Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

Maybe we could send this thread to CNN, FoxNews and CSpan. Proof positive of why the country is going down toilet. Everyone wants everything but only for themselves because they deserve. Everyone should disavow the consumer economy that has been forced on us, but of course accounts for 70% of private sector employment.

"Free healthcare" makes hamburgers $32 but somehow their Heath outcomes are way better than ours with 1/2 the cost per capita. Of course guys like the frequents posters here are sucking down the vast quantity of US healthcare dollars whilst the dollar store managers are actually dying faster than ever.

Good news is these 45-54 y/0 high school enducated white males are the lifeblood of the GOP electorate. So overall, I'm optimistic things will turn around within the next 20 years.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:12   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Robert A Heinlein I believe,

Bread and Circuses' is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader – the barbarians enter Rome.

Mine was a lovely world – until the parasites took over.

Not meant to be a political statement, such is not allowed, and I'm not saying I agree, but it is an interesting perspective.
Written many years ago I think?

I believe Benjamin Franklin also made such or similar statements, nothing new here folks
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:58   #63

Boat: Seafarer36c

Does Bernie have a sailboat?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:18   #64
Marine Service Provider

We totally have the circus covered, never heard that one before. Quite relevant.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Big profit over peoples health is always a dubious ethic. Why not charge for Firemen? Charge for Police protection too!
There's a name for people who think this way...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:16   #66

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:25   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Too bad machines don't by hamburgers.

This is all part of the drive for the lowest price, at any cost kind of mentality that now grips consumer capitalism. Henry Ford understood the dangers of this approach. Sadly, we are no longer this wise. Can't stop it ... until the revolution comes . Go Bernie Go!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:42   #68

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Very true Pegu. In consumer-driven economies (which virtually all capitalist economies are now) the populace is programmed to keep buying more, whether we need the stuff or not.

Of course, it is possible to resist, and to say no to the big boat, new outboard or fancy chartplotter. But when all the messaging our culture continually blasts at us of: buy, Buy, BUY! it is very hard to resist.

Advertising does work. But social norms, peer pressure, and the old "keeping up with the Jones" are all very real. One has to be very strong to resist the tide of culture. Which is why I say the best way to spend less is to leave.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
I agree completely. In preparation for our departure we have made a considered effort to eliminate what we call unnessesary spending, Cable TV, expensive cell phone data plans etc etc. Over the last several years the amount of money we have "not" spent has almost paid for our boat. we can"t wait to shove off and leave the treadmill behind.

Oh by the way, really like your tag line.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:29   #69
Marine Service Provider

The key to the hamburger thing is to deport all the illegals after we have Mexico build us the wall. I'm actually not sure of all the exact details and math, but I know it'll be GREAT!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:34   #70
Marine Service Provider

I will be trying to stay awake to watch SNL tomorrow night to get the exact info and will report back to those saving money by not having TVs.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:51   #71

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I have visited places where there are few material possessions, places where another American said to me that she would not take pictures of such poverty.

And yet, the people smiled a lot, were friendly, and seemed content without all the things Americans (and probably other "first world" countries) expect. It made me wonder about the nature of "poverty": is one "poor" who has everything he wants?

It occurred to me that those people were quite content, had some extremely civilized ways of problem solving. Downside? Lower life expectancy. And of course, these subsistence level economies are changing very fast, too.

Ann
Old 06-11-2015, 12:29   #72

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Robert A Heinlein I believe,

Bread and Circuses' is the cancer of democracy, the fatal disease for which there is no cure. Democracy often works beautifully at first. But once a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader – the barbarians enter Rome.

Mine was a lovely world – until the parasites took over.

Not meant to be a political statement, such is not allowed, and I'm not saying I agree, but it is an interesting perspective.
Written many years ago I think?

I believe Benjamin Franklin also made such or similar statements, nothing new here folks
This concept is often credited to Alexis de Tocqueville.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 13:51   #73
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Same old story. The rich complaining about their tax money going to subsidize the poor, yet if the rich paid a living wage they wouldn't have to worry about that.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 15:57   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

A reminder.

Politics, unless it relates directly to sailing is not allowed on this forum. Some of the comments are skirting that rule.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-11-2015, 16:12   #75

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I have visited places where there are few material possessions, places where another American said to me that she would not take pictures of such poverty.

And yet, the people smiled a lot, were friendly, and seemed content without all the things Americans (and probably other "first world" countries) expect. It made me wonder about the nature of "poverty": is one "poor" who has everything he wants?

It occurred to me that those people were quite content, had some extremely civilized ways of problem solving. Downside? Lower life expectancy. And of course, these subsistence level economies are changing very fast, too.

Ann
I've witnessed this so much through SE Asia , particularly the Philippines and parts of Indonesia. It's really made be question what wealth is? Other than the big cities I haven't seen true poverty, I've seen kids smiley and happy paddling out to me in canoes or pieces of polystyrene. I've Been to villages that have no money but just aren't poor. Australia is in my opinion a land of poor wealthy people!

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price