Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2022, 05:55   #1

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Thank-you to Mods: Splitting the Jokes Thread

I hope it's OK to comment on this. I didn't want to pollute the joke threads, and I know bad-mouthing the mods is unwelcome here. I hope it's OK to thank them though. If not, I won't be offended if this thread is deleted.

I appreciate the effort to come to a compromise to save the joke thread. No solution will satisfy everyone, but splitting it into two threads is a reasonable approach which I think can work, if we can all keep our indignation in check.

I thought I would have to totally ignore the political joke thread. I'm looking for a laugh, even if it's at the expense of my own political views. What doesn't work for me is childish name-calling in the guise of humor.

I did find both of those things in the political jokes thread, but I'm mature enough to enjoy the former and skip over the latter. In other words, for me, this new approach is working.

Thank you!!!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 16:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Thank-you to Mods: Splitting the Jokes Thread

Hear, hear!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 17:08   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
.......I hope it's OK to thank them though. ...........

Thank you!!!
It is ALWAYS OK to thanks us.

Some folk like to waltz, others like to Line Dance. It never worked having them on the same dance floor. There are now two avenues and everyone can choose the one that works for them.

While jokes (and dancing ) are not the main business of CF, the joke(s) thread is extremely well visited and we hope you will find a laugh or two in one or the other or both of them.

At the end of the day, it is the members (and the way they post) who make CF work.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 18:16   #4

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
…There are now two avenues and everyone can choose the one that works for them.

Reminds me of a little joke actually.

How the hell do politicians sleep at night?

Well, first they lie on one side. Then they lie on the other side. Then they lie on the first side again, then they…
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 19:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Reminds me of a little joke actually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	splt.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	260235  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 03:16   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Yes Yes Yes, thank you very much
Old 02-07-2022, 05:42   #7

Quote:

Some folk like to waltz, others like to Line Dance. It never worked having them on the same dance floor. There are now two avenues and everyone can choose the one that works for them.

While jokes (and dancing ) are not the main business of CF, the joke(s) thread is extremely well visited and we hope you will find a laugh or two in one or the other or both of them.

At the end of the day, it is the members (and the way they post) who make CF work.
It's unfortunate that certain other "extremely well visited" but " not the main business of CF" threads that have been closed could not have had such imaginative thinking applied to them, such as the suggestion made in this post.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...um-261699.html

(Post #4)
SailOar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:43   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:

And, this category of jokes ARE NOT related to boating at all.
Purely political!!
A seriously miscalculated venture was attempted here.
Extremely well visited does not mean useful!!!
IMHO
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:19   #9

Perhaps its usefulness is in that it provides a "safety valve" for ideas and ideals that are not tolerated in other threads.

A lot of the cruising threads eventually drift off into philosophy and political musings, which are not well received by half of the members.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 12:54   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Perhaps its usefulness is in that it provides a "safety valve" for ideas and ideals that are not tolerated in other threads.

A lot of the cruising threads eventually drift off into philosophy and political musings, which are not well received by half of the members.
I believe it just enables those that will deviate in those threads on boating, to continue that lack of respect we all agreed on.

A boating forum, for, and about boating, for boating enthusiasts.
Philosophy fits... Politics does not.
IMO

BYD
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 13:41   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Plus, there are plenty of other venues for political or philosophical chit chat. Some CF members showed they would not follow the posting rules for respectful discussion of ideas on those subjects.

The job of the [volunteer] mods is to enforce the posting rules everyone agreed to when they joined.

Ann
Old 05-09-2022, 14:06   #12

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

OP here. I still think it's a good safety valve. Remember, Nobody is forcing you to open that thread.

That said, I personally have stopped doing so. The ratio of funny jokes to childish (and unfunny) name calling has become just too small to justify my time. It's too bad, political jokes can be funny, even at the expense of my side. But if it gives the trolls an outlet, and keeps their opinions out of the other threads, I'm in favor of keeping it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 15:42   #13

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
OP here. I still think it's a good safety valve. Remember, Nobody is forcing you to open that thread.

That said, I personally have stopped doing so. The ratio of funny jokes to childish (and unfunny) name calling has become just too small to justify my time. It's too bad, political jokes can be funny, even at the expense of my side. But if it gives the trolls an outlet, and keeps their opinions out of the other threads, I'm in favor of keeping it.
Have to agree with these sentiments, seems that there are one or two that are solely here to push their political party of choices' philosophy without any apparent interest in the many other interesting and useful threads.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 18:08   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Just to be clear - there is no requirement for the content in either Joke thread to be boating related; never has been. There is requirement in every other forum for the content to be related to the forum topic, thread topic and also be boating / recreational cruising related.

Both Joke threads (regular and political) still enjoy good viewing numbers and none (or very few) have placed these threads are on ignore lists.

As a subjective analysis, it seems that having a place to air your political stance (i.e.in the Political Joke thread) has lead to a decrease in 'polluting' other threads with off topic political content. It has also made the regular joke thread a more enjoyable forum to visit for those who decry any political content.

So far (IMO), the thread has lead to an improvement to the ambiance of CF although I note not all agree.

Should the PJ thread cause CF to go south, its relevance (and life) will be reviewed.

Its existence has considerably decreased the total moderator workload which unsurprisingly, I find to be a very attractive feature
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote