Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 18:11   #11506
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: The New Joke Thread

that " thang" is so close to the ground, you couldn't hang a midget from it...incredible....you can't spit, chew or think anymore and you'll be labelled a racist, bigot, homophobe, etc, etc, add your favorite saying here...how this could be construed to be racist is beyond belief. White people were never hanged ???
Old 26-06-2020, 18:32   #11507

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Black people have been lynched in the USA's southern states since escaping slaves were lynched prior to the war between the States.

Ymmv, but to me, a noose for a black driver IS not a cute joke at all, but may be a real threat, but more likely messing with a competitor, and a despicable act.
Old 26-06-2020, 19:16   #11508

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-V SAGA View Post
Wouldn't a bowline make more sense? It's easier to tie and uses less rope.
I'd guess that more non-sailors can tie an ABOK#1119 Hangman's Knot than can tie a bowline.

When I teach basic knots on the Learn To Sail course, there's often one wag who ties a Hangman's Knot. They are often incapable of tying a bowline at that stage.

I even made a one page handout to cover that situation:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hangman.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	218130  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hangman-ABOK#366.pdf (182.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 26-06-2020, 19:18   #11509

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Black people have been lynched in the USA's southern states since escaping slaves were lynched prior to the war between the States.

Ymmv, but to me, a noose for a black driver IS not a cute joke at all, but may be a real threat, but more likely messing with a competitor, and a despicable act.

It was not "a noose for a black driver". It had been in place since at least October 2019, long before that team was assigned that bay. It was just easy to grasp end on a door pull.
Old 26-06-2020, 19:31   #11510
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

People who are bored will do things to pass the time.
I’ve tied a many a hangman's knot out of boredom when I had a piece of line as a kid. I’ve also tried to lasso fence posts etc, and I have no idea of how to do that or what I was doing either, many years later I learned that a Lariat was not just a simple piece or rope, but stiff like a cable.
To this day I’m completely inept at knots, to some it comes easy, me, I have to watch the animation probably 20 times, and still get it wrong.
A Bowline is about the only knot I’m capable of.
Old 26-06-2020, 19:32   #11511
Marine Service Provider

My understanding of the situation is that the noose at that particular race track stall door had been there for some very long time acting as an overhead door pull...probably someone's idea of a joke....albeit a bad joke, but the story I hear from NASCAR is that it had been there for a very long time, placed there by whom is anybody's guess at this time, as that stall has been used many times by other competitors and was not placed there for the singular purpose of offending Bubba Wallace or messing with him...I say "had been" as I'm presuming it has since been removed.

I want to be very clear here that I'm not trying to belittle anyone in any way, but my understanding is that NASCAR has since determined that Bubba Wallace was not the target of any type of racial attack in any way, shape or form.

I understand that racial issues is a hot topic here and elsewhere at this moment, but Bubba Wallace is a very popular driver across the board by most all NASCAR drivers and teams and enjoys huge support from NASCAR fans.

But yes, in Bubba's shoes, I would likely see this in an entire different light and trust that this issue has since been satisfactorily resolved.
Old 26-06-2020, 19:38   #11512

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
It was not "a noose for a black driver". It had been in place since at least October 2019, long before that team was assigned that bay. It was just easy to grasp end on a door pull.
So wait, you're the only black driver in a sport primarily supported by hicks and rednecks (yes, that's me being some sort of 'ist).
You are assigned the one (probably as none of your previous garages was so equipped) garage with a noose for a pull rope, you just had the cajones to drive a BLM car in said very hot environment in front of said crowd, and the country is exploding - not due to racial inequality but due to the media blowing things completely out of proportion, and oh yeah, Nascar just banned said supporters favorite artifact....no chance of him jumping to any conclusion regarding this....

Come on guys this is the joke thread. This sh!t's not a joke....especially if you're a black man in the American South
Old 26-06-2020, 19:40   #11513

Old 26-06-2020, 19:52   #11514

Old 27-06-2020, 00:19   #11515

Old 27-06-2020, 07:14   #11516

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

You must of missed the part where the FBI investigation concluded that the knot was present back in October of 2019, yet the black driver was only assigned the bay one week prior to the knot being found . . .

Of course it could have been a conspiracy . . . with the person who tied the knot having consulted a psychic back in October, who told him/her that in 8 months or so, the bay would be assigned to a NASCAR team who had a black member on it . . . Really! It could have been that way! . . .

Can we get back to jokes now?
Old 27-06-2020, 14:21   #11517
Marine Service Provider

Name:	PHOTO-2020-06-27-16-59-10.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	218169
Old 27-06-2020, 15:14   #11518

Re: What Happened to Covid-19?

Guys.
You have turned this into a political thread. Why do you do this?

Closed.

Hmmm not one word about dems or repubs. Just about giving money to those that need it. Now that is a big mistake or just a dumb joke. Imho.
Old 27-06-2020, 16:40   #11519

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

this may explain a lot...

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	312
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	218172
Old 27-06-2020, 16:46   #11520

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III