Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 08:34   #91

Re: The Cult Of Likabilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
At least one smartass will answer... In the bottom. We get a chuckle.
As well as giving a laugh, the post also puts the thread back at the top of the page making it more possible that someone who knows the answer will see it
Old 11-12-2015, 08:41   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
You don't need to miss Scoobert, he's alive and well over at SN;

SailNet Community - View Profile: UnionPacific
scoobert wasn't a non-conformist. He was a poster who asked questions, got an almost consensus answer and argued with those answers, almost each and every one of them, and continues to reinvent the wheel with just about everything he touches. He's still doing it over on SN. Just last month he asked about AGM batteries, yet again. I'm happy for him (and his family) that he's still floating. He did "make it" from NY to down south and he's living on his boat. Not all bad. He's just an unusual personality. He still has his blog. A fun read if you want to see how to do things backwards after being advised as to how to do things right but ignoring said input, and then having to start all over again. This and other boating forums have been very helpful to many to avoid having to reinvent the wheel. Some folks still insist that the square wheel is "right", though.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:44   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
AH....but that's just it.
It takes a little experience to realize that and lots of folks just want to be told what they already wanted to hear.

Then when given a little education, they take it the wrong way.

We see it all the time.

Me...I WANT people to say..Rich, your questions is wrong...what about ABC, OR ZYX. But many people that that the wrong way and come away from with a bitter taste. Just saying what I see, of course this from a Bling man that once asked what the difference was between Running and Standing Rigging and was told he was crazy and would never last living aboard back in the States.....
Really? Okay. "Richard, your questions are all wrong."

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1779168

Whoops. Maybe not that question...

SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Anybody like to carry a gun onboard? Anybody prefer the stability and comfort of a multihull? Anybody like your Hunter? Anybody have no interest in spending your hard earned cash on radar or AIS? Anybody feel ashamed because they don't have a blue water boat even though they only sail coastal waters? Anybody prefer to drive your boat with a tiller instead of a godawful wheel? Anybody have a freestanding mast? Anybody have a catamaran with two freestanding masts with one mounted on each hull?
Anybody elect to run their alternator output to the start bank first instead of their house bank?
Old 11-12-2015, 08:59   #95
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
scoobert wasn't a non-conformist. He was a poster who asked questions, got an almost consensus answer and argued with those answers, almost each and every one of them, and continues to reinvent the wheel with just about everything he touches. He's still doing it over on SN. Just last month he asked about AGM batteries, yet again. I'm happy for him (and his family) that he's still floating. He did "make it" from NY to down south and he's living on his boat. Not all bad. He's just an unusual personality. He still has his blog. A fun read if you want to see how to do things backwards after being advised as to how to do things right but ignoring said input, and then having to start all over again. This and other boating forums have been very helpful to many to avoid having to reinvent the wheel. Some folks still insist that the square wheel is "right", though.
i had the opportunity to chat with scoobert at length one evening. he is very interesting character with a neurologic disorder manifested by his seeming argumentativeness. i am familiar with it as a health care factory worker from ghettos and high falootin snotspitalls for so many years--
he is not non conformist, he is not arbitrary nor argumentative deliberately, but needs to be able to easily see how the thing works. low flustration tolerance, and he has as much tolerance for bs as do i, and verbalizes that better than do i. stressors make the condition worse.
btw--i like him. he is not a dummie, and has a desire to learn.
a surprising nuber of olks have a difficulty in communicating on social and semi social levels most often due to neurological glitches.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:05   #96

Thanks, zee.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11   #97

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
neurological glitches.

I hate having those but I am about to give up and not worry.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:08   #98

Boat: Rafiki 37

You guys realize that one of the functions of social behaviour is to bring cohesion and individual conformity to a group -- like CF. It's why humans are one of the few species that can create mass communities (us and some insects, like bees and termites).
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20   #99

Any guy who wears a neon pink t-shirt with bike shorts and pink socks with pink shoes is a nonconformist in my book. Even more so if he is a sailor. YMMV
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:21   #100

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You guys realize that one of the functions of social behaviour is to bring cohesion and individual conformity to a group -- like CF. It's why humans are one of the few species that can create mass communities (us and some insects, like bees and termites).
Mike, really? Insects? The perfect communist societies... There is no individualism and the only order of business is to work to procreate and perpetuate the colony and even the queen is working. They would have no time to waste on CF.

Humans are more closely related to predatory animals. They form communities around family and work communally to hunt/gather and for protection. They are also able to act as individuals in the process.
Groups are established around an alpha.

I would compare the users of CF more closely to Dolphins. They live together in pods and form larger pods when the needs arise and there is no true rigid or hierarchal structure. They are compassionate helping other sick or injured dolphins. They like the water and they love swimming around boats. They do get aggressive and angry with other dolphins in an out of the pod. They can live solitary, but prefer to live in groups.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 16:22   #101

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Any guy who wears a neon pink t-shirt with bike shorts and pink socks with pink shoes is a nonconformist in my book. Even more so if he is a sailor. YMMV
Now that I know he's "UnionPacific" over on SN, he got jumped pretty bad over there awhile back for pointing out the hypocrisy of prohibiting boaters from discharging their holding tanks in an area where the local waste treatment plant was reputedly pumping out millions of gallons of untreated sewage during periods of overflow. Now he wasn't advocating or justifying boaters also pumping their waste out on account of this, only trying to provide some perspective. At least that's how I read it. But even the suggestion seemed to offend the majority of the crowd, and they didn't hesitate to express it. I guess it's just one of these hot-button environmental issues where people don't even want to entertain any sort of departure from the script.

On the other hand, I started out here with several assumptions that I thought were inviolate, but over time other posters have swayed me otherwise because they taught me that my assumptions, and the conclusions that followed, were misplaced. I don't think I changed my viewpoint out of any pressure to conform, it was more just a question of listening and learning.

So maybe a distinction should be drawn between pressure to conform to a particular group of people to feel accepted, as opposed to not always being the contrarian just for the sake of confirming your own non-conformity.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:33   #102

Boat: Pearson 34-II

To be likeable, one must practice and fulfill the aims and goals of the group. It means that one sacrifices individuality and practices group behaviour in an acceptable manner. Among humans, you must talk like the group, act like the group and share their common values. If you do so, you will be liked and considered a valued member. If you deviate, you will be punished, ostracized and deemed unlikeable. It's that simple. So, in regards to CF, when you see group members that have a long lists of friends, or multiple ratings for their submissions, you can be certain that this person has been very careful not to offend or contradict other members (on a regular basis) and is keenly aware of fulfilling those attributes which make him/her a valuable member of the group. This is how society works. However, there are those that are hardwired at birth (my personal belief) to be free thinkers, act on personal rather than group principles, and to live with the understanding and commitment that it is more important to live life by their own ethics/standards than be handcuffed by the constraints and values of the group. We have seen these people throughout history such as Giordano Bruno, Galileo, Copernicus, Mozart, Darwin, Nietzsche, and Sartre, to name a few, who have disavowed the norms of the group while advancing civilization another notch by swimming against the current. So, is there a cult of likeability? Yes, it is how the majority of humans are hardwired. Do you dare to be different? Good luck and good sailing.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:20   #103

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Some folks still insist that the square wheel is "right", though.
Chrysler corporation back in the '60's if I remember right:

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:21   #104
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Just remember that you're unique. Just like everybody else.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:29   #105

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Just remember that you're unique. Just like everybody else.
Or eccentric if you're wealthy, weird if you're not.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote