Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 15:21   #1

The Cult Of Likabilty

Yesterday the New York Times published an article by critically acclaimed author Bret Easton Ellis that examines how groupthink in social media and the "Cult of Likability" marginalizes individuality and nonconformist thinking to the detriment of the diversity of our culture for the benefit of corporations.

Because Cuisers Forum is a form of social media where nonconformists are routinely and heavily discouraged, despite the fact that cruisers are by their nature a fringe group that chooses to live outside the norms of conventional society, I thought it might be of interest to some.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/08...ikability.html
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:48   #2

Re: The Cult Of Likabilty

I read it earlier today and what he says is spot on. Another slant on this is the term I heard the other day "weaponized outrage" where a vocal group can wreak havoc, especially if their target is outside of the "group think" construct.
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:49   #3
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

Is this going to become an anchor/ gun thread?
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 15:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Is this going to become an anchor/ gun thread?
Classic examples of nonconformists being shamed for thinking differently. If I had a dollar for every time someone outside the sailing mainstream had to defend their choices to the more conservative members of this forum I would be sailing around in a big ass catamaran.
Old 09-12-2015, 16:34   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

4 15 year old boys brutally tortured a puppy.
They were arrested but as minors can't be identified in the press etc.
But Facebook et al found their names and photos and ran a hate campaign of such severity (death threats by the hundreds) that I weighed in and told the adults to grow up.
I knew I would cop a bit of grief for that one.

Apart from haters I am supremely well liked. Oh, except by internet sailors. And, well, any internet user...

It worries me.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:52   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It worries me.
Ahh, Mark... don't worry, be happy!

Jim
Old 09-12-2015, 17:02   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

No worries Mark J. I've never been in "the fold" . I believe my classmates called me weird.
I used to think that approval from others was a sign of "being ok" . As I've matured I now realize that approval from others means nothing of value.

As to the group think on this forum ...it's simply human nature to desire community and to assume joining with others on certain subjects will provide that.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:11   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

And I thought it was just my opinions that were "weird" or "hateful" If Mark and Jim are in that category I am in good company.
In all seriousness, it has caused me to consider whether I want to be in CF many times. I stay as long as I am learning. Someday I will know enough to leave.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 18:57   #9

Boat: Pearson 367

Thanks for the link. Personally I don't consider CF to be a social media site, more of a tradesman forum. To be a cruiser you need to be a plumber, electrician, cook, and a sailor, and probably a couple other things. For social media most people are just spouting off about their daily lives and pop culture.

I have only met one person off this forum so the effects of a forum member telling me to eff off make me less likely to conform then on Fb, twitter, etc. I don't conform anyway so I don't have many friends on either.

The article is really about the "reputation economy" and I've been a waiter for ten years and I've seen the difference. We really don't have that here on CF. None of us are being punished because of our opinions financially.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:07   #10
cruiser

I believe in always going along with the group think majority, especially when it comes to topics like global warming, guns, anchors, multihulls, climate change, monohulls and global cooling. This way, I can be popular with the smart people.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:29   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe in always going along with the group think majority, especially when it comes to topics like global warming, guns, anchors, multihulls, climate change, monohulls and global cooling. This way, I can be popular with the smart people.
The "group think majority" are rarely the "smart people". Go along with the former and you will not be popular with the latter.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:49   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The "group think majority" are rarely the "smart people". Go along with the former and you will not be popular with the latter.
I was being sarcastic... 'thought it was obvious.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 19:59   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Not one of us.....!!!!!!

zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 20:04   #14

Recently on a thread elsewhere I expressed some opinions deemed unpopular by the majority and I found myself publicly and privately denounced, disavowed, and discouraged for my non-conformist thinking.

The irony being that my non-conformist thinking amounted to me trying to share my professional expertise with some people who very obviously knew little about what they were talking about but who were too busy falling over themselves liking something to tolerate what I was telling them.

I thought it was funny they were so bothered by what I was saying but it was also sort of sad.

I don't come to this forum to make friends and influence people. I come to learn what I don't know and hopefully pay it back by sharing what I do know. Sure, I've got my biases and imperfections. Requiring external validation to feel good about myself isn't one of them.

Probably explains why I am usually so blunt. Maybe if I was more warm and fuzzy I would have more green "reputation" squares on my profile page indicating that I am well liked?
Old 09-12-2015, 20:29   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I was being sarcastic... 'thought it was obvious.
Sorry, forget what thread I was in.

We've been seeing too much boneheadedness in the Arctic.... thread. That comment would be right at home with a few of the posters there without any sarcasm intended
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote