Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 10:55   #31

Re: The Knife Thread

I'm a landlubber (for now) but I always carry at least 2 knives. In my pocket I caryy an old 3 blade Buck that I bought probably 35 years ago. It mostly collects pocket lint, but remains sharp.
On my belt I always carry a no-folder, straight knife. I used to have a Buck110, but it was a foler, and rally quite heavy what with the brass bolsters and thick wood slab sides.
I first got a Schrade Sharpfinger with the fake scrimshaw handle, and wore it for years. It was just the right size, and the balance was perfect. I eventually broke it at the first rivet kickstarting my Harley. It just rolled down my leg and hit the grounf, and fractured. Schrade sent me a replacement for free. However, Schrade had been sold, and the steel quality wasn't near as good. I broke the tip off it in short order, and reground it myself. I still have it.
Then I found a Puma Buddy on Sportsmans Guide. It has the same shape as a Sharpfinger, but is made in Soligen, Germany, and has a beautiful stag bone handle. It's a fantastic knife.
But, for work, on the truck and everyday, I'm currently using a little K-Bar I found. The blade is a little short, but it seems to be a decent knife.It hold an edge well, and a few strokes on the stone brings it back up to shaving sharp.
I wouldn't be without my knife. THe general public is so wussified about them anymore. I've gotten horrified looks from people when they see my little 3" blade. But they're always the ones that need one. When I whip it out, they back up and get real defensive. Seems they prefer safety scissors and school paste rather than a nice sharp tool for the job.

Tops knives has a blade I would love to have, designed by Tom Brown, an Apache Indian trained tracker. Called the Tracker, and the smaller Scout. The Scout runs in at $119, the larger Tracker at $299. I think the Tracker is a bit heavy for general wear, at 1lb 12oz.
TOPS Knives.com
TOPS Knives.com

A good knife is a lifesaver. Tops is one of my favorite sites, as is Cold Steel. Cold Steel's knives have taken a bit of a turn in quality, as some are being made overseas. But they still have some awesome cutlery. You can get a nice cutlass from them that is as perfect of a replica as you will get. 1917 Cutlass - Cold Steel Knives
Cold Steel Knives
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:09   #32

Myerchin fixed blade with fid. My cold steel recon sees more action to be honest. The thing is ready for war.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:11   #33

And a fid also works for leveraging shackles, it's why there is usually a hole in them. Saves me from needing pliers a lot.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:19   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Myerchin fixed blade with fid. My cold steel recon sees more action to be honest. The thing is ready for war.
Be nice if Cold Steel would produce a riggers tool.
Might be worth sending Lynn Abrams an email....
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 11:38   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Great thread. Lots of good info.

I agree with whomever said that a rigging knive must have a marlinspike.

That said, after years of spending $$$ on expensive knives, I stopped and started only carrying and using a Buck Bantam knive. First and foremost, a knife is about the blade. Buck makes excellent blades from hard 420 series steel, that actually hold a very fine edge for a long time.

The Buck bantam is cheap ($20?), very light weight (!) and operates with one hand. Has a clip for keeping in your pocket. Eyelet for a lanyard.That is all I want and need from a knife that I would keep on me.

For $20, I could have a couple. Keep one on me and one in a convenient place. If I lost or broke them...no big deal...spend just $20 and have a new one.

You then have other knives for their specialty. Dive knives, fixed blades for more heavy work.

On a boat, I do not want a knife with a very aggressive sharp point. The Buck bantam was about the sharpest point I would accept on a boat. Anything more pointy will be a hazard.

A knife with a sharp blade is all I ever needed or wanted. Anything else on a knife was superfluous.

Old 28-02-2013, 11:48   #36

Boat: a sailing boat

Above deck, there are two emergency knives here (ha - life is easy on a 26 ft'er). One at the helm, one at the mast.

I had to use the helm one after our knock-down: the solar panel got free from one of its attachments and was threatening to smash my panicked head.

Surprisingly, the mast knife got lost in the same accident. Read the angle was beyond 90 degrees.

Below deck, there are kitchen knives and our personal flick knives (2xOpinel, 1xBlackWoolf). I also have one special steel cheapo knife for all boatyard/underwater jobs.

Last week I run into a lovely one piece knife that I would love for opening coconuts - the right kind of steel, the right blade shape, the right construction ... only the price ticket was "wrong" - like USD 100 or thereabouts. Argghhhhh ;-(

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 12:08   #37

Boat: 1970 C&C 30 Redwing

I've taken a bit different approach. I carry a fairly hefty knife and a 8 inch marlinspike in a sheath. During rigging season, I also add a Swedish fid to the mix. All are on lanyards.

Working on tall ships, I have learned to appreciate the utility of having dedicated beefy tools that stand up to heavy use. The 8 inch marlinspike is indispensable in not only loosening knots but drawing them up snug as well.
Bobalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 20:19   #38
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Thank you all for your great responses here. I've learned quite a bit about alternative new knives to purchase. Think I might pick up a Myerchin.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 20:43   #39

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I have a 4 in Sheffield Mariners knife My father left me when he passed. Is in a sheath on the back of my belt crossways, always with me ! Connie and I both have Myerchin one piece rigging knifes, with steel spikes in the sheath. Find them to sharp and the spikes ok also, but will never be as good as a wood fid for spliceing! Just my 2 cents
Old 28-02-2013, 20:47   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Think I might pick up a Myerchin.
Welcome to the club.
Old 28-02-2013, 21:24   #41

Boat: OPB
I carry a Microtech UDT (Underwater Demolition Teams) on my deckvest ever since the harrowing experience where I didn't have it, I like the fact that it is one handed and designed for ocean environment, but it's not a ringing knife so no spike or shackle key which I miss. Used to have one with a fixed sheepsfoot blade with a separate spike, I loved that knife, used and abused it but never any harrowing experiences. Definitely more useful though.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 21:37   #42

Boat: OPB
Oops! I forgot, I think a Cold Steel rigging knife would be awesome too. I'd buy one for sure!
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 22:24   #43
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I own plenty of Cold Steel and others, but for daily carry and special purpose it's Spyderco all the way. Not only an awesome product that's made in the USA, but a great company. They gave me two of their Whale Rescue knives for free. My latest addition to the collection from them is a Spyderco Jumpmaster. H1 steel is absolutely the best out there for boating use on salt water, it will not rust.

Spyderco Jumpmaster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	55890  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 23:23   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Since I work mostly with dyneema I carry a ceramic rigging knife from $39.95 Ceramic Knife . I keep trying to convince the guy who makes these to add a marlin spike.

I would have never guessed, but the white blade is actually really nice when working at night. It makes the blade easier to see.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12   #45

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Ashore, I carry a Spyderco Endura. Aboard, an old Wichard with locking blade, marlinspike and shackle key, on a safety lanyard.

Alain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wichard.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	56054  
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote