Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 14-12-2019, 14:05   #7711

Re: The New Joke Thread

Old 14-12-2019, 18:43   #7712

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Three men die on Xmas eve, before they are let through the gate, the gate keeper says"before you pass you must show me something that represents Xmas". The first one pulls out a lighter and says it represents a candle, he is allowed past. The second rattles his keys and says it is sleigh bells and is allowed in. The third pulls out a G string and bra, the gate keeper says "how the **** does that represent Xmas", the third man says "they are Carols"
Old 14-12-2019, 21:01   #7713

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

How many yoties does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, because the right size bulb isn’t on board, the local marine-supply store doesn’t carry that brand, and the mail-order house has them on back-order.

cheers,
Old 14-12-2019, 22:44   #7714

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
How many yoties does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, because the right size bulb isn’t on board, the local marine-supply store doesn’t carry that brand, and the mail-order house has them on back-order.

cheers,
That’s very similar to the hardware stores here in the Philippines.

They all carry a certain size of fasteners (#4 thru 10)

They all carry a certain type of fasteners ( metal screws or small metric bolts)

They all carry a certain quality of fasteners (some Chinese crap that twists off it too tight)

They all carry a certain brand of fasteners (most in packages of odd # amounts)

So, if you are looking for a certain fastener other then one above you have to drive across a horde of chaotic traffic to buy 1-2 stinking fasteners.
Old 14-12-2019, 23:27   #7715

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

In Samoa, went into this hardware store looking for "thing". Guy at the counter says they don't stock "thing" anymore. See, a lot of people wanted "thing" and the store had trouble keeping enough "thing"s on hand to stock the shelf. So they stopped ordering "thing". Too much trouble. I almost have to admire the zen-like sensibility of that.
Old 14-12-2019, 23:48   #7716

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Reminds me of the (I think) Richard Gordon story about being a sale rep for pharmaceuticals while a med student.

For a week or two before calling on a chemist shop (pharmacy in the US) he would have several of his student mates go and ask for whatever it was he was trying to sell.
Old 15-12-2019, 02:02   #7717

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
In Samoa, went into this hardware store looking for "thing". Guy at the counter says they don't stock "thing" anymore. See, a lot of people wanted "thing" and the store had trouble keeping enough "thing"s on hand to stock the shelf. So they stopped ordering "thing". Too much trouble. I almost have to admire the zen-like sensibility of that.
Pretty much the same in P.I. They always seem to be out of stock on stuff that is in high demand.
If they wanted to make money why not overstock on high volume items.

The other thing that is funny is in the mall departments there are more employees then customers. Except around Christmas. And very few employees know anything about their products.

Then the mall is so crowded and loud you can’t even talk to the person your with, without shouting.
Old 15-12-2019, 03:12   #7718

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Three men die on Xmas eve, before they are let through the gate, the gate keeper says"before you pass you must show me something that represents Xmas". The first one pulls out a lighter and says it represents a candle, he is allowed past. The second rattles his keys and says it is sleigh bells and is allowed in. The third pulls out a G string and bra, the gate keeper says "how the **** does that represent Xmas", the third man says "they are Carols"
Geeeeze tough room, that was funny,
Old 15-12-2019, 03:36   #7719

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Geeeeze tough room, that was funny,

Reminds me of the one about the prisoners calling out numbers.
"It's the way you tell 'em"
Old 15-12-2019, 05:21   #7720
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

10 Best Places To Raise A Family
https://www.theonion.com/10-best-pla...ily-1840368683

Old 15-12-2019, 08:28   #7721

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Now that's a joke.
Old 15-12-2019, 10:26   #7722

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Reminds me of the (I think) Richard Gordon story about being a sale rep for pharmaceuticals while a med student.

For a week or two before calling on a chemist shop (pharmacy in the US) he would have several of his student mates go and ask for whatever it was he was trying to sell.
That reminds me of a genius entrepreneur/millionaire/bicycle mogul who started out penniless. He went to a print shop and swapped a day's worth of labor for 4 printed cardboard displays showing off a small gizmo he had invented. He then went to a machine shop and traded a day's labor to get 4 of these gizmos made up.

Then he went to a huge bike convention and asked the 4 top distributors to display his gizmo on their tables. After the first day of the convention, his phone blew up from all of the other distributors who wanted to order thousands of these "exclusive" gizmos that were apparently too hot for them to be allowed to carry. They placed tens of thousands of initial orders and he went back to the machinist and showed him the orders, signing a contract giving him exclusive mfg rights and getting the first batch done on credit, payable as soon as he got paid for the delivered gizmos.

He said it was simply creating a demand by feigning exclusivity, the idea he borrowed from the sunglass industry, which charges a pretty penny for $1 worth of plastic. He just did it without the million $ ad campaigns.
Old 15-12-2019, 10:48   #7723
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That reminds me of a genius entrepreneur/millionaire/bicycle mogul ...
Who would that have been?
Sounds apocryphal, to me.

Old 15-12-2019, 13:54   #7724

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

"That reminds me of what happened" earlier today. See, I don't disallow those adds that appear on the right of the screen - figure it helps keep the website operational. (But that's a whole other TED Talk.)

What I want to mention is that this advert appeared for Oriental Scandium, a company that apparently mfrs and distribs Scandium Oxide. So, curious, I turned to google. There it was. Now, what on god's green earth about my search history (prior to that moment) gave some algorithm the concept that I'm even remotely interested about something used in mercury vapor lamps that in turn are used to replicate sunlight? I'm no eccentric scientist trying to devise a method to offset some Norther Norwegian town population's Seasonal Affective Disorder due to the lack of winter sunlight! (Heck, I barely qualify as a Tinkerers Assistant.)

But then I thought about it. My search history is probably so ecclectic, so diffused, that algorithms can't find a round hole for my square peg. So they're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. And I nibbled at the proffered bait - silly me.

Now I can probably anticipate an influx of ads dealing with various chemical components (etc.) of various types while the AI algorithms try to sort me out. May the Flying Spaghetti Monster protect me if there are poisonous or explosive chems in any adverts because USA Homeland Security zeros in on all that kind of stuff. The road ahead might turn real rocky, real fast.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the puchline which qualifies this post for the joke thread. Innocent web user gets put on a terrorist watch list due to AI-guided algorithms. What, you don't see the humour in that?
Old 15-12-2019, 14:57   #7725

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Who would that have been?
Sounds apocryphal, to me.
Why does it sound apocryphal? In my experience, the truth is often far stranger than anything I could dream up.

His name is Brian Scura. The owner of GT bicycles (they were popular 20-30 yrs ago) and several other bike companies, current owner of SST, also the inventor of the Odyssey Gyro, which allows the brake cables to pull on the brakes of a BMX or freestyle bike while also allowing the rider to spin the handlebars 360* or more. He made $1 commission per unit, they sold millions worldwide. He also invented a few other things, but he was too modest to tell me about them, even though we talked every night by a campfire in the desert for at least 100 days over a 2 yr period. Most of the conversations were kind of Zen like, he was extremely well read and could quote entire passages from famous books on business, influencing people, etc.

Even stranger, I'm good friends with Don Parscale, the former owner of Ultramax BMX cranks and former business competitor in the bike business. We ended up talking about Brian and he remembered having a heated argument with him at a bike convention about the proper Rockwell hardness for chromolly bicycle cranks. We all camped together in the desert, they resumed their argument from 20 yrs before and realized they now agreed on the same number.

Even stranger than that, my chassis fabricator, Dustin Dumas, of AG Sandcars, was building a custom travel trailer for a freestyle rider friend of his who turned out to be the first professional bike rider that Brian hired. When I took Brian to meet Dustin for lunch, the rider was there and it turned out they all knew each other and it became a big unplanned reunion. Dustin was very impressed with Brian, apparently he followed Brian's BMX team when he was a kid. It was the BMX rider (I don't recall his name) who told me about a couple of other inventions Brian had that he never mentioned.

Even though I was never involved in the bike industry, it's apparently a small world and I accidentally met quite a few of them, including Don's son, who was the first rider on the Ultramax BMX team.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat