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it

2. My wild oats have turned into prunes and All-Bran

3.Now I've finally got my head together, my body is falling apart

4. Funny, I don't remember being absent-minded

5. All the reports are in: life is officially unfair

6. It's easier to get older than it is to get wiser

7. Some days you're the dog: some days the hydrant

8. I wish the buck stopped here, I could sure use a few

9. Kids in the back seat cause accidents

10. Accidents in the back seat cause kids

11. If all is not lost, then where is it?

12. It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere

13. If God wanted me to touch my toes, he'd have put them on my knee caps

14. When I'm finally holding all the cards, why does everyone want to play chess?

15. The only time the world beats a path to your door is when you're in the bathroom

16. It's not hard to meet expenses: they're everywhere!

17. These days I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter. I go somewhere and then wonder what I'm here after?
Old 06-12-2015, 15:52   #746

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
But Shirley. any time you highlight one person's racial difference in a positive light, you are effectively denigrating all other races. So isn't that racist too?
No ****.

Maybe a mod will close the thread now.

Seems like a good time.

And I kind of liked it.

Up until just a bit ago.

I'll check back another time.
Old 06-12-2015, 16:07   #747

How many racists does it take to change a light bulb?

None. Racists hate being enlightened.

What does a racist and a drunk have in common? Whatever both say ends in a slur.

Why didn’t the racist cross the road? He was afraid of the other side.

How many white people does it take to change a light bulb? None, they just beat up the room for being dark
Old 06-12-2015, 16:33   #748

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...promote-racism

Had a quick look for some actual academic study on the subject and this was the easiest to read that I could find.

Basically, studies into humour and racism find that "humour" based on "difference" tends to allow denigration of the different.

So, tell a joke about a blonde, makes it easier to think of blondes as stupid.

Tell a joke about a politician, makes it easier to think of politicians as stupid....

No. Wait a minute.....
Old 06-12-2015, 17:30   #749

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Maybe I'm a little slow but can you explain what made you think that post was racist?

The nature of racism is to exclude, disenfranchise or otherwise disadvantage someone of a different group and by implication improve one's own status. A primary way of doing this is to exaggerate any real or perceived differences to emphasize the "otherness" of the subject person.

In this case the manner of bringing up Obama's Kenyan ancestry not only points out that he has black ancestry but implies he is not even an American, so he is an outsider on multiple levels.

Yes there is humor in the original post, it broke an expectation without breaking logic which is the basis of humor, but that doesn't excuse the racist overtones.

The irony of questioning Obama's citizenship is that Ted Cruz who is campaigning for the Republican nomination was born in Canada to parents originally from Cuba who maintained his Canadian citizenship up until several years ago when it became politically inconvenient but nobody questions his citizenship or qualification to be president as a natural born citizen because he's white.

I'm fairly disappointed in Obama, he's been somewhat ineffective on a number of issues but knocking him for his ancestry is racist and not legitimate grounds for criticism or humor.

Old 06-12-2015, 17:53   #750

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

THIS IS A JOKE THREAD PEOPLE !!

Ayn Rand
Closed Thread

Tags
boat