Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 18:29   #1

Boat: Tartan 30
Tanker ship fends off Somali Pirates (video)

(edit) i guess the embedding thingy doesn't work, but the link at the top will get you there.
Old 06-04-2012, 18:53   #2

Re: Tanker ship fends off Somali Pirates (video)

Good to see.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 19:32   #3

Boat: Traditional 30

Fended off? It would have been nice if they shot at least one attacker in each boat. Word would get around the pirate community very quickly. But a great video all the same :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 19:38   #4

Boat: Sailboat

...need bigger guns:

the USCG tried to sink some tsunami trash and had a hard time:

LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 19:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
...need bigger guns:
That's what I was thinking. 50 cal with tracers whizzing over their heads would be pretty intimidating.
netplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 20:11   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck an old BAR would have Cured the problem in a quick flash !! Always better to be OVER armed then under armed Glad there doing something now!! this thing needs to be handled, cus it used to be a fine cruising area !Like to see it be again ! just our 2 cents
Old 06-04-2012, 20:22   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I’m a bit surprised they did not try shooting the pirates? Seems like if they did it would be less likely they try again
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 20:28   #8

Boat: too many

The Russian Navy has their own methods, and that is not only overkill, but give arms to the oilers, cooks, and dishwashers, for an all out assault.

deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2012, 20:40   #9

Boat: Tartan 30

Am I the only one who can't see the embedded vids?
Old 06-04-2012, 20:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Am I the only one who can't see the embedded vids?
No, but like you said, the link works.
netplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 07:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Poor fisherman were just coming alongside to sell their fish and ask for water (as the naive pacifists would like to believe)

Good on them for shooting these vermin. Wish I could volunteer ride along with a Barret 50 Cal. Dead men tell no tales.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58   #12

I predicted this development on this site a year or two ago in a related thread. It's a very logical response for the shipping companies, especially since the guards have all the advantage in terms of position and exposure, and public opinion is overwhelmingly on their side.

Right now, the pirates don't really need to be killed, if live rounds from small arms fire splashing around them and putting holes in their foredeck is enough to make them reconsider.

If the pirates are desperate enough to begin larger-scale, mulit-skip attacks to overwhelm the ship's defenses and accept a casualty rate (which I think is their most obvious counter-tactic at this point), then the ship's guards must quit aiming simply to intimidate and do anything they must to keep those bare feet from touching their deck. But that's a very large raising of the stakes for the pirates, and I doubt it will develop to that. Which of them will be willing to try to climb up to the deck, completely defenseless, when all a guard (or cook) has to do is lean over the rail and pump a slug in the top of his head? Too much like shooting fish in a barrel.

As a gesture of civility, ships with armed mercenaries should hoist a flag and/or sound an alarm giving any would-be attackers fair warning of what they'd be getting into. (I know this sounds like old pirate movies, but I'm not being cute here: I'm serious. It's only good sportsmanship to show that your ship is assuming an aggressive stance to any possible attacker).
Old 07-04-2012, 08:56   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I predicted this development on this site a year or two ago in a related thread. It's a very logical response for the shipping companies, especially since the guards have all the advantage in terms of position and exposure, and public opinion is overwhelmingly on their side.

Right now, the pirates don't really need to be killed, if live rounds from small arms fire splashing around them and putting holes in their foredeck is enough to make them reconsider.

If the pirates are desperate enough to begin larger-scale, mulit-skip attacks to overwhelm the ship's defenses and accept a casualty rate (which I think is their most obvious counter-tactic at this point), then the ship's guards must quit aiming simply to intimidate and do anything they must to keep those bare feet from touching their deck. But that's a very large raising of the stakes for the pirates, and I doubt it will develop to that. Which of them will be willing to try to climb up to the deck, completely defenseless, when all a guard (or cook) has to do is lean over the rail and pump a slug in the top of his head? Too much like shooting fish in a barrel.

As a gesture of civility, ships with armed mercenaries should hoist a flag and/or sound an alarm giving any would-be attackers fair warning of what they'd be getting into. (I know this sounds like old pirate movies, but I'm not being cute here: I'm serious. It's only good sportsmanship to show that your ship is assuming an aggressive stance to any possible attacker).

As a gesture of civility we should hoist a flag You have got to be kidding??? The only gesture they deserve is a high caliber round through their center mass. These are cold blooded merceless killers that would show you no quarter. Good sportsmanship?? You are disconnected from the realities of armed combat to say the least. I am not beyond rules of engagement since I am a military man but to show your hand to the enemy is foolish in this particular fight. They will just move on to prey on the weak and you will have helped condem them by your "sportsmanship."
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 09:24   #14

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
As a gesture of civility we should hoist a flag You have got to be kidding??? The only gesture they deserve is a high caliber round through their center mass. These are cold blooded merceless killers that would show you no quarter. Good sportsmanship?? You are disconnected from the realities of armed combat to say the least. I am not beyond rules of engagement since I am a military man but to show your hand to the enemy is foolish in this particular fight. They will just move on to prey on the weak and you will have helped condem them by your "sportsmanship."
Here's a clip from the movie "Airplane".
I think it says it all.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The Russian Navy has their own methods, and that is not only overkill, but give arms to the oilers, cooks, and dishwashers, for an all out assault.

For anyone who doesn't read Russian, the last frame reads "Not One Pirate was Harmed in the Making of this Film!"

LOL.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply