Top 25 Engineerís Terms and Expressions
(What we say versus what it means)
1. A number of different approaches are being tried.
We are still guessing at this point.
2. Close project
We sat down and had coffee together.
3. An extensive report is being prepared on a fresh approach.
We just hired three punk kids
out of school
4. Major technological breakthrough!
It works OK; but looks very hi-tech!
5. Customer satisfaction is believed assured.
We are so far behind schedule, that the customer will take anything.
6. Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive.
The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.
7. Test results were extremely gratifying!
Unbelievable, it actually worked!
8. The entire concept
will have to be abandoned.
The only guy who understood the thing quit.
9. It is in process.
It is so wrapped in red tape
that the situation is completely hopeless.
10. We will look into it.
Forget it! We have enough problems already.
11. Please note and initial.
Letís spread the responsibility for this.
12. Give us the benefit of your thinking.
Weíll listen to what you have to say as long as it doesnít interfere with what we have already done or with what we are going to do.
13. Give us your interpretation.
We canít wait to hear your bull.
14. See me or letís discuss.
Come to my office, Iíve screwed up again.
15. All new.
are not interchangeable with previous design.
Donít plan to lift
it without major equipment
Rugged, but more so.
18. Light weight.
Slightly lighter than rugged
19. Years of development.
One finally worked
20. Energy saving.
Achieved when the power switch is off.
21. No maintenance
Impossible to fix
22. Low maintenance
Nearly impossible to fix
23. Fax me the data.
Iím too lazy to write it down.
24. We are following the standard!
Thatís the way we have always done it!
25. I didnít get your e-mail.
I havenít checked my e-mail for days.