Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 06:12   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The biomass distribution on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I live on a boat. If the sea level rises 260 feet over the next year... I’d still be living at sea level enjoying the view.
Indeed!
You'd also have the advantage of a changing view, without moving.
Of course, in some cases, you’ll lose your (land) view entirely. Tuvalu, Kiribati, Palau, the Solomon Islands, the Maldives & Seychelles, and some other South Pacific or Caribbean islands come to mind.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:30   #17

Quote:
I live on a boat. If the sea level rises 260 feet over the next year... I’d still be living at sea level enjoying the view.

Yes but your anchor would get fouled all the time on those Florida condos.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:25   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

now th equestion is...
what will be done about this issue, you KNOW govts MUST butt into all things good and evil, and further messit up. so far govts have come up with
zero population growth (fail)
restricting numbers of offspring(china)
and some entities promote 80 to 90 percent depopulation.

i prefer to sail and avoid centers of overpopulation.

oh yes, donot fart. (cali has law to contain cow farts. hahahahaha)
donot belch
donot breathe.
omg you might be contributing to co2 in air.
and of all things, do NOT jump into the ocean at a set time and place to effectively raise ocean levels.
my goal has been to be able to sail over ft lauderdales condo towers without touching keel to antennae.
rising sea levels were predicted in 1958 for 2025. i am waiting. havent seen nary a sign of effecting these results, so far....
Old 06-06-2018, 04:34   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
... rising sea levels were predicted in 1958 for 2025. i am waiting. havent seen nary a sign of effecting these results, so far....
I suppose, you just “missed” the, roughly, 3" rise over the past half-century, or so.

Have you ever seen Helen Keller's dog? Neither did she.

Over the past century, the Global Mean Sea Level (GMSL) has risen by 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 centimeters).
However, the annual rate of rise over the past 20 years has been 0.13 inches (3.2 millimeters) a year, roughly twice the average rate of the preceding 80 years.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says we can expect the oceans to rise between 11 and 38 inches (28 to 98 centimeters) by 2100; but more dire estimates, including a complete meltdown of the Greenland ice sheet, place sea level rise to 23 feet (7 meters).

Old 10-06-2018, 06:25   #20

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I suppose, you just “missed” the, roughly, 3" rise over the past half-century, or so.

Have you ever seen Helen Keller's dog? Neither did she.

Over the past century, the Global Mean Sea Level (GMSL) has risen by 4 to 8 inches (10 to 20 centimeters).
However, the annual rate of rise over the past 20 years has been 0.13 inches (3.2 millimeters) a year, roughly twice the average rate of the preceding 80 years.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says we can expect the oceans to rise between 11 and 38 inches (28 to 98 centimeters) by 2100; but more dire estimates, including a complete meltdown of the Greenland ice sheet, place sea level rise to 23 feet (7 meters).
We need to face the fact that the Earth changes. It changed dramatically before man appeared, and will continue to change long after we kill ourselves off. ( How we do that is still up for grabs. Most likely scenario at present: zombie apocalypse.)

Point is, that the Earth has undergone dramatic climate changes - and they were NOT because of man's activities, the industrial revolution, or man-made co2 emissions.

Those with even a nodding familiarity with North American geology may remember that much of that continent used to be covered by massive glaciers. They receded (melted) LONG before the industrial revolution.

"Anthropogenic Global Warming" is an outrageous farce perpetrated by Al Gore and his merry band of climate pseudo-scientists. Not only have we wasted billions of dollars on bogus research, and endured decades of pointless debate on a fake problem - we have been distracted from REAL and SERIOUS environmental problems that ARE of man's making. Like plastic pollution to name just one.

The ocean levels may well rise - considerably. Yes, we will lose a lot of lower-lyibg land - including some whole countries.

That's not man's doing. It's nature.

Mankind will adapt to this change, just like he always has.

Let's start working on the real problems and stop wasting time, energy, and bandwidth on non-existent ones.
Old 13-06-2018, 02:34   #21

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
That's not man's doing. It's nature.

Mankind will adapt to this change, just like he always has.

Let's start working on the real problems and stop wasting time, energy, and bandwidth on non-existent ones.
36% of the land on earth is now agricultural out the 71% that can be used so.

Is it such a far fetched idea that we might have an impact and that it's not just nature doing it's own thing ?
Old 13-06-2018, 05:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
However, if all the ice in glaciers and ice sheets melted, the sea level would rise by about 80 meters (262 ft)
And if it did melt, the weight of all the redistributed dihydrogen oxide (10 to the 16th power kg...ten million billion kg) that is now concentrated near the poles would subsequently be uniformly distributed across the oceans.

Would the change in pressures at tectonic boundaries be significant enough to cause radical changes in plate motion? Would the movements be gradual or sudden? Would the effect be more or less disruptive along the coastlines than that caused by the sea level rise? Would high magnitude earthquakes result?

What effect would the melt have on tides and currents? What about ocean currents? If the currents change, will trade winds change?

What shall we do? Where can I hide?
Old 13-06-2018, 06:29   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Anyone who claims humans aren’t affecting the planet on a planetary scale is willfully ignoring the abundant data and facts.

It’s the same story we've always told ourselves:

- We can keep chopping the trees b/c they go on forever.

- We can hunt all the birds, animals or fish b/c their numbers seem infinite.

- We can extract the minerals and oil of the ground b/c the reserves seem so massive.

… We keep telling ourselves the same story, only to be smacked with our own willful ignorance.

Human civilization has become force of change on this planet. This doesn’t mean we’re the only force, or even the largest force. But to deny our incredible impact and our power is to deny reality.
Old 13-06-2018, 06:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Very good post Mike.

Unfortunately I think you will be told off by the blind men. I don’t think they want to be blind, but blind they are.

Hellen Keller could not see her dog but knew one existed because she could feel it. I can not see my great grandfather but know he existed because it must be so. I can’t see radio waves but know they exist because learned people have explained it to me. I can’t see GPS but I trust it above God. Maybe angles are moving that little Shiloh cursor on the screen, I doubt one of us here could prove that assertstion untrue.
Old 13-06-2018, 06:50   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Anyone who claims humans aren’t affecting the planet on a planetary scale is willfully ignoring the abundant data and facts.

It’s the same story we've always told ourselves:

- We can keep chopping the trees b/c they go on forever.

- We can hunt all the birds, animals or fish b/c their numbers seem infinite.

- We can extract the minerals and oil of the ground b/c the reserves seem so massive.

… We keep telling ourselves the same story, only to be smacked with our own willful ignorance.

Human civilization has become force of change on this planet. This doesn’t mean we’re the only force, or even the largest force. But to deny our incredible impact and our power is to deny reality.
Infinite growth on a finite planet is an unsustainable model.....pretty obvious I'd say.
Old 13-06-2018, 07:05   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Infinite growth on a finite planet is an unsustainable model.....pretty obvious I'd say.
Economists have formulas to prove you wrong!!!!!!
Old 14-06-2018, 18:51   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
You're gonna need a longer anchor rode though! 🤣
Closed Thread

Tags
rib