Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 23:45   #4531
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: The New Joke Thread

Whatever...the guys laughing in the video were Jerks. They could have helped that non technical person in the beginning rather than have her playing with a gas hose [emoji107]
Old 20-02-2019, 23:58   #4532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Whatever...the guys laughing in the video were Jerks. They could have helped that non technical person in the beginning rather than have her playing with a gas hose [emoji107]
There is non-technical, and then there is just plain stoopid.

The thought that ran through my head was, "How did she not know it was an electric car?" It must not be hers, some trusting soul lent it to her, unaware of the depths of her ignorance. I honestly do not know anyone who is that ignorant.
Old 21-02-2019, 02:06   #4533

Boat: Westerly Sealord

About 50 years ago I hired a car... a Renault... an 8 or a 10.... in Australia. Renaults were not very common in Oz...

Pulled into a servo..... 'Fill 'er up' sez I... this was back in the days when a man would do the menial tasks like 'pumping gas' for you.... the driver didn't get involved...

Flunky does a few laps of the car.... 'How? Where?'

'Buggered if I know' sez I.
Old 21-02-2019, 02:17   #4534
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Old 21-02-2019, 03:15   #4535
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
There is non-technical, and then there is just plain stoopid.

The thought that ran through my head was, "How did she not know it was an electric car?" It must not be hers, some trusting soul lent it to her, unaware of the depths of her ignorance. I honestly do not know anyone who is that ignorant.
Well I've never seen or been in a Tesla so I'm pretty stupid about how it all works.
Lady could easily assume it was a hybrid that needed gas to recharge
It just struck me as a bit cruel to let her dangle with an unknown.
Old 21-02-2019, 06:35   #4536

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Gordy,

Everyone knows he should have used a GFI!!! Hahaha
Old 21-02-2019, 08:31   #4537

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

That Tesla video was a setup.
Have a look at the "prequel".
The same woman is in that.

Ayn Rand
Old 21-02-2019, 09:12   #4538

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Okay, I'll display my ignorance here: I've heard of vectors. But what on earth is an Eigenvector? (Oh, and just like the radical feminist peeing contest, that one was "no hands", well no maths allowed.)

Ann

Yep to what other said, but I'll expand somewhat more so that it will make sense why I named the boat Eigenvector.

From a pure mathematical definition a Vector has a magnitude and direction as opposed to a Scalar which only has a magnitude. The vector is defined as X,Y,Z in 3D or we can run in 2D which would be X,Y.

When you multiply 2 vectors together you end up with a resulting vector with a new magnitude and direction. There is a special case in which the direction didn't change but only the magnitude. (The vector became longer or shorter) One of the original vectors in this case is called an Eigenvector because any vector you multiply by it results in just another vector either longer or shorter, but same direction of the Eigenvector.

So now that the math is out of the way……….Math is the foundation for all sciences, the equations are same but the variable just mean different things. For me, as an engineer this applies to Heat Transfer, Thermo, Fluid Dynamics, and Stress analysis. Same equations just different meaning for the variables.

An example where I routinely utilize Eigenvectors is in determining the Bulking of Structural Members under load. I calculate what the Eigenvector is for the stiffness matrix of the structural system and this results in the way the structure will buckle or collapse (using Finite Element Analysis for this). So when you when you go too deep, your hull buckles, if you go way too deep it still buckled the same way, regardless of the input pressure as long as it is sufficient.

So if my boat is an Eigenvector and the Wind is an arbitrary Vector, and I multiply Wind x Boat it would continue in the same direction with only the speed changing but not the course via adjusting the sails.

<Insert Paul Harvey here>

I guess I could have named it something simple but Math paid for the boat and everything else I have. However that underpowered dinghy I have IS a Scalar.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:51   #4539

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenvector View Post
From a pure mathematical definition a Vector has a magnitude and direction as opposed to a Scalar which only has a magnitude.
back to jokes ...

What do you get if you cross a mosquito with a rock-climber?

Nothing ... you can't cross a vector with a scaler.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:09   #4540

How does a man keep his wife screaming for at least 15 minutes after she has an orgasm?

By wiping his d@#k off on the curtains.
Old 21-02-2019, 12:42   #4541
CF Adviser

Ah!!! the ying and yang of humor.
Old 21-02-2019, 13:56   #4542

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
About 50 years ago I hired a car... a Renault... an 8 or a 10.... in Australia. Renaults were not very common in Oz...

Pulled into a servo..... 'Fill 'er up' sez I... this was back in the days when a man would do the menial tasks like 'pumping gas' for you.... the driver didn't get involved...

My first car!

Petrol filler was in....

Wait for it....

The ENGINE bay!

Yep, refilling meant you were leaning over an often smoking hot engine (rear engine with all of the associated cooling challenges) with a fountain of petrol. The fuel tank was in, ironically, the firewall. So you had to lean all the way over with your face practically in the carbie intake.

The only upside was that the thing was so economical that refilling took place quite infrequently.
Old 21-02-2019, 14:25   #4543

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
In linear algebra, an eigenvector or characteristic vector of a linear transformation is a non-zero vector that changes by only a scalar factor when that linear transformation is applied to it. . . .

It’s a function in matrix algebra.

Or to put it more simply:

A line which is changed in length but not in direction by a certain operation on its space.
Old 21-02-2019, 14:38   #4544

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I had one of those Renaults that were filled from the rear engine compartment. Pulled into a redneck gas station in the South (central Florida). I told the attendent where the fill was. He filled it up and I paid.
I started the car and the engine compartment exploded. Flames, smoke and loud bang! All four of the thin Renault doors flew open as my buddies and I jumped out and ran. After the fire went out and the engine compartment cooled off we opended the lid. The gas station mechanic sauntered out to have a look. The distributor cap with the spark plugged wires drooping was melted like hot candle wax. The mechcanic looked at it and gave his profesional opinion "Man, that's really gonna miss up you timing".
Old 21-02-2019, 14:58   #4545

Tags
boat