Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 11:19   #11056

Re: The New Joke Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Supply and Demand

You can see the fight that broke out as it was recorded on one of the body cameras. Someone could have been killed in the mix up.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig said the altercation could have cost lives.

More than two dozen heavily armed officers from the 11th precinct raided a home, unaware they were facing undercover cops from the 12th precinct posing as drug dealers.

Eventually, the Wayne County Prosecutor will review the video to determine if criminal charges will be filed.

No officers were seriously hurt.
Link:
https://abc7.com/video-officers-unde...ix-up/2658372/

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 11:26   #11057

Did any of them file police brutality charges?

socaldmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 11:29   #11058

Look at the bright side.

Neither precinct has a mole in their undercover division.
socaldmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 11:58   #11059

Rumor has it that 2 dozen medals of valor are awarded to the 11th precinct . While members of the 12 th precinct have been interviewed for acting roles for TV.
The make work project got full approval from prosecutors office as it keep them busy during the stay at home lull.
Old 15-06-2020, 11:58   #11060
cruiser

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Did any of them file police brutality charges?
Literally LOL'd
Captn_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 12:03   #11061

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Over the years have done a bit of business with Brazil and have found a similar issue with a Portuguese speaking country.

Love to tell them that they don't really speak Portuguese, they speak Brazilian, which they hotly deny. Think it's like speaking American vs UK English.
I sailed to Portugal last year with Brazillian friends...the difference was very apparent after making landfall.

Spanish varies a LOT between Spanish speaking countries too. Guatemala and Panama for example, have totally different vocabularies for many common hardware store items...not just pronuncuation differences but totally different words.

Panamanian Spanish has so many pronunciation quirks (like dropping ending S's and truncating words) and slang expressions that sometimes Panamanians dont even understand each other! I was in the bar at Shelter Bay Marina once when a Panamanian walked in and said to the Panamanian bar tender "Do atla por fa". The Panamanian bar tender didnt understand him. I understood what he meant and had to translate between Panamanians! He meant "Dos Atlas, por favor" ("Two Atlas beers, please").

At least with Spanish, vs English (as illustrated in the posts above), words are pronounced like they are spelled consistently.

Portuguese pronunciation is difficult, at least for me, I can read Portuguese and get a lot of it because of the similarity to Spanish, but hearing it is totally different.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 12:07   #11062
cruiser

Old 15-06-2020, 12:10   #11063
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

Portuguese pronunciation is difficult, at least for me, I can read Portuguese and get a lot of it because of the similarity to Spanish, but hearing it is totally different.
Here in Cape Verde I'm getting by ok. They can understand my Spanish ok, and I can understand their Portuguese. Not really making much effort to learn tbh, though I am learning the "accent" and trying to pronounce my Spanish that way, and picking up a few words.
Though the fact that they speak a Creole here too probably helps.
Old 15-06-2020, 12:53   #11064

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The drug bust post reminded me of another true crime story.

I guess there was some prostitution going on at the local Danish Health Club. The cops eventually made a bunch of arrests, according to the newspaper, "...after a six-month undercover operation."

How do you get assigned to THAT task force?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 13:10   #11065
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The drug bust post reminded me of another true crime story.

I guess there was some prostitution going on at the local Danish Health Club. The cops eventually made a bunch of arrests, according to the newspaper, "...after a six-month undercover operation."

How do you get assigned to THAT task force?
Haha, I guess they were just making sure they had enough evidence
Old 15-06-2020, 14:06   #11066
cruiser

Old 15-06-2020, 16:37   #11067
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 16:44   #11068

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
having spent some time in South Africa, one must get used to:

"now now"...ie, meaning I'm coming, not right now, but soon enuff, could be 5 minutes, 15 minutes, an hour....it's a basically a " promissory note " to come, without an actual commitment of when.

"just now"...ie, " I'm coming just now" meaning as soon as I've mowed the lawn, washed the cat, etc...it's not to be confused with " now now" as the time frame is meant to suggest quicker than " now now", but how quick is undefined,

Learning to use which phrase at what time is beyond my ability to explain...if you are wrong, someone will tell you "but I thought you said you were coming now now, not just now"...
Well, Afrikaans s such a rich language being built from Duch, German, French, English, Spanish, a few smatterings of Hindi and Malay, and what not....
I personally miss the freedom concets iike now now (nou nou) or just now (net nou) allows when you have to "seem" to make a time commitment....very beneficial to deal with certain annoyances....
Afrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 17:06   #11069
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I sailed to Portugal last year with Brazillian friends...the difference was very apparent after making landfall.
Have known a number of Brazilians and been there on business so have heard a lot of Brazilian Portuguese. Then a few years ago driving through New England ran into a Portuguese radio station and it was immediately obvious as Portuguese from Portugal. Even for a non speaker the difference in the accent was clear.

Quote:
Spanish varies a LOT between Spanish speaking countries too. Guatemala and Panama for example, have totally different vocabularies for many common hardware store items...not just pronuncuation differences but totally different words.

Panamanian Spanish has so many pronunciation quirks (like dropping ending S's and truncating words) and slang expressions that sometimes Panamanians dont even understand each other! I was in the bar at Shelter Bay Marina once when a Panamanian walked in and said to the Panamanian bar tender "Do atla por fa". The Panamanian bar tender didnt understand him. I understood what he meant and had to translate between Panamanians! He meant "Dos Atlas, por favor" ("Two Atlas beers, please").
Little experience with Panamanian Spanish but at one time I could spot many of the accents. Argentinian has a lisp, coastal Colombian a very pure accent, Cuban hard to understand. Once had a meeting with a Cuban-American and his client from Colombia. My Cuban friend spoke excellent English but the Colombian not at all so we conducted the meeting in Spanish. I am far from fluent but can stumble along reasonably well. So a few minutes into the meeting I noticed something and commented to the Colombian. "We just met but I understand your Spanish quite well but I'm having trouble understanding my friend." The guy replied that he didn't understand him either, that no one but Cubans could understand the accent and the slang.

Have been documenting the different words I've learned for bananas. Some places they are bananas. Some countries guineos. In Cuba platanos and what we call plantains are platanos verdes.

Quote:
At least with Spanish, vs English (as illustrated in the posts above), words are pronounced like they are spelled consistently.
Yes and I love that.

Quote:
Same here. I can comprehend 70-80% reading Portuguese but about 5% spoken. Similar experience with Italian.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 17:17   #11070

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

All this talk about "foreign" languages...

Some years ago I was at a meeting at Aldermaston labs in the UK. There were a couple of us Yanks and a slew of boffins from all over the UK... and I couldn't understand a word that several of them uttered, yet they were all native English speakers.

And then there is Australia...

Jim