Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 23:28   #12976
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31
Re: The New Joke Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Stu's not alone i can't see them either, it wasn't a problem for a while but whatever the problem was before is back again.....

Very annoying - just a lot of blank posts!
Old 05-10-2020, 00:27   #12977

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Instead of a link that a lot of the world can't see, here's how considerate people do it so that everyone sees it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wanted.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	224669  
Old 05-10-2020, 00:47   #12978

Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Stu's not alone i can't see them either, it wasn't a problem for a while but whatever the problem was before is back again.....

What they said.

I hope Max stays - his stuff is great when I can see it (I'm now in New Zealand).
Old 05-10-2020, 00:49   #12979

Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

What's the difference between a street trader and a dachshund?

A street trader bawls his wares on the pavement, whereas a dachshund...
Old 05-10-2020, 00:49   #12980

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Socaldmax -- all of your empty posts are getting really annoying. PLEASE stop trying to post links to images at glamisdunes.com.
Since I have been fortunate enough to see all of socaldmax's posts, I have no idea why others can't see them. However, if I might suggest a systematic process to analyze the problem, perhaps we could get to the bottom of this issue. It would be nice if it could be done on another forum area more suitable for technical issues, such as: "Forum Tech Support & Site Help" (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f10/). The process that is rumbling around in my head would be something like this:
1. Someone with more graphic and software technical expertise than I have would take the lead (Suggest StuM in spite of the recent flame throwing to and from socaldmax) and create a new topic under the above mentioned section.
2. socaldmax, anyone having trouble viewing his posts, and a few of us not having trouble as controls would subscribe to that thread
3. Subscribers would all submit their general locations, device, browser, OS they are using, and any other pertinent information.
4. The bright minds on that thread would analyze the information and come up with a solution. Who knows? We may find someone who lurks in that part of the forum with the magic bullet.

I volunteer to act as one of the "controls" who can see his posts.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:02   #12981

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Okay, we’re getting closer!

Couldn’t see them this time (have sometimes seen them previously).

Changed my location to the US (via VPN).

Can now see them.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:10   #12982

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Yachtsman View Post
Since I have been fortunate enough to see all of socaldmax's posts, I have no idea why others can't see them. However, if I might suggest a systematic process to analyze the problem, perhaps we could get to the bottom of this issue. ....
No need for any of that, the issue is quite clear.

socaldmax keeps posting links to images that are hosted on a domain which blocks large parts of the world, so many of us just see blank posts.

It's been going on for a long time. The cause has been identified many times and he has consistently made it clear that doesn't give a toss for all the forum members affected.

The solution is quite simple, if he wants the members of this international forum to see his funny images, he should attach them, find them on a different site, or host them somewhere else instead of only linking to images on one parochial domain.

If he wants to just entertain his compatriots, he should post elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:35   #12983

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

In France, I can't see socaldmax's recent batch of posts either - a pity since they are usually very good.

So, in common with other non-US members, I just enjoy the posts from other contributors ... ...
Old 05-10-2020, 03:24   #12984
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Old 05-10-2020, 04:00   #12985
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Q: Two coins add up to 30 cents, and one is not a nickel. What are they?
A: A quarter* and a nickel.

* The quarter isn't a nickel.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:09   #12986

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Q: Two coins add up to 30 cents, and one is not a nickel. What are they?
A: A quarter* and a nickel.

* The quarter isn't a nickel.

A: A 20c and a 10c coin.

Here's a couple (Aus and NZ). There are lots of other countries that also have 20c and 10c coins including all of the Euro nations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auscoins.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	224671   Click image for larger version

Name:	nzcoins.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	224672  

Old 05-10-2020, 05:11   #12987

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
No need for any of that, the issue is quite....

Stu,

I’m not sure the issue is as clear as you think it is. I am in the US and I cannot see Max’s posts on occasion. Things have improved and I can now see 90%+ of them, but not 100%. For a while, I could not see any even though I was in the US and connected to the internet via 3 or 4 different ISPs.

I don’t mean this next part as a personal attack and I certainly hope you do not take it as such, but I think the “if we all can’t enjoy them then no one can” attitude is the wrong approach here. Using that logic, then math jokes, jokes clearly aimed at local customs/goods/situations (like the strings of Oz jokes that occasionally appear here that I admit I don’t understand), engineering discussions, etc. should all be removed from this forum and taken elsewhere. Just because I don’t (or perhaps can’t) appreciate these doesn’t mean everyone should have to forego them as well.

I also think it’s wholly unreasonable to ask Max to do
more work to create these posts, whether it is copying, saving and posting as saved images, finding these somewhere else or, as was suggested a couple of months ago, retyping them to eliminate the graphics and make them text-only. I don’t recall who suggested that last one, but I don’t think it was Stu and I merely use it as an example and not to accuse Stu.

May I suggest that if anyone can’t see something, then treat it like any other joke you don’t like (or in my case, don’t understand) and move on. If someone really does believe it’s a fixable technical issue, then follow the process to escalate that, but accusing Max of discriminating against everyone on this forum who is outside the US is in my opinion unfair and unreasonable.

Tom
Old 05-10-2020, 06:16   #12988

Boat: Moody 44’ ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
In France, I can't see socaldmax's recent batch of posts either - a pity since they are usually very good.

So, in common with other non-US members, I just enjoy the posts from other contributors ... ...

I can’t see the offending posts either (in the UK). Would an easy fix be simply for someone who can see them to repost? Screenshot or something? PS i know nothing about computer systems etc and am often stumped by my phone.
Dave
Old 05-10-2020, 06:29   #12989

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_F View Post
Stu,

I’m not sure the issue is as clear as you think it is. I am in the US and I cannot see Max’s posts on occasion. Things have improved and I can now see 90%+ of them, but not 100%. For a while, I could not see any even though I was in the US and connected to the internet via 3 or 4 different ISPs.

I don’t mean this next part as a personal attack and I certainly hope you do not take it as such, but I think the “if we all can’t enjoy them then no one can” attitude is the wrong approach here. Using that logic, then math jokes, jokes clearly aimed at local customs/goods/situations (like the strings of Oz jokes that occasionally appear here that I admit I don’t understand), engineering discussions, etc. should all be removed from this forum and taken elsewhere. Just because I don’t (or perhaps can’t) appreciate these doesn’t mean everyone should have to forego them as well.

I also think it’s wholly unreasonable to ask Max to do
more work to create these posts, whether it is copying, saving and posting as saved images, finding these somewhere else or, as was suggested a couple of months ago, retyping them to eliminate the graphics and make them text-only. I don’t recall who suggested that last one, but I don’t think it was Stu and I merely use it as an example and not to accuse Stu.

May I suggest that if anyone can’t see something, then treat it like any other joke you don’t like (or in my case, don’t understand) and move on. If someone really does believe it’s a fixable technical issue, then follow the process to escalate that, but accusing Max of discriminating against everyone on this forum who is outside the US is in my opinion unfair and unreasonable.

Tom

I’m in the us as well. And the images come and go. But that’s ok.
I just move on to the next joke.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:36   #12990
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Originally posted by socaldmax:

Closed Thread

Tags
boat