Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 08:05   #1

Boat: Skookum 53'
pirate Surfer Attacks Shark.

Now that I have your attention. Some great live video of a shark attack in South Africa. WATCH: Pro Surfer Fights Off Shark Attack on Live Television - gCaptain
Old 20-07-2015, 08:25   #2

Re: Surfer Attacks Shark.

See: Hmmm... this guy looks tasty! - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 12:44   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I've watched that video several times. If that puppy's dorsal fin is any indication of its size, I am surprised he's alive!!!

I am based out of Tarpon Springs Fl. I'm told by local fishermen that there are abundant black tip sharks around the local favorite barrier island. In 20 years of sailing and swimming in those waters I have never heard of a single problem.

A bit south of here is Boca Grande pass. Famous for tarpon along with hammerhead and bull sharks. My boat would be on the bottom before I'd get in those waters.

So hats off to that surfer, I would have done my best impression of an octopus and left a trail of brown "ink" behind me. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 13:14   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quite agreed, large dorsal fin.

Very lucky man. Possibly startled shark by his attack, amazing he was able to swim away Wonder if he got his board back later?

Ann
Old 20-07-2015, 13:57   #5

Yeah, had the family in the Bahamas years ago. Little kids included playing in the shallows. Nice little isolated crescent white beach. Son in law and I went snorkeling around the rock point, maybe 100-150 yards total around the point. Not much going on so we were moving along pretty fast in maybe 10-12 ft of water. Turned around to come back there was a big Bull Shark gnashing his teeth on the rocky/reef point... maybe after a lobster. We had just passed there maybe 3 minutes before.... saw nothing.
Hmmm...wait for him to leave? pass outside him? NAH! We hit the beach!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:01   #6

Shark Incident <> Shark Attack

After watching this video several times I would contend that this would be better referenced as a shark "incident" rather than the media sensationalism of a shark "attack".

Most of what is shown is the shark trying to free itself from entanglement in the surfer's leg rope. No one was bitten. No boards were bitten. Only the leg rope suffered damage. The shark was probably curious about the surfer and then frightened by the entanglement in the rope.

If the shark were attacking, a piece of the surfer or his board would be missing like when a shark bit off surfer Bethany Hamilton's left arm several years ago.

Yes, it is a frightening incident to experience. I am happy that the surfers are safe.

Sharks are usually present in even if we do not see them. They are generally curious, relatively cautious and have poor eyesight. Considering how many humans are swimming, surfing, diving, windsurfing, kite boarding etc in the world's oceans on any given day, true shark attacks are really rare.

Swimming with Sharks

Diving with Sharks

Hand Feeding Bull Sharks
MermaidMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 12:27   #7

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Shark Incident <> Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidMuse View Post
After watching this video several times I would contend that this would be better referenced as a shark "incident" rather than the media sensationalism of a shark "attack".

Most of what is shown is the shark trying to free itself from entanglement in the surfer's leg rope. No one was bitten. No boards were bitten. Only the leg rope suffered damage. The shark was probably curious about the surfer and then frightened by the entanglement in the rope.

If the shark were attacking, a piece of the surfer or his board would be missing like when a shark bit off surfer Bethany Hamilton's left arm several years ago.

Yes, it is a frightening incident to experience. I am happy that the surfers are safe.

Sharks are usually present in even if we do not see them. They are generally curious, relatively cautious and have poor eyesight. Considering how many humans are swimming, surfing, diving, windsurfing, kite boarding etc in the world's oceans on any given day, true shark attacks are really rare.

Swimming with Sharks

Diving with Sharks

Hand Feeding Bull Sharks
ABSOLUTELY agree. This was no "attack". It was an "encounter" at worst/best. Given the size of that animal had it being predating the surfer, we would be lucky if it had left the toes…
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 13:55   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Shark Incident <> Shark Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
ABSOLUTELY agree. This was no "attack". It was an "encounter" at worst/best. Given the size of that animal had it being predating the surfer, we would be lucky if it had left the toes…
It was scared, tangled; fortunately the surfer was able to swim to safety, would never have happened if he'd been the target. However, I do think it was prudent to cancel the rest of the meet. That was one big shark.

Ann
Old 22-07-2015, 21:20   #9

This was an amazing video. I agree there wasn't an attack. I bet he sure was beat up though by the event though! He looked like he hurting pretty bad!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote