Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 08:53   #46

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: The Cult Of Likabilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
From the FAQ

What is reputation?

Thanks is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.

Thanks may be positive Positive Thanks Icon , negative Negative Thanks Icon or neutral Neutral Thanks Icon. Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Thanks Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.

What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Thanks Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Thanks Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.
Whoa! I'm beginning to see what you mean. On the one hand a serious attempt to objectively digitilize (apologies to your editor wife) an inherently subjective human trait. On the other hand a bit spooky. Didn't know about the little green squares, and in my case I'm afraid to even look.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:29   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thank goodness I only have two boxes. I will have to sling my opinion around just a bit more and maybe I can get it down to zero....
You guys are entertaining. The people I look up to most are prophets. And they tended to get killed or hide in caves due to their popularity.
Not working hard enough apparently.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:30   #48

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Having always been a non-conformist and somewhat an outsider, I have never been tempted to have a Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin or other social media account. I also don't play golf or went in for the martini lunches so popular in my younger days.

Lancoombe "At age 59 I can't calculate how much time I have left, but I have calculated to the second the amount of time I'll devote to worrying about my popularity" SPOT ON!!

Of course at 70, I should be a real conformist, (generational thing). Oh well missed that train as well
Wow, I could have said exactly that myself!!

and + 1: At 63 I have never subscribed to the house with the white picket fence, a station wagon....

Quote:
My wife is a professional word nerd and makes a living as an editor so I source all my word definitions from Merriam Webster.

Social Media : forms of electronic communication (as Web sites for social networking or microblogging) through which users create online communities to share information, ideas, personal messages, and other content (as videos)

This sounds a lot like Cruisers Forum to me. Most other definitions you will find will tend to agree.

I know shocking right? I was horrified to learn I was a social media user too. I always considered myself an outsider and figured as long as I wasn't on Facebook I was in the clear.
Internet Forum - straight from the group updated Weirdpedia:

"An Internet forum, or message board, is an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages. They differ from chat rooms in that messages are often longer than one line of text, and are at least temporarily archived."

Social media:
"websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking."

The common denominator is the Web, but the intentions are a bit different, do you conform?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:34   #49

Quote:
Yesterday the New York Times published an article by critically acclaimed author Bret Easton Ellis that examines how groupthink in social media and the "Cult of Likability" marginalizes individuality and nonconformist thinking to the detriment of the diversity of our culture for the benefit of corporations.

Because Cuisers Forum is a form of social media where nonconformists are routinely and heavily discouraged, despite the fact that cruisers are by their nature a fringe group that chooses to live outside the norms of conventional society, I thought it might be of interest to some.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/08...ikability.html
Not sure if you meant "likeability", or "lickability". It seems that "likable" is an accepted alternative spelling, but it looks really wrong to me.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Not sure if you meant "likeability", or "lickability". It seems that "likable" is an accepted alternative spelling, but it looks really wrong to me.
You should write the New York Times and share your nonconformist way of spelling Likabilty. Be advised that likability is the spelling recognized by Merriam Webster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	166
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	114646  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:56   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
True, but both seem to work for advancing the OP's point.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:02   #52
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Green squares for sale! Green squares for sale! Get yer green squares, right here. Mastercard and Visa accepted.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

Funny to find such a large group of unique non-conformists here. Kinda like attending a meeting of anarchists .

BTW, I like you all ... except for you. YOU know who you are .
Old 10-12-2015, 10:42   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Funny to find such a large group of unique non-conformists here. Kinda like attending a meeting of anarchists .

BTW, I like you all ... except for you. YOU know who you are .
I figured there'd be a few conforming non-confirmists in the crowd you wouldn't like.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:43   #55
One of Those

What do you expect from people who use composting toilets and Porta Botes?
Old 10-12-2015, 10:45   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
You should write the New York Times and share your nonconformist way of spelling Likabilty. Be advised that likability is the spelling recognized by Merriam Webster.
And FWIW; Likeability by the OED & American Heritage dictionaries.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:49   #57
One of Those

you WILL conform to the spelling police or pay the consequences, you know. This could even find it's way into your permanent file.

It's worse than the brits sticking an extra "i" in aluminum just so they can get away with mispronouncing it.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:54   #58

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Am I being subject to group think when I worry about my keel falling off? If my keel does fall off will I suffer a sudden and irreversible loss of popularity and reputation?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:59   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
And FWIW; Likeability by the OED & American Heritage dictionaries.
Clearly some non-conformity b'twn. the dictionaries. Or is it nonconformity?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:00   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Am I being subject to group think when I worry about my keel falling off? If my keel does fall off will I suffer a sudden and irreversible loss of popularity and reputation?
Sounds to me like the only fringe benefit of an otherwise catastrophic event.