Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 05:11   #31
cruiser

Re: The Cult Of Likabilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Maybe if I was more warm and fuzzy I would have more green "reputation" squares on my profile page indicating that I am well liked?
Only three green squares.... 'guess I'm not as warm and fuzzy as I thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	114637  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:12   #32

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Your correct in that it's not a new trend but due to technology it's spread to a larger audience at a time and has an "anonymous" component that lowers inhibitions (if you have to face a guy across the fire each night and he might come across the fire and take your head off you might not point his differences out as much in front of the group).
Old 10-12-2015, 05:16   #33

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
- but wouldn't this have also happened when the clan met next to the fire to discuss techniques for hunting mastodons? It does not seem to be unique to a new form of social media.
i do see a difference in letting someone starve for a stupid idea that scared the prey away instead of collecting likes for innovative ways of vegetariasing the menu.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:28   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You for example have four green squares indicating that you are well liked enough we to be considered to have a good reputation. I however have only two indicating I am not as highly regarded by the community as you.

For the record Mark, despite a couple rubs I have had with you, I think very highly of you and even though we often don't see eye to eye, I have a lot of respect for you and your opinions. If anyone deserves a good reputation it would be you.
Huh, I've never noticed those before. However, I rarely look at my own profile since I always seem to know who I am and where I'm at (for now at least, I suspect others here may have to look at theirs more often ).

I see that I have also been registered here twice as long as you with four times the number of posts. I suspect that has more to do with the number of squares than "likeability".

Thank you. It is mutual.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:41   #35
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Sob!! I only have one green square!! Now I must modify my behaviour to get more green squares under the pressure by whomever it is that doles out the green squares! I want everyone to like me.... ha ha ha ha ha. yeah, right.

I been slandered. Libeled. I hear words I never read in the bible.
Paul Simon.

Could be worse, I guess. I've been banned for life by YBW. buncha stupid brits. I'm gonna go vote for Trump.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:46   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I think the green square are related to how many times a member has been "thanked" for a post (bottom right - thumbs up).
This might be a reasonable proxy for likability/popularity.
I stand corrected. As a metric of "Likabilty" it makes me think about the article where people gives "likes" to be "liked". I will say when I give a "thanks" it is always sincere and I expect nothing in return.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:49   #37
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Sob!! I only have one green square!! Now I must modify my behaviour to get more green squares...

I'm gonna go vote for Trump.
Well, don't view the forum on a phone because it doesn't show the green squares at all. Nor the Thanks button!

With no green squares u might vote Hillarrrrrrry?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:55   #38

From the FAQ

What is reputation?

Thanks is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.

Thanks may be positive Positive Thanks Icon , negative Negative Thanks Icon or neutral Neutral Thanks Icon. Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Thanks Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.

What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Thanks Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Thanks Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:19   #39
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well, don't view the forum on a phone because it doesn't show the green squares at all. Nor the Thanks button!

With no green squares u might vote Hillarrrrrrry?

I'd vote for Charlie Manson before I'd vote for Hillary.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:22   #40
cruiser

I miss the days when Americans thought it impolite to discuss politics. Now, at every chance, they throw in some sort of comment, regardless how irrelevant it may be to the conversation taking place.

here's a tip: nobody cares for whom you vote
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:41   #41

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
if voting would make a difference, it would be illegal.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:23   #42

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe in always going along with the group think majority, especially when it comes to topics like global warming, guns, anchors, multihulls, climate change, monohulls and global cooling. This way, I can be popular with the smart people.
Ken, I think that you have spent too much time up a tree. Heck your not even popular with deer (the ultimate group think group). In my case I am over run with the buggers (3 to 5 in the yard usually). No need to go up a tree, just grab your Louisville Slugger. Surrounded with group think of deer I am.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:32   #43

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
I miss the days when Americans thought it impolite to discuss politics. Now, at every chance, they throw in some sort of comment, regardless how irrelevant it may be to the conversation taking place.

SO TRUE !!!
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:43   #44
One of Those

Quote:

I hear ya. I miss the days when people who didn't have something constructive, or at least humorous to say would basically keep their thoughts to themselves.

Perhaps you skipped the article that this thread was originally based upon, and went straight to your own uniformed opinion.

Here's another tip. Nobody cares what you think about who Americans vote for. The subject is likability, and Trump is very much part of this subject, and this discussion.

Pay attention. See if you can pick up some reading comprehension skills along with your new sense of humor.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:46   #45

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I'm tempted to say "thanks" to Delancey for bringing us this thread topic, and am thinking the "likeability" of the thread itself may be improving, but I don't want my "reputation" harmed, improved, or rendered neutral as a result. Is that too "conformist?" I suppose if you have to ask . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote